Bad Beat/Vent/Brag thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've probably mentioned it before, but does anyone have bogey venues or nights? Really feel Mondays and Fridays reek for me.

I went through a few months of playing every Wednesday at the same venue, and I finished in the money a few times, won it once.

So I started playing at the same venue on Sundays, and it was totally different. Tables full of flogs, dumb betting, and rubbish luck. I probably only went 5-6 times and gave up, it just wasn't fun, and I never got near the money.

Geez this season absolutely reeks, aside from 2 2nds and a 3rd, so many ****** suckouts I've copped

5/10kbbs

AQ5 board, 2 clubs, I have Q4 4 of clubs in the BB, have about 5 blinds left after my BB/ante, don't like my kicker, check, UTG checks, donkey in position bets out 35k (I have like 50k), makes absolutely no sense to me, he'd raise preflop with an ace or pocket 5s, feel I'm only behind a better queen here and he's trying to take it down with air, I do the maths and work out I'd have like over 140k with a double up, I jam, UTG folds, donkey throws in a chip and says I'm ahead

He has K4, I have him crushed, but the king of clubs, out comes runner runner clubs **** this game sometimes, better to be lucky than good

A big, big milestone for me today, winning my first $1000 prize. (As in, winning - I've had one $1000 prize once before, but I finished 2nd.)

It was a weird few hours of playing actually. After some of the most boring poker I've ever played, it soon felt like some of the easiest poker I'd ever played, being dealt hands that were obvious bet or folds, and having opponents betting big when I was confident I had the best hand. And probably the difference between a ho-hum result and a win is not getting river'd on those hands that you were winning and your opponent shouldn't have bet - I didn't really have any of those today either.

And today wasn't that thing where I usually end up in the top 10 stacks early and hold on for as long as I can - I had rubbish for nearly 2 hours today. From a starting stack of 10k, after about 2 hours I was only on about 13k... but after the 3rd hour I had about 270k, then by the end of the 4th hour I was on nearly 700k, and no one else in the tournament had yet passed 500k.

My 2nd place getter today might've been upset, the final hand was me all in on pocket 8s, he had pocket Qs, hit his trips on the flop, and then I hit 8s on the turn and the river to get one of the very, very few 4 of a kinds I've ever had. Poor bastard lost on a full boot to a pair of runners.

Poker, hey? Following on from that result earlier today, I thought "I'd better capitalise on the good form and have another go."

I jumped into a small buy-in tournament... 2nd hand of the tournament I had AA cracked by a flush and busted :D

A big, big milestone for me today, winning my first $1000 prize. (As in, winning - I've had one $1000 prize once before, but I finished 2nd.)

It was a weird few hours of playing actually. After some of the most boring poker I've ever played, it soon felt like some of the easiest poker I'd ever played, being dealt hands that were obvious bet or folds, and having opponents betting big when I was confident I had the best hand. And probably the difference between a ho-hum result and a win is not getting river'd on those hands that you were winning and your opponent shouldn't have bet - I didn't really have any of those today either.

And today wasn't that thing where I usually end up in the top 10 stacks early and hold on for as long as I can - I had rubbish for nearly 2 hours today. From a starting stack of 10k, after about 2 hours I was only on about 13k... but after the 3rd hour I had about 270k, then by the end of the 4th hour I was on nearly 700k, and no one else in the tournament had yet passed 500k.

My 2nd place getter today might've been upset, the final hand was me all in on pocket 8s, he had pocket Qs, hit his trips on the flop, and then I hit 8s on the turn and the river to get one of the very, very few 4 of a kinds I've ever had. Poor bastard lost on a full boot to a pair of runners.
Congratulations on the score. Your path to victory is not unusual - every big score I've had I've only been average stack or just above most of the tournament, then hit hands when it mattered. I've never gone wire-to-wire at the top of the count, not even in a nightly pub tournament.

Congratulations on the score. Your path to victory is not unusual - every big score I've had I've only been average stack or just above most of the tournament, then hit hands when it mattered. I've never gone wire-to-wire at the top of the count, not even in a nightly pub tournament.
This

I've generally started the final table 4th or 5th in chips whenever I've won, absorbed a few blinds and waited patiently for the spots to go hard and capitalise, I've always came top 3 when I've had the chip lead though start of the FT.

Had one win with the 2nd smallest stack at the FT in 2021 I think, arsiest I've probably ran, kept getting it in behind with overs or draws against pairs and kept hitting my outs

The power of the snowmen. Glorious.

A few pages back there were talks about the cursed snowmen.

I tell you, I'm friggen cursed with Aces at the moment. I was busted out the other day with AA, last night I busted out with a good stack just before I made the money against a flush, and just today I've had AA, the other bloke goes all in and turns over TT, then it comes KQJ, and I knew the 9 was coming.

Then the hand that ultimately knocked me out today when I went all in on JJ?

******* Aces man.

Last edited:
A few pages back there were talks about the cursed snowmen.

I tell you, I'm friggen cursed with Aces at the moment. I was busted out the other day with AA, last night I busted out with a good stack just before I made the money against a flush, and just today I've had AA, the other bloke goes all in and turns over TT, then it comes KQJ, and I knew the 9 was coming.

Then the hand that ultimately knocked me out today when I went all in on JJ?

******* Aces man.
Always the way mate

Opponents with 8s and A8 used to eliminate me alot when I never won a flip with those hands

Actually won another flip with 8s at risk on Tuesday night, 2 in a row now, the years of whinging and bitching about them are finally coming home to roost. Was absolutely card dead or 2nd best the first 2 hours of a double money end of the month special, picked up black 8s with like 34k left 2-4kbbs, jammed, called by ATd in the sb, board ran clean and I had like 72k.

After that I started picking up jamming hands and chipped right up always got it in ahead at risk and they held, never had these hands earlier on, weird how the night changed, came 7th and min cashed wasn't expecting that, probably played too aggressively in some spots with marginal hands when I wasn't at risk late on, had the stack to win the night a few times. All well, ended up being a late one, walked out at 1205, still 6 handed, could've went to 1am as we were 7 handed for ages and I the aggressor a few times trying to make things happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, so I was the highest ranked flog at my Friday venue without a cash for the season there, ffs. Last night I typically get to the final 2 tables, no suckouts last night, got away from a few cooler situations to preserve my stack, but I flop humongous draws twice 1 an open ender with also the 2 overs for 14 outs twice, another a queen high diamond draw with 1 over, board pairing aces on the turn giving me more river outs and they typically both brick out and I'm out, 220k to out in 2 hands.

So I went through my 2 bogey days over the 4 years I've played APL

Mondays, played 19, best result a 2nd where I won a few bounties and a $25 venue voucher as it was an el cheapo game before covid hit in 2020, does that count as a cash as it's not recorded as one? I threw in the towel on Mondays in May 2021

Fridays, played 13, 0 cashes, just 3 final tables where I was a short stack, far too many bust outs in the final 2 tables when I got it in miles ahead and got sucked out on where there was a shitload in the pot

32 weekly games for just a venue voucher across those 2 nights

All other weekly games days

Played 53, 15 cashes including 3 wins

Thursday played 19, 3 cashes including 2 wins and a 4th
Tuesday played 11, 4 cashes including 1 win (1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th)
Sunday played 11, 5 cashes (2nd, 2x3rd, 4th, 6th)
Wednesday played 7, 2 cashes (3rd and 6th)
Saturday played 5, 1 cash (2nd), played cash games at Crown a few times on Saturday's when I was a youngun, did ok back then too

How much longer do I persist with Friday's for? With my current job it's one of the best nights of the week to play, but what's the point when the deck is always against me? Why absolutely 0 variance on that night? I was on what I considered a bad run of Tuesdays lately, but I stuck it out and min cashed in a big game this Tuesday just gone. The first 9 Thursdays I played before covid struck I was a beginner and even back then I picked up a win and a 4th placed cash and I'm a far better player now than back then, but the last 10 since then I have always played in 65-110 player fields, so I'm not bothered by that ratio, had some solid outings for just the 1 win, plenty of final 2/3 tables. But yeah, absolute zero variance on Fridays, I've played at 3 different venues on the night, same old s**t.

What variance do you see in the players night to night?

My experience has been Friday night is Bomb Pot night. Have a million drinks play any 2 cards and suck out the tight nitty fish for the lols

Everybody is letting off steam and not playing 100% poker
Sundays and Tuesdays are relatively passive/relaxed. I have found on Sundays in particular to be patient and just wait for the hands to come to profit off.

I guess Wednesdays and Fridays are more loosey goosey, Wednesday because it's the deepest stack game I play but 12 minute levels and turns into a bingofest but even then I've cashed twice there. How many more times do I have to get it in miles ahead on a Friday with my opponent calling with just a 2 outer sucking out, or how many more huge draws have to brick out at pivotal times of the night (always final 2 tables, 10-15 players left) before I finally have some luck?

Only played 1 venue on a Saturday so I can't comment there

Thursdays I find to be the biggest mix of players and the biggest challenge, but I enjoy it. Probably the closest night to a weekend tournament in terms of play.

Everyone plays the same way once the blinds are 5/10k or 10/20k etc, it's the early stages where it's different to negotiate. The variance I mean is the variance in run good/bad. Every other day seems similar, just not Mondays or Fridays.

Curse this game...

Down to the final 3 of an online tourny. I'm on the button and raise my Jd10d x4 bigs. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop is 9d5d4c.

He raises 2 bigs, so it's an obvious call.

Turn is Js, so I've got the top pair and the flush draw and go all in.

He calls and turns over Ad4d, so a bottom pair and a flush draw.

Of course the flush comes on the river and I've stepped into a massive landmine on that flush draw :(

Last edited:
Made another deep run in a state champs on the weekend, however I went card dead at the wrong time and hung on to dear life looking for pay jumps/make the FT but busted out in the final 2 tables at 100-200kbbs with a 200k ante which ruined my stack, that being said I seem to fare far better in those compared to APLPT main events

Lol, so I was the highest ranked flog at my Friday venue without a cash for the season there, ffs. Last night I typically get to the final 2 tables, no suckouts last night, got away from a few cooler situations to preserve my stack, but I flop humongous draws twice 1 an open ender with also the 2 overs for 14 outs twice, another a queen high diamond draw with 1 over, board pairing aces on the turn giving me more river outs and they typically both brick out and I'm out, 220k to out in 2 hands.

So I went through my 2 bogey days over the 4 years I've played APL

Mondays, played 19, best result a 2nd where I won a few bounties and a $25 venue voucher as it was an el cheapo game before covid hit in 2020, does that count as a cash as it's not recorded as one? I threw in the towel on Mondays in May 2021

Fridays, played 13, 0 cashes, just 3 final tables where I was a short stack, far too many bust outs in the final 2 tables when I got it in miles ahead and got sucked out on where there was a shitload in the pot

32 weekly games for just a venue voucher across those 2 nights

All other weekly games days

Played 53, 15 cashes including 3 wins

Thursday played 19, 3 cashes including 2 wins and a 4th
Tuesday played 11, 4 cashes including 1 win (1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th)
Sunday played 11, 5 cashes (2nd, 2x3rd, 4th, 6th)
Wednesday played 7, 2 cashes (3rd and 6th)
Saturday played 5, 1 cash (2nd), played cash games at Crown a few times on Saturday's when I was a youngun, did ok back then too

How much longer do I persist with Friday's for? With my current job it's one of the best nights of the week to play, but what's the point when the deck is always against me? Why absolutely 0 variance on that night? I was on what I considered a bad run of Tuesdays lately, but I stuck it out and min cashed in a big game this Tuesday just gone. The first 9 Thursdays I played before covid struck I was a beginner and even back then I picked up a win and a 4th placed cash and I'm a far better player now than back then, but the last 10 since then I have always played in 65-110 player fields, so I'm not bothered by that ratio, had some solid outings for just the 1 win, plenty of final 2/3 tables. But yeah, absolute zero variance on Fridays, I've played at 3 different venues on the night, same old s**t.
8s and Fridays can always EAD

Changed venue again, same old story

Reckon all these times 8s have been cracked it's been with QJ and they hit on the river time and time again

Had some luck when I was short bingo time, sucked out with 97h vs 9s and made a flush, eliminated a guy the next hand, then final tabled with a middling stack thought here we go, is this going to be the night. Was so card dry at the FT, similar cut of the deck to what I had last weekend at state champs, had to take my stack down to 195k a few times at 30-60 and 40-80, I pick up the 8s with like 350k, guy has limped in next to me, I jam, folds around to him, he tanks but calls, A5A4 runout, yep queen on the river... would've been chip leader or 2nd for chips had they held, but nope, poker gods won't allow it.

8s and Mondays can also EAD 😆😆😆

Only playing cos Anzac eve and my 18 game quota, 1st Monday game in nearly 2 years

FT and playing solidly, go card dead at the FT but negotiate it to 5th and on the bubble, get them stinking bloody snowman again in the SB facing a jam from a stack that has 50k less, I know I'm ahead and call but feel another suck out is on the cards

He has 5s and flops a set...out the next hand when 10s got mown down by AK, Monday hoodoo continues

I'm pretty much folding these cards all the time from now on in these circumstances, they can not be trusted to ever hold. I'll only make donations trying to eliminate short stacks with it from now on

Got it in ahead and won every single flip at risk/not at risk tonight until I was heads up (think I won 6 before heads up), had to hit 2 outers twice at the final table after being outflopped/turned but found a way to get there (turned a set of 3s vs A4 after he flopped a 4, also massively sucked out with A7 vs KQd, had to get a non diamond ace on the river, ace of hearts comes).

Took out 7th, 5th and 3rd on the way to a 2nd. Not bad from being card dead for over an hour to start, $310. Still a bit shitty about last Friday and Monday, but all well, the run good I felt was overdue.

Finally broke my Monday monkey

Took just the 21 games and 7 final tables with a heap of final 2 table bust outs to cash on that stinking night, this is with an almost 2 year hiatus playing on that night (played it regularly 2019-21 when we weren't in lockdown). 2nd game back from my hiatus, I guess I'm a far more experienced and competent player now, but jeez that reeked. Nearly bubbled again, another short stack kept getting it in behind and kept sucking out to heighten my anxiety, held on for a min cash though after folding endless marginal hands UTG.

Hopefully means I might cash on a Friday now, seeing it's the only night I haven't broken through on still. Currently sitting on 18 games, 4 final tables and far too many final 2 table bad beats, I am a far more experienced player also with the Friday run bad compared to Monday's when I was just starting out playing local games before covid interrupted.

For some context here
Sunday (my first official APL cash), 1st time around
Thursday, 2nd time around
Tuesday, 4th time around, 3rd final table
Wednesday, third time
Saturday, third time (and that was start of this year, I am currently 4/8 cashes on Saturdays this year, my best run of days at the moment)

Sunday, Thursday and Tuesday I'd consider myself as a beginner at those points where I first cashed. That Wednesday cash was when I was starting to figure it out early last year after a somewhat enforced break where I only played once in about 11 months, but watched alot of stuff online trying to learn and understand better. Anyways, see how many more Fridays I have to play before it comes.

Tourney last week: go on break after the 48-person field is narrowed to a final table of eight. Six make the money. One wag suggests a bubble deal for seventh, lopping a bit off first and second for the person finishing seventh. Dealer says it's not possible because a player has anonymously told them that they don't want a deal. (Assume this was done on break.)

I'd never heard of this before. Don't mind people knocking back deals but reckon it's pretty weird doing it anonymously.

Anyway, never found out who the rat was and we ended up in a four-way chop so perhaps they busted earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back