AFLW Bad news

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree with the bolded. The game is too physical? I've seen big hits in netball too even though that is a non-contact sport. What about rugby? Wrestling? Judo? MMA? Should women stop participating in those sports too?
Don't bother.
He is the spokesMAN for the ladies.
A true white knight.

Don't agree with the bolded. The game is too physical? I've seen big hits in netball too even though that is a non-contact sport. What about rugby? Wrestling? Judo? MMA? Should women stop participating in those sports too?

maybe too physical was the wrong way to describe it,it's not so much just the hits, its getting hit from all different angles and while you are in the air and then landing

women dont do contact sports in high numbers, judo and mma dont involve running and jumping (not in competition)

dont know how widespread female rugby is (the full game not touch rugby) and i've never seen it on tv

this is from a 5 year study on rugby (a US study)

"The incidence rate for ACL injury among women was 5.3 times (IRR = 5.32, 95% CI: 1.33, 30.53) higher compared with that among men."

and from that article cats 09 posted

“Females have a wider pelvis and therefore are more bow-legged, there is more of an inclination for their knees to fall in when they twist, so that makes them more susceptible to tearing an anterior cruciate,” Dr Brukner said.

Great article in The Age today by Isabel Huntington, the #1 draft pick for the Bulldogs - the whole article is well worth the read but here are a few snippets:

As a result of women’s football being underdeveloped for so many years, there had been minimal research into the subject before AFLW came along. Currently, the AFL are working to learn more about the issues, with the introduction of the pilot program with La Trobe University a terrific initiative. All AFLW clubs are now required to dedicate time to do preparation movement exercises to help with landing and deceleration. The results won’t be seen overnight, but the hope is this will reduce the number of ACL tears in the league and create a greater awareness amongst players and clubs of the risks. This is a great step forward, and clubs are doing positive work, however the issue remains in the lack of hours at the club AFLW players are afforded in comparison to our male counterparts, meaning it is harder to ensure adequate strength and conditioning practices are adopted. Given AFLW players are only contracted for 13 hours per week, fitting in supervised ACL prevention work is difficult, and often inhibited by the fact that most players either study or work full time, making available time sparse...

...For those parents who may worry about letting their girls play football because of the heightened risk, my message is to not let fear stop you. The recent spate of ACLs can be disheartening, but if anything it provides an indication of the drastically increased participation of women and girls in football, which has immeasurable positive effects for society. The health and social benefits of girls playing footy far outweigh the negatives associated with injury, and the research and preventative measures will only improve too. I’d go through the rehab again and again if it meant the chance to experience this dream I’m living.

She also discusses her own battles with 2 ACL injuries (one each knee) - one when she was in school & the other her second game, and that after a frustrating setback before the start of the season the positive is that scans showed just a minor strain & she is on track to play in Round 5.

Full article available here:https://outline.com/5hSeSV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back