Autopsy Bad injury run continues, R18 Dogs lose to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I just wonder, a 17yr olds bones are still maturing, wallis' isn't. I just wonder if bones heal faster when they are fully formed, rather than trying to heal while growing, if that makes sense.

A 17 year olds leg bones don't heal any more rapidly than a early 20 year old. Healing bone breaks and fractures in the early days is completely dependent on the blood supply to the area. Complex fractures where the bone shatters are the worse ones to heal typically requiring bone grafts to build up new bone strength.

In Mitch's case, this is a pylon fracture and it is a bit of a long process. Plate and screws used for the tibia, fibia is reset into position
image.jpeg

The tibia (shin bone) and the fibula are the bones of the lower leg. Pilon fractures are injuries that occur at the lower end of the tibia and involve the weight bearing surface of the ankle joint. The fibula may also be broken. These injuries were first described more than 100 years ago and remain one of the most challenging problems for orthopaedic surgeons to treat. Common causes are falls and car accidents.

The goals are to restore alignment and stability and allow healing of the tibia and fibula at the ankle joint. Once the fractures are healing or healed, the surgeon’s goals are to restore movement and strength.Patients are restricted from fully weight bearing on their operated leg until there is full healing of the tibia and fibula bones. Patients are not allowed to bear weight on their leg in their post-surgical splint. Patients are not allowed to bear any weight on their operated leg until there is evidence of bone healing. This period of non-weight bearing is with the leg in either a cast or boot. It usually takes six to 12 weeks to see initial bone healing on X-rays.

So long as the patient’s tibia and fibula are healing with each subsequent visit, weight bearing activity can be gradually increased in the protective boot. Patients ultimately can remove the boot and gradually resume activities in normal shoes.
The time to achieve full bone healing of the pilon fracture typically occurs three to six months after surgery, but it often takes patients 12 months or more to fully recover from the injury.

Last edited:
An extremely disappointing result. The Saints just out worked us around the ball. Their intensity and pressure forced us into poor decision making and inefficient disposal. Credit to the opposition. Well deserved victory.

As soon as Wally and Redpath went down, it was going to feel like a loss irrespective of the result. Football can really kick you in the guts sometimes.

A 17 year olds leg bones don't heal any more rapidly than a early 20 year old. Healing bone breaks and fractures in the early days is completely dependent on the blood supply to the area. Complex fractures where the bone shatters are the worse ones to heal typically requiring bone grafts to build up new bone strength.

In Mitch's case, this is a pylon fracture and it is a bit of a long process. Plate and screws used for the tibia, fibia is reset into position
View attachment 269102

The tibia (shin bone) and the fibula are the bones of the lower leg. Pilon fractures are injuries that occur at the lower end of the tibia and involve the weight bearing surface of the ankle joint. The fibula may also be broken. These injuries were first described more than 100 years ago and remain one of the most challenging problems for orthopaedic surgeons to treat. Common causes are falls and car accidents.

The goals are to restore alignment and stability and allow healing of the tibia and fibula at the ankle joint. Once the fractures are healing or healed, the surgeon’s goals are to restore movement and strength.Patients are restricted from fully weight bearing on their operated leg until there is full healing of the tibia and fibula bones. Patients are not allowed to bear weight on their leg in their post-surgical splint. Patients are not allowed to bear any weight on their operated leg until there is evidence of bone healing. This period of non-weight bearing is with the leg in either a cast or boot. It usually takes six to 12 weeks to see initial bone healing on X-rays.

So long as the patient’s tibia and fibula are healing with each subsequent visit, weight bearing activity can be gradually increased in the protective boot. Patients ultimately can remove the boot and gradually resume activities in normal shoes.
The time to achieve full bone healing of the pilon fracture typically occurs three to six months after surgery, but it often takes patients 12 months or more to fully recover from the injury.
Cheers Dr. Mike

Positive thinking needed here.Chance to blood Cordy ,Collins.Chance for Minson Hamling.One needs to be experimented FWD.Dale,Hrovat. Or Webb gets a chance.If it doesn't work at least experience for next year.
Negative thinking.lot of people bagging Boyd and Jong even Dickson but never Suckling.He is not Rohan Smith or Lindsay Gilbee.rarely kicks goals.Never takes contested marks rarely puts body contact on ,beaten most one on one's. Wouldn't even mention it.If he wasn't the biggest show pony l have ever seen wear the red,white and blue.Stop exaggerating your kicking action and just play percentages. If Kicking is his only skill.Then do it better or learn how to mark Otherwise no worth to the team.Again watch Gilbee tapes and learn.STOP BEING A SHOW OFF.
Gee mate, great comments. You have no idea do you. Why dont you follow another club and bag their players. Sick of so called supporters having a
Seems like the Doc was misinformed anyhow.
The Doc not misinformed at all. He knows what he is talking about. Had a guy at our club, 2010, same injury in finals. Was playing practise games at the start of next season. And was playing well. Every player recovers different but Wally will get over this and be as good as ever. He has heaps of people around hinm to help, i even think his Dad, Steve broke his leg early in his career and came back to be a champion. chAMPION

Cheers Dr. Mike

Unfortunately I know a lot about leg fractures and severe knee trauma.. I feel for Mitch and what he will go through

Gee mate, great comments. You have no idea do you. Why dont you follow another club and bag their players. Sick of so called supporters having a

The Doc not misinformed at all. He knows what he is talking about. Had a guy at our club, 2010, same injury in finals. Was playing practise games at the start of next season. And was playing well. Every player recovers different but Wally will get over this and be as good as ever. He has heaps of people around hinm to help, i even think his Dad, Steve broke his leg early in his career and came back to be a champion. chAMPION
I never bag players thats the point.Jong ,Boyd ,Dickson all trying hard.Suckling needs a kick to give more effort.And to stop showing off and play percentages.

Unfortunately I know a lot about leg fractures and severe knee trauma.. I feel for Mitch and what he will go through
Totally, but footage of Bevo at presser and the lads getting to him in room post game shows he will have no shortage of support. Probably no better place to be in this situation.

Plenty of older guys will be there, with Bob in the rehab group as well as Moz and Jake who've done the same thing. It'll be tough, but he'll get through it.

See what your saying but the difference I see between stringer and Wallis is the year out for stringer was pre-afl which hurt his fitness and restricted his ability to build his afl tank early on.
Wallis is an absolute professional and has an afl tank. Think he can get back to condition and impacting games quicker than what stringer was able to

Really hope so, you'd never doubt his attitude.

I just wonder, a 17yr olds bones are still maturing, wallis' isn't. I just wonder if bones heal faster when they are fully formed, rather than trying to heal while growing, if that makes sense.

True, but how would I know long time since I was 17 :) In an AFL club environment it could make the difference.

Yeah, spot on.

When something like that happens, it'll be putting his foot on the ground, going for a little walk, then a longer walk, then strengthening exercises and physio and that's before he even starts running. Long road ahead, but he'll get there.

Yes, I remember Jake saying how long a process it was and every little milestone you hit and they are quite small "steps".

Mitch's surgeon completely contradicted Larkins' assessment. Delusion won't make Wally come back any quicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch's surgeon completely contradicted Larkins' assessment. Delusion won't make Wally come back any quicker.
Delusion is a bit strong. Probably the surgeon is being a bit conservative as he wants to be safe with his patients and doesnt want his good work screwed up whereas in practice the player and club may want them back playing asap and cut corners

Agreed. But he's young. Strangely enough what has happened to murph is now going to be a real inspiration for these guys.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Everything s**t that could have possibly happened this week indeed happened.

When we finally win a flag it'll be like eating a spoonful of sugar after drinking a litre of lemon juice.

Just store all of this heartache up because when it happens it will be sweetest grand final victory ever.

Last edited:
Less than 20 months ago we had no captain, coach, CEO, our incumbent B&F had done an ACL and we were deemed irrelevant and written off by the world's media.

The season isn't over, we win next week and we hone in on a top 4 spot, double chance and anything can happen.

Season like this can build character. Win the flag this year and it will be forever latched as part of footy folklore.

Feeling sorry for ourselves won't achieve anything, won't do anything. We need to go out next week and beat Geelong, which we can, and give ourselves the best opportunity to win this year's flag. I still believe we can.

agree entirely. Really sad about the injuries, but we need to pull rank. Well said.

I think with this kind of break a lot depends on the cleanliness of the break and how much soft tissue damage, particularly to nerves and so on.

I think with Nathan Brown, he did a fair bit of nerve damage and it caused him a lot of trouble down the track.

Just looking at stringers horrible picture of his break again, it seems lower down the leg than Mitch? I imagine if its higher, the bone is thicker there and may knit better ...Im just talking shyte really. Anyone actually know?

You may be right mate, I'm no medical expert. All I can remember is both Stringer and Morris having issues with 'hot spots' in their recovery from injury, preventing them from using the leg at full pace and contact - even though medically everything was well and truly healed. Morris from memory, lasted only a quarter in his comeback game before missing a considerable amount of time.

And given our medical department seems to be a bit optimistic with our players return from injury - I'm not counting on Mitch being available next year..... But will be happy to be proven wrong.

Delusion is a bit strong. Probably the surgeon is being a bit conservative as he wants to be safe with his patients and doesnt want his good work screwed up whereas in practice the player and club may want them back playing asap and cut corners
Either way it is delusional to think he'll be back by round 1.

just as an aside. During my illustrious career I had a ******* jump into my knee studs up and ruptured a bursa above the knee. I dragged myself off, nobody asked how I was going. Came back to training a few weeks later and a team mate said 'You're the guy who broke his leg?' Coach asked when I would be playing again, I said the doc said in a couple of weeks and he ranted 'I don't give a stuff what the doctor says!!!!' First class player welfare back then.

Agreed. But he's young. Strangely enough what has happened to murph is now going to be a real inspiration for these guys.

Young,
Physically strong and fit
Healthy
Body in great condition

Mitch WILL recover and get back to his best.. With what Im going through, I'd give my left nut to be in his position

You can say that again Best results for us were

Friday night Pies to best North

Saturday

Blues to beat Swans
Demons to beat WCE
Us to beat Saints
Cats V Crows probably did not matter either way

Sunday Port to beat GWS
Tigers to beat Hawks

That's 0 out 5

On top of that Mitch and Jack's shocking injuries plus Dales hammy.

Plus I have 3 legs and second in the quad beaten by 100/1 shot and I thought I had 20% $16,000 first 4 in Adelaide only to find that I only had the 3rd horse for 4th.

I pity the first person tomorrow at work that asks me how was my weekend.

It is nearly enough to change from optimistic dog to pessimistic dog. When will the footy gods smile on us. Oh well the sun will rise tomorrow we live to fight another day.

Have you actually shared what you're actually going through?

Yes... However not to the latest detail. Some know of the issues Ive been through but with the latest setback I'm not ready to share that to the BF community as yet, its very personal.

Anyway, back to the topic.. Go Mitch.. 100% behind this kid getting back to full health and his passion for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back