Bad News for Aussie Jones and Footy in Bendigo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
This is the first year of Bendigo Gold in the VFL, since they went stand alone and split from their alignment with Essendon.

They hired Aussie Jones as coach to help build footy in Bendigo, but sadly it could all be over in just one year - 14 games and yet to win a game this year, low crowds and no home clubrooms = bad financial situation

Front Page of the Bendigo Advertiser...
BQX6GFxCIAE2YL4.jpg

Article...
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...-decide-future-of-vfl-football-in-city/?cs=80

The campaign to support the VFL club and save it from folding...
www.supportbendigogold.com.au

This is the first year of Bendigo Gold in the VFL, since they went stand alone and split from their alignment with Essendon.

They hired Aussie Jones as coach to help build footy in Bendigo, but sadly it could all be over in just one year - 14 games and yet to win a game this year, low crowds and no home clubrooms = bad financial situation

Front Page of the Bendigo Advertiser...
BQX6GFxCIAE2YL4.jpg

Article...
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...-decide-future-of-vfl-football-in-city/?cs=80

The campaign to support the VFL club and save it from folding...
www.supportbendigogold.com.au

Didn't the cop a spectacular flogging the other week? I remember reading something.

Anyway, a bloody shame. Bendigo's a nice place and I think they deserve footy as much as anyone.

It's very disappointing to see this happen in such a big regional area with such a football history. It does appear the parochial nature of footy in Bendigo may see the Gold die out, which is a shame, as the more stand alone non-AFL reserves in the VFL the better.
If they fold, it will be on AFL GF eve, which means that, with no time at all to replace them, the comp will have uneven numbers again, unless Sandy and St Kilda end their alignment, though that looks unlikely now that TBBO is being upgraded, the ground was a major sticking point between the clubs.

AFL wont let any other club develop in the Bendigo region because it is where Essendon takes a dump, perhaps it is time for them to cut totally free from Essendon and the region.

AFL wont let any other club develop in the Bendigo region because it is where Essendon takes a dump, perhaps it is time for them to cut totally free from Essendon and the region.

They are totally cut free from Essendon. The Bendigo Bombers alignment ended at the end of 2013. Essendon fields it's own side in the VFL, while Bendigo Gold are a stand-alone club (except with no VFL reserves).

Most of their players are younger blokes (no big names), who missed out at the draft, trying a 2nd crack at getting on the AFL radar. From the games I've seen the kids have good raw skills, pass the ball cleanly, but can't run out games yet and lack that important physicality.

Their in the situation Frankston was 2-3 years ago, except they don't have pokies or their own clubrooms - thus makes it extremely hard to raise money to put a side on the park.

Or maybe the AFL could stump up 2.5% of its yearly profits to both run its own reserves comp and bankroll a truly independent state league pathway.
Andy would rather see teams die than eat into his yearly bonus, which could probably finance 10 Bendigo Golds!

It's up to the local community.

Do they want a team in the highest level outside AFL which will play against AFL players and give a pathway for local kids to get a second shot at the AFL? That's the question for the people of Bendigo.

I believe North Ballarat have links to the Uni as a way of drawing players, does Bendigo Gold do the same thing?

I agree there is no point them dragging on as a year by year proposition. They need a facility to operate out of so they can run properly otherwise it's no point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are totally cut free from Essendon. The Bendigo Bombers alignment ended at the end of 2013. Essendon fields it's own side in the VFL, while Bendigo Gold are a stand-alone club (except with no VFL reserves).

Most of their players are younger blokes (no big names), who missed out at the draft, trying a 2nd crack at getting on the AFL radar. From the games I've seen the kids have good raw skills, pass the ball cleanly, but can't run out games yet and lack that important physicality.

Their in the situation Frankston was 2-3 years ago, except they don't have pokies or their own clubrooms - thus makes it extremely hard to raise money to put a side on the park.
Alik magin is probably their only big name player. He was at Gold Coast last year

They are totally cut free from Essendon.
Gold might be, but I think the Bombers still see the Bendigo corridor as their territory and have marketing campaign based on that area (eg clinics for all junior clubs). It would be seen as a hostile move for another AFL club to move in.

Really the question isn't so much about Bendigo Gold, but what sort of competition does the VFL want to be.

Or maybe the AFL could stump up 2.5% of its yearly profits to both run its own reserves comp and bankroll a truly independent state league pathway.
Andy would rather see teams die than eat into his yearly bonus, which could probably finance 10 Bendigo Golds!

Sad thing is that some people actually believe this tripe ... you are not one of those are you Ric?

They may be in luck! Essendon may need a new reserves team this time next week...

They may be in luck! Essendon may need a new reserves team this time next week...

Why? We have our own VFL team?

Most people in Bendigo would prefer to support their local league. None of the good players choose to play for Bendigo in the VFL. The previous Bendigo Diggers team went broke for the same reasons. Lost cause I suspect.
that sums it up pretty much....usually bigger crowds at BFL matches than at Gold home matches. I generally go down and watch the gold play when they at home, bugger all people there...its sad, but as others said it already happened to the diggers so not surprised its happening again

However true that maybe, you won't get any points for it ;)

Who cares? I'm going along just to BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO every West Coast player that goes near the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back