Review Bad & Ugly vs Bulldogs

Who played well against Western Bulldogs?

• Chayce Jones

• Sam Berry (sub)

• Ben Keays

• Lachlan Murphy

• Josh Rachele

• Rory Sloane

• Luke Pedlar

• Jordan Dawson

• Jake Soligo

• Max Michalanney

• Mitch Hinge

• Izak Rankine

• Nick Murray

• Rory Laird

• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Elliott Himmelberg

• Patrick Parnell

• Lachlan Sholl

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

• Lachlan Gollant

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Before the season started the “Bookies” only had three teams less likely to win the flag (Eagles, Hawks and Kangas). Almost all the AFL “experts” had us in the bottom Six. Even most of the Adelaide Bigfooty “experts” had us in the bottom Six.

I thought we would finish around 10th and I have seen no compelling reasons to change my view. Yesterday was a poor effort, something that happens from young teams playing away matches. If we win one of the next two games (a big IF) we are a good chance to make the Eight.

The key thing is increasing the AFL experience of MM, Murray, Hinge, Soligo, Rachele, Thilthorpe, Jones and Pedlar. Another big test this week!
Very sensible and balanced post :thumbsu:.
Actually made me feel less despondent about yesterday's loss.
I lose perspective when we play that badly.

I think our game style is more suited to bigger grounds like the MCG than smaller grounds like yesterday which lead to more congestion.
Bigger grounds and dry conditions. We have some players that can use the ball but aren't the most contested players going around. Wet weather exposes that.

Ugly

Bergs efforts. He was hopeless and a non entity. Throw his name plate in the Mud. Never to be seen again in A team
Yep ...I've been a supporter of Himmelberg ...however, he has shown zero development, the last 2 years

I thought, given his late season SANFL form, it may have clicked ....but no, time to trade him

Murray Jones laird and Pedlar all tried hard but there was little skill and thought played by us in todays game
At 3/4 time we had half the side on single digit possessions ....inc many in our midfield ...that's woeful

Apart from Laird, and cameo's by Dawson ....the only other mid that bust his gut for the entire game was Pedlar

Butts needs a mention .....I know why he's getting games (no-one else), but he is a liability ....slow thinking, slow reaction times, and not a great reader of the play ....Butts still looks like a player full of self doubts

ROB just showed why he's a 2nd rate Ruck, we will not be able to depend on in Finals

Yep ...I've been a supporter of Himmelberg ...however, he has shown zero development, the last 2 years

I thought, given his late season SANFL form, it may have clicked ....but no, time to trade him
Even his SANFL games have been complete garbage this year. Has struggled to get a kick in games where we're winning by ten goals.

List clogger.

How Nicks could bring Berg in after last week's efforts in the sanfl is somewhat damning. Berg was was a major contributing factor in our loss to Sturt after Strachan went off with conc. Either Nick's didn't watch the SANFL game or he needs to look at his structures because Berg is seriously s**t. I know we don't have great depth in forward talls but why not utilise Worrell and Keane and move Muzz up forward. Fair enough if Woz isn't fit yet but Keane should be by now.

Darcy Moore had a League-record-high 11 intercept marks :oops: vs Carlton today.

How many did our blokes take vs the Bulldogs yesterday in total?
Which of our defenders is likely to do that or come close to it (Michalanney, in 3+ years time?)

Darcy Moore had a League-record-high 11 intercept marks :oops: vs Carlton today.

How many did our blokes take vs the Bulldogs yesterday in total?
Which of our defenders is likely to do that or come close to it (Michalanney, in 3+ years time?)
Moore is best in the business. We missed Doedee and I thought Murray wasn't quite at his best yesterday. Also losing Hinge compounded the issue. Bit of a perfect storm along with the amount of ball their mids won. Maxy was the other factor that he usually mops up intercepts when we have Muz, Doedee, Hinge there. He was poor yesterday for the first time this year.

Moore is best in the business. We missed Doedee and I thought Murray wasn't quite at his best yesterday. Also losing Hinge compounded the issue. Bit of a perfect storm along with the amount of ball their mids,won.
Playing Murray on JUH was perplexing; enabled Naughton to do as he pleased.
Moore is freakishly good.

Fair enough if Woz isn't fit yet but Keane should be by now.
If Keane wasn't fit enough a week ago, he won't be any fitter in a week's time. Day off, yesterday, for all the SANFL boys.
On that note, many of the SANFL players who are contending (eg Worrell, Cook, Nankervis) would have looked at the AFL blokes keeping them out of the side yesterday and wondered why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Quiet Nicks has to have a Talk about his Future (E.H.)
Then to be sent to C.H.Back in the 2nds and told you have the rest of the Season to learn the Craft.

I think this is right. He is too inconsistent in the other roles he has played. He occasionally is quite a good forward, but only rarely, and his bad is definitely not AFL standard, and is seen too often.
Plenty of marginal forwards have made good back men.
I agree. Nicks has to have a chat with EH and spell out this is his only Avenue for selection.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can we recruit his brother and then delist him?

5 disposals is putrid for a key forward heading towards or in his prime.

He might do a Shaun Mckernan and remain an AFL footballer just because of his height.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think this is right. He is too inconsistent in the other roles he has played. He occasionally is quite a good forward, but only rarely, and his bad is definitely not AFL standard, and is seen too often.
Plenty of marginal forwards have made good back men.
I agree. Nicks has to have a chat with EH and spell out this is his only Avenue for selection.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You and scoota10 might well be right.
From memory, Rehn and Jacobs were both string beans, but unlike EH they had drive/focus/determination.
Rehn was a Premiership ruckman @ age 26. Jacobs played in a GF @ age 29.
O'Brien is 2cms taller and only 3Kgs heavier than EH (Wikipedia), but he makes EH look like a skinny, underfed boy.
Go figure.
I think EH is more likely a ruckman, or second ruck playing forward, but that's been tried.
It's not working.
However, your speculation was about turning him into a CHB.

He's still only 24; a lanky praying mantis of a boy-growing-up is my impression.
First game, Round 23 2018, so he's had 5 pre-seasons, 2 now under Burgess.
Still has concrete hands.
Still does not bring the ball to ground intelligently. Still looks lost on a footy field :drunk:.
Yet I remember that game vs PA where she showed some real footy skill --- 4 goals, was it? Where has that gone?
Burgess and Nicks would know more about EH than us, but for the Crows, his penny had better drop soon.

This year.

Zero trade value though and under contract for another year. We're stuck with him.

I still don't know how this guy didn't get a rookie contract.

Can we recruit his brother and then delist him?

5 disposals is putrid for a key forward heading towards or in his prime.

He might do a Shaun Mckernan and remain an AFL footballer just because of his height.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No one else in the AFL would pick up Himmelberg. Most teams already have a crappy depth/reserves level tall forward.

The only reason McKernan stayed in the system for so long is he could also ruck, which Himmelberg can't

Thats commitment when you go onto the roof
Phone Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Back