Review Bad/Ugly vs Fremantle, R5 2020

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
My concern is we just can't score, in almost every match since the long break we've only had 1 1/4 in which we've scored multiple goals and in the others it's either 1 goal or none.
They should have kicked 4 goals in the 1st quarter... but both Murphy & McHenry failed to convert from under 30m on very gettable angles. Those misses weren't caused by difficult distances/angles, they were missed purely because of incompetence.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane looking more and more like a Hannebery situation. 200+ games as a combative midfielder who lacked a little athleticism as it is, seems to have hit a brick wall at this point with a contract through to 2023 on big $$$. Big yikes.

Hoping it's more the cork from the Showdown or the ankle against Brisbane but he looks miles off it and needs a week off.

The age reaper will not be kind to Sloane. He can't afford to get slower... but he will.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
They should have kicked 4 goals in the 1st quarter... but both Murphy & McHenry failed to convert from under 30m on very gettable angles. Those misses weren't caused by difficult distances/angles, they were missed purely because of incompetence.
I may be old school on this one, but the mechanics of kicking, and particularly set shot kicking, are fundamental to the game. The fact clubs dont see any value in training it, despite losing games due to bad kicking, is borderline insanity.

The kicking action is the same as a golf swing, you want something consistent and repeatable under pressure. I remember a great quote from Lee Trevino (I think) when asked the difference between an amateur and professional golfer. His answer - 500 balls a day.

There is not one good reason why a professional Aussie Rules player shouldn't be able to kick a set shot goal from 30-40 metres out in the 45 degree arc 9 times out of 10.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

You are forgetting one alternative: signalling the tank. ;) They were so bad, that thought occurred to me.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Aside from pressure acts, I'm not sure what you think that proves?

Matt + Brad Crouch
Tackles in F50: 4
Clearances: 10
Centre Clearances: 3

Adam Cerra + Andrew Brayshaw
Tackles in F50: 2
Clearances: 4
Centre Clearances: 0

David Mundy was by far Fremantle's most damaging midfielder today. He had 7 clearances and 6 of those out of the centre.

Brad.PNG

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I may be old school on this one, but the mechanics of kicking, and particularly set shot kicking, are fundamental to the game. The fact clubs dont see any value in training it, despite losing games due to bad kicking, is borderline insanity.

The kicking action is the same as a golf swing, you want something consistent and repeatable under pressure. I remember a great quote from Lee Trevino (I think) when asked the difference between an amateur and professional golfer. His answer - 500 balls a day.

There is not one good reason why a professional Aussie Rules player shouldn't be able to kick a set shot goal from 30-40 metres out in the 45 degree arc 9 times out of 10.
Dunstall even mentioned this in the commentary '' why would you start heading away from the middle - no need to swing right - its a basic skill to learn the mechanics''

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
1) I agree; it's not just about numerous possessions. They get the ball well and often enough, it's what they do with their possesions ie how they CREATE. Or not.
I watched them both closely in the first three quarters (also focussed on Murphy, Jones, Hamill, Keays, Sloane). One problem not of their own making is the dearth of mobile outside players in good positions to receive from them. They're surrounded by far too many flat-footed teammates.
My impression is that they get the ball, then look around. Ordinarily, you'd think this is not a bad thing but it shows lack of other-player positional awareness. It'd help if they had some idea of where to go/what to do before they get the ball. One thing I loved about Greenwood was his ability to get the ball out to someone in a good position. Often, MnC are blocked and run away from our goal then --- and this is crucial --- they give the ball off to a player who's got company (hospital handball, or dinky kick to a contest) or worse, kick too long/short and straight to an oppo player. A 40m kick forward counts as metres gained, but so many of their disposals come back over their heads.
Their delivery does not create, or open up space, or force a teammate to run into a better or open position.
They also look for each other way too much. I know that'd be a natural response after years of playing together, but it'd be solved easily enough by not playing them together at clearances/bounces.
I'd like to see them run-and-carry and break away from congestion more, which is what the best AFL mids do (think: Dangerfield). The ways that Hamill takes off, evades, and runs with the ball put the Crouches to shame. When Hamill improves his kicking accuracy, he'll be a star.
2) Poholke, Jones, McHenry et al are all being held back, every time Nicks puts the 2 Crouches together at a clearance/stoppage.

We do not have an outside supporting game. Haven't for years. our 'clearances' are often slow indirect truncations.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good to see the strategy of pumping Brad's value up artificially is in play :thumbsu:
If Nicks honestly thought that Crouch was the third most damaging player on the ground then I fear for our future... unless it was Longmuir who gave him the votes. After all, Crouch did turn it over to Fremantle with every third touch he had. He was pretty creative for them.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keays was quite good yesterday despite what the nuffies on here are saying, runs hard and gives it everything he's got, would have been in our bests yesterday IMO.
He has found his role, lockdown mid. Good to finally have one and a rookie pick too.
Was another good list management/ recruiting decision

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

As a small forward in the modern game it seems like your job is to 1. place pressure on any backmen seeking to dispose of the ball and 2. make the most of the few chances that might come your way during the game. If you are unable to do either of these two things you shouldn’t hold your spot.

And yes. Staggering to think that any forward shouldn’t be practicing goal kicking at every opportunity. But it certainly seems they don’t. As Dunstall pointed out during the game, each of the early missed set shots saw the player not running directly towards the goal but instead in the line in which the ball ultimately went... ie. not through the goals. Surely this is an easy 5 minute fix for any player to work on at training this week?

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide

Agree totally re: goalkicking, especially when you factor in desire to help out the team + what they're getting paid to play the game they love.
(Loved Lee Trevino: here's another LT gem --- maybe apocryphal --- he was playing in a lightning storm, dangerous conditions, before play was abandoned. After creaming his drive, he walked off the tee and down the fairway holding a One-iron high in the air. His caddie was aghast and pointed out how dangerous it was. Trevino said,
" Don't panic. Not even God can hit a One-iron".)

Worth mentioning (think it gets forgotten) he was pick 24 in 2015 draft and would have been 18-20 range if not for the academy bidding. There is a player in there.

It's probably also worth mentioning the 2015 draft was frankly, shithouse, after the Doedee pick (and he was plucked from relative obscurity).

Actually there is, and its same deal why free throws in basketball are only at an average of 73%, despite being probably the easiest shot in the game.

Having the time to think is a terrible thing for technique when under pressure. McHenry second set shot is a great example of it, you can see throughout the entire routine he's thinking about his first miss and overcorrected for it.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Actually there is, and its same deal why free throws in basketball are only at an average of 73%, despite being probably the easiest shot in the game.

Having the time to think is a terrible thing for technique when under pressure. McHenry second set shot is a great example of it, you can see throughout the entire routine he's thinking about his first miss and overcorrected for it.
Hmmm maybe, but to be frank, kicking a ball from 30 metres through sticks 7 metres wide is far easier than shooting a basket. I reckon the closer example would be a field goal in the NFL and they rarely miss.

The issue is footballers techniques break down too easily under pressure. Training it would go a long way towards fixing it. Eddie is a good example, those freak goals he kicks he practices a lot, but he rarely practiced kicking 20 in a row from 30 out in front.

scoota10

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2010
By the W/Adelaide BBQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Goal kicking isn't hard It's Focusing.My old coach use to Drum into us was.Its like kicking to a person (end to end)
40 mts away take your time and Focus in kicking it to him and try and have it no more than 2mts either side.
Thus having a set shot for goal, plck a person or obsticle thru the Goals and kick it to Whatever
The best example in kicking for Goal is B.Brown (Nth Melbourne ). He Focuses and runs Strait.

Back