Review Bad, Ugly, and Horrendous vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a fair assessment, from assistant coaches to Board members to players.

Now the last people you want to be moving on ( for moving sake ) is the players. But by refreshing the Board and the assistant (and head) coaches you dont have alliances

Sam Jacobs openly talks about his strong friendship with Rob Chapman !!

I know for a fact that Rob occasionally borrows Sams shorts to do laps.

Of all the players to hang s**t on
Nah he's right, Knight isn't, or shouldn't be best 22. He's a good runner, provides some pressure but not much, and doesn't do enough when he gets the ball.

He's another who has had his career ruined by injury.

We’ve struggled for atleast 5 years entering inside 50 when the opposition set up the way they did today. It’s a combination of pathetic kicking, trying to do the perfect kick instead of just placing it to advantage. Secondly due to the big forwards refusing to provide a strong aerial contest. They don’t play in front. Everyone wants to crumb a goal instead of doing what a key forward is meant to do. Jarman impey took way too many unchallenged marks in defensive 50 today. All we needed was a simple kick to advantage and just compete

Every club is rusty and fumbly in round 1 so hawthorns direct play suited a round 1 match, while we were trying to play perfect football and were just way to rusty to execute it

We needed to boss them on our home deck. Instead we were timid.

That for me is the AFC in a nutshell. We look a million bucks when things are on our terms. Always has been that way.

But only rarely do we stamp boss on a determined opposition. We tend more to panic or go into our shells.

We don't have that swagger or genuine self confidence. That's a difficult thing to change. Is that the personalities we recruit? Is that something in the culture?

Why is it that when Malcolm Blight came in and made an example of sacking a ream of senior players who were even local celebrities that that was the only time we've reached our potential?
That’s it. Swagger. Arrogance. This is what’s missing. Bunch of choir boys. Even Tex looks like a dik when he’s trying to be tough

Had a while to think it over and here’s my thoughts

Good:
- Keath, looked like an AFL player today confident he can play the Doedee role and Hartigan comes in at CHB

- Jones, 1st game kid busted his arse and got on the scoreboard. Great signs from the kid

- B.Crouch welcome back!!

- Sloane busted his arse all day

Bad:
- Our kick in from behinds... continually trying to draw the player for a handball

- Bruise free risk free from Laird and Smith, more worried about their own disposal % efficiency than breaking the game open

- Flatness of team overall, was like we were in slow motion at times

Ugly:
- Doedees ACL

- Walker, tonight he moved like Ben Rutten towards the end of his career

- Murphy, was he even out there??

- Jacobs, cooked. That is all

- Forward 50 entries, we either didn’t lower our eyes and blaze away, or the forwards leading was woeful

Lastly and this is my main one
- Continual scapegoating of Jenkins, now I’m no massive JJ fan, far from it! But he’s repeatedly made the scapegoat, tonight his delivery was dogshit not his fault!
People seem to forget the guys kicked 40+ goals the last 5 seasons, coming from a guy late to the game of Australian Rules.
He works his butt off up and down the ground, think he needs to be cut some slack. Plenty worse than him

-

Knight is hard. That's something we sadly lack. We win more when he plays. Maybe it's just the example he sets. One of those football unquantifiables

and yet he offers so little in terms of any significant impact on the game. yes he plays okay when we had a huge run on 3 years ago but he makes no impact now.

IMO its just to easy to blame that performance on the coaches. At the end of the day it is up to the players to put there head of the ball have a crack and make smart decisions under pressure. The coaches cannot hold there hands the whole time.
We have a lot of very dumb footballers in our team,
good on our terms but can't think thru anything under pressure.
For me i will wait to see what happens at selection before going to hard on he coaches.

You do realise who continues to select these dumb footballers.

It is 100% on the coaches, why continue to select the same senior players who have consistently failed in big games.

It's quite bizzare, they are not going to suddenly improve at 27/28 years of age, and yet here we are again.

We keep dreaming that we are going to be a great club, a Geelong/Hawthorn/West Coast but let's be honest it's never going to happen. Time to find another dream?

I think if the Crows have another 2018 or worse it will permanently break the spirit of alot of Crows supporters. Alot of us realize this year is our last chance before we start another rebuild both in players and coaches (if we have a crap year).
I disagree, we are as strong as West Coast on and off the field but they took their chances when they had to win the premiership, i.e. won a Grand Final by 1 point (with rumors of being "juice" up during that period) and another Grand Final without having to play the best Vic team in Richmond last year.

If that was
2018 was rubbish, both our trade and draft periods were rubbish and round 1 was awful. Notice a pattern.
Our drafting last year was good and Stengle is a good get..... not Ogilvie or Reid's fault we don't want to play them.

You do realise who continues to select these dumb footballers.

It is 100% on the coaches, why continue to select the same senior players who have consistently failed in big games.

It's quite bizzare, they are not going to suddenly improve at 27/28 years of age, and yet here we are again.
When you have extremely skilled footballers like Atkins and Milera missing from 20-30 metres that isn't coaching.

Sloane and Keath whilst being our 2 best IMO, were also guilty. That isn't coaching, that's just poor skill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve struggled for atleast 5 years entering inside 50 when the opposition set up the way they did today. It’s a combination of pathetic kicking, trying to do the perfect kick instead of just placing it to advantage. Secondly due to the big forwards refusing to provide a strong aerial contest. They don’t play in front. Everyone wants to crumb a goal instead of doing what a key forward is meant to do. Jarman impey took way too many unchallenged marks in defensive 50 today. All we needed was a simple kick to advantage and just compete

Every club is rusty and fumbly in round 1 so hawthorns direct play suited a round 1 match, while we were trying to play perfect football and were just way to rusty to execute it
Correct, the forwards don't play in front as our game style isn't built around it, it's based around players running towards goal with precision and fast football movement and if the forwards get a few metre head start, it's a certain goal. But if we dump kick down the line due to frontal pressure, the opposition defenders get easy intercept marks and we get exposed.

Bad:

Milera. Less hype, more substance please. Dodges players well, but does it in a circle and so doesn’t end up anywhere much better than when he took possession. Also seems to have gone bruise free football style, which we clearly condone based on other selections - Contagious through the rest of the team.

Keath was weak, all day, ineffective. I'm tempted to add "If you don't think so go watch another code, you know nothing about this one.", but we can agree to disagree. :think:
Keath is a slow decision-maker, often out-positioned, gives opposition too much time to set up/reset.

But I did agree strongly with this:

:thumbsu:
TURNOVERS were woeful, very costly.
I thought Keath was our best player. At least shows promise. Talia is our slowest decision maker.

Not sure why he was playing as a small forward, he is an old fashion hard-nut tagger.
This is a fallacy. The night he went with Selwood, Selwood still won the battle comfortably.

I liked him getting stuck into the **** as much as anyone, but Duckwood was still very effective.

I thought Keath was our best player. At least shows promise. Talia is our slowest decision maker.
Decisions aren't slow, but the movement of ball to foot is, if that makes sense

He knows full well what he wants to do, but has that laconic style.

Correct, the forwards don't play in front as our game style isn't built around it, it's based around players running towards goal with precision and fast football movement and if the forwards get a few metre head start, it's a certain goal. But if we dump kick down the line due to frontal pressure, the opposition defenders get easy intercept marks and we get exposed.
It’s a game plan that relys on everything going right. And if it doesn’t then we look absolutely terrible.

Given the new 6-6-6 structure we desperately need a tall forward who plays as a genuine tall forward and can take a contested mark in the air and crash pack. Neither Walker or Jenkins do this but given we hold onto Mackay and Douglas for dear life, there's no chance a tall forward will make way for Himmleberg or Fog.
Need a McAdam or Davis. McAdam injured with a hammy. Davis kicked 3 other night. Would run with him and Greenwood who is a very good pack contested mark. Would also bring in Gallucci for Murphy who is average at best. You right Jenkins and Walker are useless at taking a pack mark. They are lead up forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back