Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Finally got my first live RF - blinds are 5/1 I am BB

JK clubs - a few limpers and SB raises to 3k - I call as does 1 other

Flop is 9c 4d Qc

SB bets 2k I call other limper folds

Turn is 10c - straight flush - yeah - SB bets 2k I call

River is Ac giving me my first RF - SB bets 2k again and I think about it - SB is big stack and likes to splash chips around if he hits but can also fold if he smells something off

I decide to raise to 6k and after thinking about it for as minute he calls and turns over Ah 5C and says I guess your club is higher - uh yeah :D

As the A hit I slide my phone from my pocket and put it on the table .

When he called I asked him if he missed my tell - he said what tell - ''pulling my phone out ''

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Finally got my first live RF - blinds are 5/1 I am BB

JK clubs - a few limpers and SB raises to 3k - I call as does 1 other

Flop is 9c 4d Qc

SB bets 2k I call other limper folds

Turn is 10c - straight flush - yeah - SB bets 2k I call

River is Ac giving me my first RF - SB bets 2k again and I think about it - SB is big stack and likes to splash chips around if he hits but can also fold if he smells something off

I decide to raise to 6k and after thinking about it for as minute he calls and turns over Ah 5C and says I guess your club is higher - uh yeah :D

As the A hit I slide my phone from my pocket and put it on the table .

When he called I asked him if he missed my tell - he said what tell - ''pulling my phone out ''
Congrats mate

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
As I head off for the State Champs I was reminded how fickle poker can be and especially the river card

Game 1 blinds are 2/400 and it folds around to Button who raises to 800 SB folds and BB calls the min raise

Flop is JQspades and Qdiamond - BB checks Button bets 2k - call

Turn is 10Spades - opening up the flush - the royal flush , straight flush etc - BB checks and Button shoves his stack - BB calls

Button shows AK Diamonds for the straight - BB shows Q6 for the set

''gonna have to pair the board to win here''

Now Button does something interesting - he holds deck in his hand and puts the burn card down then pulls the River card towards him instead of over and down.

Looks at the card - flings it across the table with the deck following and walks out

Set hit his 6 for the Full House

----

Blinds are 1/2k I am SB UTG 2 calls - folds around to me with 56D - I call as does BB

Flop is 34h 7D - flopped the straight you beauty - I check BB bets 2500 - UTG2 calls I raise to 7k - BB shoves as UTG gets out of the way and I call

Fairly even stack and on checking he has 1k more than me

I show my straight ands he shows Trip 7s - 'oh he needs to pair the board''

9D on the turn opening up flush and straight flush option for me

And its a 3 on the River to see me out for the night

-----

Good luck to all who may be lucky enough to play this weekend and remember its never over till its over

I recently returned to the APL felt for the first time in years.
60+ players. Bit nervy to begin, played very tight.

Early on I folded a Q9h from the button (despite a few limpers) just to see a Q9x flop. Full house got there, and the hand saw a bit of action. All good.
Won a few hands without any showdown action. Don't know whether it was because of my tight image, or if they saw any tells of strength.
Chipped up a little, but was still playing tight.

Not much later I called a min raise from late with 55, then BB only one to call after. Flop came A52 all diamonds.
BB put out a large bet, then middle shoved.
A call would be all-in, but with BB still to come, I folded. BB called and both flipped over diamond flushes. Turn was x, river was an A (thanks Barry Greenstein).
Would've made another full house, but I had plenty of BB's left so didn't want to get into flips early.

Moved tables, shortly after I faced a raise in the BB with 1010, all others folded to me.
Called, then saw A10x on the flop. I checked, then faced all-in bet. Insta-called obviously.
Villain flipped over AKo and didn't improve. Nice hand to win, had plenty of BB's now with about half the room emptied.

Won a few more smaller hands and found myself making the final table. Dealer said 7/9 players would cash.
I was about 6th or 7th in chips.

2nd hand got dealt QQ on the button. Short stack shoved from middle, another short stacked pushed, then I shoved. Blinds folded.
Villains flipped over 77 and A9s but couldn't improve. In the money and feeling pretty comfortable now with a big stack.

Went card dead for a bit, then faced a showdown after opponent shoved pre-flop.
He flipped over A7s, I showed AQs. Unfortunately there was a 7 on the flop, and I couldn't hit a Q or flush.
Short stacked I waited for my spot. I shoved with 87s UTG, got 2 callers and busted in 5th place.

Not bad for my return.

Lost interest after the online poker ban. Played a few live games but online MTT's was where I liked to play.
Hopefully the Government will eventually stop treating us like children and re-evaluate poker as a game of skill, rather than gambling. Is there anyone championing the cause of online poker? Former senator David Leyjohnhelm was talking about it, but he quit in 2019.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
As I head off for the State Champs I was reminded how fickle poker can be and especially the river card

Game 1 blinds are 2/400 and it folds around to Button who raises to 800 SB folds and BB calls the min raise

Flop is JQspades and Qdiamond - BB checks Button bets 2k - call

Turn is 10Spades - opening up the flush - the royal flush , straight flush etc - BB checks and Button shoves his stack - BB calls

Button shows AK Diamonds for the straight - BB shows Q6 for the set

''gonna have to pair the board to win here''

Now Button does something interesting - he holds deck in his hand and puts the burn card down then pulls the River card towards him instead of over and down.

Looks at the card - flings it across the table with the deck following and walks out

Set hit his 6 for the Full House

----

Blinds are 1/2k I am SB UTG 2 calls - folds around to me with 56D - I call as does BB

Flop is 34h 7D - flopped the straight you beauty - I check BB bets 2500 - UTG2 calls I raise to 7k - BB shoves as UTG gets out of the way and I call

Fairly even stack and on checking he has 1k more than me

I show my straight ands he shows Trip 7s - 'oh he needs to pair the board''

9D on the turn opening up flush and straight flush option for me

And its a 3 on the River to see me out for the night

-----

Good luck to all who may be lucky enough to play this weekend and remember its never over till its over
With the AK bloke getting rivered, I'm close to doing something like that myself with the current run I'm on :p though tbf I wouldn't consider that that bad of a beat if the guy already has trip queens, up to 10 outs once or 20% equity give or take, not like flopping top 2, still have top 2 on the turn and making the table pay up to see a river, then getting rivered when deuces on the board pair and your opponent is playing the Brunson and hits his 2 outer (yeah I folded to a check raise in disgust face up, he showed, quarter of my stack gone on that hand)

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Remember how I warned about the River

Running quite deep in the SA Champs and look down at JJ with 165k - blinds are - ehh doesnt matter I shoved the lot

BB calls and turns over AQ off

Ok still in this - every card and the turn is under 10 - carn - carn just give us a 4 or something

Queen on the river and I go and collect my cash

Very happy with my run and feeling positive about my long form game

Remember how I warned about the River

Running quite deep in the SA Champs and look down at JJ with 165k - blinds are - ehh doesnt matter I shoved the lot

BB calls and turns over AQ off

Ok still in this - every card and the turn is under 10 - carn - carn just give us a 4 or something

Queen on the river and I go and collect my cash

Very happy with my run and feeling positive about my long form game

Great result mate, need a bit of luck with flips to win these things, but getting deep is a good pay day.
Can't complain about the hand. Neither of you could fold.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I've been playing a bit more online poker recently, over my last 11 sessions I'm +121.8 BB in profit, It was way, way higher except I got absolutely smashed this morning losing 142.8 BB.....

I made some really stupid plays, I misread a bluff that I called down with pocket 9s and I put in a big bluff that got called and I was then trapped and had to commit even though I knew I was beat.

My sessions are usually short, I don't often play for longer than half hour at a time.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Finally bloody was able to chip up early on and play a few hands postflop after the break once the blinds started creeping up. Had a read on the 2 guys sitting across the other side of the table at the time who played a lot of position poker, called them down with just measly pocket pairs or low pairs as I put them on busted draws or overcards which never came, my reads were dead on 3-4 times, got 1 of them a little tilty, guy started 3 betting me preflop, lel, no harm done but as my holdings weren't great.

Finally bloody sucked out a few times and nailed draws on the river at crucial times and can't recall being sucked out on on the turn or river which was a regular occurrence in 4 of the first 5 games I played for the year.

Finally bloody was able to pick up the odd hand with a dwindling stack once the blinds crept up to 10/20 and 15/30 and get a few much needed double ups to pay for the next rounds of blinds.

Finally bloody made a final table, albeit limping there with just 120k (had 255k 45 minutes before that)

Finally bloody won a few flips straight away and got a few jams past the blinds at the final table, thus getting up to 330k and 1 decent double up away from being the chip leader.

Finally bloody won a huge 3 way all in behind and at risk, thus giving me the chip lead with 820k 5 handed after being the 2nd shortest stack at the start of the final table.

Finally bloody was able to watch all the dominoes fall around me after that and booked a win for the night (kod 5th, but took a split deal with 2nd, but I subsequently won the flip just hitting a pair of 5s on the flop, she did the hard work eliminating 3rd and 4th getting us up pay jumps)

Thank you very much KJ, AJ and KT for pulling through for me when needed though (queens and tens before the FT).

Boy that 5-6 week period I played from late January to the first Monday of this month was frustrating. Had 3 weeks off, played at the other venue I play at occasionally where I previously had my best result for the year, feel I run ok there, or at least I'm in with a chance, never finished outside of the points there, think about 11th or 12th is my worst result there, definitely a far better format too being a deepstack (40 start, 60 chip up compared to the regular 20-40s)

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So, crucial hand of the night

Final 6

I'm in the BB 50/100k bbs, I have 330k total

UTG sitting next to me limps in, he was the other short stack at the FT with me, but went on a heater and up to about 550-600k, dunno why he limped in at the price the blinds were, but anyways

Lady sitting opposite to me in the hijack jams her last 60k or so (she was done over bad the previous hand)

The big stack next to her in the cutoff calls/limps in too.

Button and SB fold, so I'm up against 2 players postflop and the all inner, I look at KT hearts. I'm surely up against 1 ace high holding if not 2, so I decide let's see a flop, it'll likely be the last one I get. If I flop nothing then it's a fold and I have 230k still for the next hand in the SB, or 180k if I fold that and have 3-4 hands to jam with before my next BB and it's quite easy to get big double ups now with the blinds where they were.

So yeah, I checked and saw the flop

Screenshot_20210324-002938_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Out comes 2 hearts and I have overcards to the board, ripper, should have decent equity here. I jam, UTG folds, big stack in the cutoff calls my 230k jam. I'm behind but with how I've ran tonight I feel I'll somehow get there

Screenshot_20210324-002957_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Bingo, I spike my 10 on the turn, gotta dodge the leftover aces or 9s on the river and the 4 of hearts I was looking for comes on the river to make it all sweeter. Upto 870k and the chip lead for the final 5 (got blinded down 50k next hand, so took 820k with me til the next blinds came)

Think it's the first time I've done a double fist pump after winning a hand, normally I just stack chips or take a deep breath out or shake someone's hand if I've eliminated them or something, but celebrations have never been a part of my game, but boy that was sheer relief.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
I caught one hand as I wondered through the new poker zone at Skycity Adelaide on Saturday night, but it was a beauty. Not sure on blinds but they were bigger than 2/2 and it was a new table, this may have been the first hand.

5-handed.
1 fold, UTG+1 bets $15, BB is the only caller.

Flop: A 8 6 rainbow.
BB checks, UTG +1 bets, BB raises, UTG+1 shoves, BB calls.
Turn J, river 3 with no running flush cards.

I'm expecting something like set over set given the flop action...
UTG+1 says "you're good", almost mucks, then sheepishly tables 75s for a missed OESD.
BB even more sheepishly tables 75s for a chop.

:oops:

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Absolutely peak shithoused my way to another final table last night

Played at a different venue in a neighbouring league, 25k start with 50k chip up, big game had 8 full tables.

Ran kind of ok early, chipped up 15k by the first break, then after that break it felt like about 50-60% of the rest of my cards for the rest of the night was kingrag, queenrag or jackrag, so frustrating, no pocket pairs after the first hour either, no decent ace holdings either (A7 and A9 in the blinds the best that came up)

About once every half hour I got 2 face cards or 2 broadway cards and had to jam with them, worked 3 times, helped me stay afloat to negotiate the blinds, but I only made the FT with 120k, miles behind the next short stacks who would've had 300-400k up against a few who would've had about a million, did get up to 260k after my last double up which was QJh vs 22 and I flopped a jack, but got absolutely no cards afterwards to give me any chance of a comeback, was just a survival grind.

Funny thing was I nearly shithoused my way to a cash, top 6 paid out, came 8th, just needed that 1 double up at the FT and I reckon I would have as I got a favourable late position seat too and saw a few hands until I was UTG and my hand was forced.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boy I played with some absolute donkeys tonight, made 1 stupidly nitty fold miles ahead with pocket tens after I got 4 betted all in. UTG min raises, 2 calls, I 3bet big out of the SB, 2 donkeys on my left call my 6.5bb raise (20% of my stack), donkey on tilt in middle position jams egging us on to flip with him, he has me covered. Would've called if the other 2 donkeys folded to my bet, funny enough they finally fold to the all in though, guy flips 65d....ended up runner runnering a straight to the all inner a few hands later though, so got my chips back plus some more at least, but yeah, SMH here...

Anyways, later on got 47k after going completely card dead after I was moved table, last hand before break 2, end of 5-10k level, I'm UTG, next level is 10-20kbbs where I'm blinded down straight up, pick up 9Tos, good enough for card dead me to jam and not get blinded down with s**t anymore, new guy to the table next to me flats it, chick next to him jams too who has me covered just, folds around to him and he's obviously calling it.

She has 2 red kings, he has J2 hearts, I'm thinking dafuq man why are you calling jams with that absolute s**t, was about a third of his stack he pissed away too. I flopped a ten, but the kings held, but boy cannot believe how he had 200k or so before that hand playing that rubbish, SMH again.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
but boy cannot believe how he had 200k or so before that hand playing that rubbish, SMH again.
I agree it doesnt make sense but I could make a case why

1. Pub poker
2. Because other people knew he played rubbish like that and he kept hitting

And maybe just maybe he calculated his stack was enough to have a shot at a flush - some people also get pot committed too much and once they bet they keep going to their own detriment

Thats where you make coin

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boy I played with some absolute donkeys tonight, made 1 stupidly nitty fold miles ahead with pocket tens after I got 4 betted all in. UTG min raises, 2 calls, I 3bet big out of the SB, 2 donkeys on my left call my 6.5bb raise (20% of my stack), donkey on tilt in middle position jams egging us on to flip with him, he has me covered. Would've called if the other 2 donkeys folded to my bet, funny enough they finally fold to the all in though, guy flips 65d....ended up runner runnering a straight to the all inner a few hands later though, so got my chips back plus some more at least, but yeah, SMH here...

You have to assume that the 2 players who called your raise would fold to a re-shove from you. They clearly don't have a better hand than TT by the fact they flatted your first raise with players behind.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
You have to assume that the 2 players who called your raise would fold to a re-shove from you. They clearly don't have a better hand than TT by the fact they flatted your first raise with players behind.
I did, however I was afraid of 2 things

Their stack sizes could easily call off here considering none were at risk and wouldn't be that a big dent for them seeing they were both chipping up previously

Overcards they may have held

Took the conservative route here, if I had QQ+/AK etc I obviously call though, 99-TT-JJ right on the edge

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Played my first session at Crown since the pandemic on Tuesday night, was good to be back on the felt. Initially only planned to play 6pm-9pm but stuck around later biding my time trying to pick off a young LAG player who was drinking pints and getting more and more chirpy as the evening went on and he accumulated chips. The real highlight was a young woman who sat down with $300 clearly never having played poker before and who spoke very little English. She lasted all of 10 hands before being stacked for what was left by yours truly with 99 on a 4 5 6 7 10 board.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Played my first session at Crown since the pandemic on Tuesday night, was good to be back on the felt. Initially only planned to play 6pm-9pm but stuck around later biding my time trying to pick off a young LAG player who was drinking pints and getting more and more chirpy as the evening went on and he accumulated chips. The real highlight was a young woman who sat down with $300 clearly never having played poker before and who spoke very little English. She lasted all of 10 hands before being stacked for what was left by yours truly with 99 on a 4 5 6 7 10 board.
Play nice Ashley ;)

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I did, however I was afraid of 2 things

Their stack sizes could easily call off here considering none were at risk and wouldn't be that a big dent for them seeing they were both chipping up previously

Overcards they may have held

Took the conservative route here, if I had QQ+/AK etc I obviously call though, 99-TT-JJ right on the edge
You had 33bb, that would have to be a fair chunk of their stack unless it was really early in the night or they had huge stacks. Very hard for anyone to call 2 all-ins without a huge hand.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
You had 33bb, that would have to be a fair chunk of their stack unless it was really early in the night or they had huge stacks. Very hard for anyone to call 2 all-ins without a huge hand.
Twas 50 minutes in, them 2 and another guy were well ahead on chips chipping up on rest of table

They were happy to call off my 6.5bb raise with whatever they had, particularly UTG guy who seemed to be a fairly tight player (BB a donkey but had been running good)

If I wasn't at risk of using my chip up early still having to get through 2 others, or if I had donkey jammer covered then I'd call

Been caught out out of position previously even when I had a strong hand, heads up I like my chances, not 3 way, I have to be extremely strong to commit there

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Final Table blinds 15/30

I have 30k

''Look after me dealer'' - Dealer button hits 2 spots left - mission accomplished.

fold fold fold fold fold until I am UTG and not many moves left - look down at 9s - all in oh call oh *

utg3 calls HJ calls SB folds BB doesnt raise - 135k in front of me 'look after me dealer'

flop has a 9 and nothing higher

UTG3 jams and gets folds

Turns over AA and I show my trip 9s

They hold and I manage to skate my way to top 4 and my first cash in 6 weeks

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Final Table blinds 15/30

I have 30k

''Look after me dealer'' - Dealer button hits 2 spots left - mission accomplished.

fold fold fold fold fold until I am UTG and not many moves left - look down at 9s - all in oh call oh fu**

utg3 calls HJ calls SB folds BB doesnt raise - 135k in front of me 'look after me dealer'

UTG3 jams and gets folds

Nice

Gotta love cashing when you're looking likely to be one of the first out

Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Final Table blinds 15/30

I have 30k

fold fold fold fold fold until I am UTG and not many moves left - look down at 9s - all in oh call oh fu**

UTG3 jams and gets folds

This had all the makings of a bad beat with the Ace hitting on the river. Nice hold! haha

Back