Bad Food - the dishes that make you shudder

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, if I'm gonna spend $40, might as well make it a European brand like Heineken, Stella, Lowenbrau etc; more drinkable than the US brands. If I'm spending $50 plus, it has to be a craft beer or top quality imported beer.

Yeah, if I'm gonna spend $40, might as well make it a European brand like Heineken, Stella, Lowenbrau etc; more drinkable than the US brands. If I'm spending $50 plus, it has to be a craft beer or top quality imported beer.
A lot of that s**t is probably brewed here.

Also it's very hard to get a carton for 40 bucks these days. Reckon the closest I've seen is a very one-off special once every so often for something like Stella or Carlsberg. Even Coopers is 45 bucks. Slabs used to be 40 bucks for something alright and now we're being stung ten bucks more in less than five years.

WA needs to follow the independents idea in Melbs of importing Peroni red and shipping it for $35. Crackin beer I'd pay 45 for as a regular fall back, but for that price it's outrageous – malty, heavy in the mouth, but has a few things going on and you can have about 20 if need be.

Also it's very hard to get a carton for 40 bucks these days. Reckon the closest I've seen is a very one-off special once every so often for something like Stella or Carlsberg. Even Coopers is 45 bucks. Slabs used to be 40 bucks for something alright and now we're being stung ten bucks more in less than five years.

WA needs to follow the independents idea in Melbs of importing Peroni red and shipping it for $35. Crackin beer I'd pay 45 for as a regular fall back, but for that price it's outrageous – malty, heavy in the mouth, but has a few things going on and you can have about 20 if need be.
I can always find one of Stella, Heineken or Becks for $40 round my way. But yeah, $45 for Coopers, $50 for Boags is ridiculous. Have been finding John Boston for $45, which is a decent pick-up.

I can always find one of Stella, Heineken or Becks for $40 round my way. But yeah, $45 for Coopers, $50 for Boags is ridiculous. Have been finding John Boston for $45, which is a decent pick-up.
John Boston sucks nuts – who'd wanna rip off James *in Boags? It's Woolworths made and they're charging far too much for what's no-nothing and basically a mid strength (stubbies containing 1.1 is woeful).

Yeah James Squire. Wrong surname, but James Squire and their shitty little scummy pubs are terrible too.

James Boags Premium is $50ish a carton because it's high in alcohol (1.5 standards?), the other one I haven't seen for ages... apparently it's been overtaken by Furphy in Victoria (though they might be owned by different companies).

I'm glad I don't buy cartons of beer much anymore going by the increased prices, I'd rather drink bourbon and prices of bottles haven't increased that much.

I bought a sixer (sixy?) of Sierra Nevada from the supermarket in Austin. Cost me about $7. I think it's $25 at my local Dan Murphy's.

Didn't buy any PBR over the counter but in pubs it cost nothing. I remember getting some snack combo in a Nashville bar that was a hot dog, bag of chips and a PBR and that was $5. Cartons of cheapshit beer in the states are about $15 from memory. Bottles of standard spirits about $10-15.

Not sure why anyone would buy PBR, Bud etc. here for $40 a carton let alone $50-60+. I'd rather just get a cheap local carton that at least has some flavour, or if spending craft beer money get craft beer.

I saw cartons of beer for as low as $6 at Walmart when I was in the States but that was back in 1999 so they've probably increased in price since then.

The cheapest s**t from memory was PBR and Old Milwaukee, I bought Red Dog Bitter which was slightly better quality but still a bargain at under $10.

Just on that, the Heineken, Stella, Becks etc are brewed in Malaysia and/or Thailand. You can get euro imported from independents and IGA's but they aren't the normal.

I bought a sixer (sixy?) of Sierra Nevada from the supermarket in Austin. Cost me about $7. I think it's $25 at my local Dan Murphy's.

Didn't buy any PBR over the counter but in pubs it cost nothing. I remember getting some snack combo in a Nashville bar that was a hot dog, bag of chips and a PBR and that was $5. Cartons of cheapshit beer in the states are about $15 from memory. Bottles of standard spirits about $10-15.

Not sure why anyone would buy PBR, Bud etc. here for $40 a carton let alone $50-60+. I'd rather just get a cheap local carton that at least has some flavour, or if spending craft beer money get craft beer.

I was in Palo Alto/Mountain View for a while in the mid 2000's and yeah Sierra was damn cheap, I loved it.......not enough to pay $24 per six pack here.

Sierra Nevada is awesome, can't believe a 20 pack there is the same price (or even cheaper) than six here.

I reckon independents have the best deals here these days. Quite often they buy palettes that are overstock or swiped stuff so you can get some great stuff really cheap... I remember getting cartons of Little Creatures IPA for $45 (usually nearly double that), this 'white IPA' which was actually quite good for $30 because the carton was labelled inside out (I thought it was some marketing thing) and saw a four or six pack retail for $22 once. Dan's have some okay deals but quite often they rope you into buying a certain amount of something first. I dunno. It's nice walking into some random place and walking out with a total steal.

I'm glad I don't buy cartons of beer much anymore going by the increased prices, I'd rather drink bourbon and prices of bottles haven't increased that much.
Bit disappointed you drink bourbon, always imagined you as someone who bought a slab every Tuesday and knocked off a couple a night in some apartment in Leederville or East Perth. And then would end up having seven or eight on a Thursday night while reminiscing about 1980s post-punk...

Dan Murphy's often flog stuff off that is close to code. Usually imported craft stuff that sells a 6 pack every few weeks at best.

One of the things I liked about buying booze overseas is that they don't have the same mark-ups on 4/6 packs that we do here. $50 carton, $20 6 pack is common here. Overseas it's more like $40 carton, $10 6 pack in a lot of places which is awesome for trying new stuff.

I saw cartons of beer for as low as $6 at Walmart when I was in the States but that was back in 1999 so they've probably increased in price since then.

The cheapest s**t from memory was PBR and Old Milwaukee, I bought Red Dog Bitter which was slightly better quality but still a bargain at under $10.

They're a bit over $1 a beer here. Around $19 + tax for a 15-pack. About $5 cheaper across the border.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Murphy's often flog stuff off that is close to code. Usually imported craft stuff that sells a 6 pack every few weeks at best.
Yep Dan Murphy's hunting can be great value - they have promos to get people to sign up for Dan Murphy's cards every so often, the last one they had some really malty craft beer for $13 per six-pack.
It's not really a sessional drink but it's fantastic for a couple before heading out for the night.

Had the best pizza of my life in NYC, just a random place near Grand Central that catered to the lunchtime crowd and a simple pepperoni topping but it was bloody amazing.
Also racked up 90 different US beers between two trips a few years back. Anyone who says US beer is crap because they think it starts and ends with Budweiser is an absolute moron.
Nothing wrong with US beer at all, I'd prefer Coors over most Aussie beers. Had the best steak of my life at a place in NYC.

The smell of cooked or uncooked seafood makes me gag. Tuna and shellfish are the worst.

The smell of cooked or uncooked seafood makes me gag. Tuna and shellfish are the worst.
Guessing your girlfriend doesn't get much love downstairs then

Yeah, nah. Yuck.

That being said I don't actually mind Budweiser.

Describes beer as 'yuck'. Approves of Budweiser.

85915-Wendell-Pierce-gif-lWN2.gif

When you go in a big group to a yum cha and the one who is going for the first time thinks it will be hilarious to order the chicken's feet. Then they have about two bites and leave the rest. It probably costs like $12.

In fact, there should be a rule for skips at a yum cha: if you order the chicken's feet and it doesn't get finished, you pay for it yourself (i.e. it's separate to the rest of the bill).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back