Roast Bad v Geelong, R18

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, disagree. Last time they were all over us, only didn't convert their chances. They should have won by a lot more. This time, we stayed with them in the first half. Where we lost the game was in that 3rd quarter. This is where experience (both from the Coach and the players) made the difference between the two teams. The final quarter we only lost by a point. Pyke made changes in that third quarter, only they didn't pay off. As for the poor skills on the day - can't blame him for that. That comes down to individuals. You only have to be 5% off - and unfortunately we ALL appeared to be 5% off. I have great faith we can beat this Geelong team if we play our best football.
What your not taking to account is the way it transpired. The way they played was similar if not identical to the way they played the first time.

It appeared we did nothing more than turn up thinking they couldn't strangle us twice. But of course they did, and the fact we didn't have any alternative rests squarely with Pyke.

He's done very well in his first season but the fact no lessons were learned from the first time is a fail on him.

I agree that we were out coached. We kept up on the scoreboard for the first half even though they were suffocating our forward movement and in the second half they strangled us even further. We had similar ball movement in the first game at AO. Nothing changed from that game and nothing changed during this game.

Imo they stifled guys like Laird and Smith (in terms of run and carry). We were unable to get any link up handball going from half back and were then forced to kick to contests. They set up very well. The wet didn't help as we weren't as clean as them to try and take risks through the middle.

Seems like an obvious plan to beat any team. They just executed it very well.

Flooding, or sitting lose defenders, back is becoming a repeated tactic to stop the crows forward movement (Melb, Collingwood and cats have all set up that way recently). And I expect it to be more prevalent in the rest of the season. Hopefully this gives us a chance to practice getting through this.

My major frustration from Sat night was our failure to make their lose defenders accountable.

If players are sitting back that really should put a big smile on Don Pyke's face as it means it should be easier to work through the zone (more like old style football) but the crows forwards seemed to keep pushing up too deep, so when we did move it forward we had nothing in front or were outnumbered.

Obviously we didn't back in our on-ballers who pushed up on to the ball to get the outnumber which dragged our forward up the ground and let Geelong structure up behind the ball. We needed to back in the midfield more and give them options to move the ball forward quickly.

Last edited:
Flooding, or sitting lose defenders, back is becoming a repeated tactic to stop the crows forward movement (Melb, Collingwood and cats have all set up that way recently). And I expect it to be more prevalent in the rest of the season. Hopefully this gives us a chance to practice getting through this.
Yep and we simply need to be able to possess the ball and be patient when teams do this. Very much like Hawthorn do...kings on uncontested possession.

On a side note how insulting is it for a weasel like Rucci to think he can see the problem with Crows game plan but Pykey can't. If you reading this Rucci you are a sad and pathetic man if you think you know more than Pykey and that he has only one strategy.

Yep and we simply need to be able to possess the ball and be patient when teams do this. Very much like Hawthorn do...kings on uncontested possession.

On a side note how insulting is it for a weasel like Rucci to think he can see the problem with Crows game plan but Pykey can't. If you reading this Rucci you are a sad and pathetic man if you think you know more than Pykey and that he has only one strategy.
Two things made it hard to get through the flood/goal-keepers on Sat night. The size of the ground and the weather.

The narrow ground stopped us from switching play and was brilliantly protected by the Geelong defence.

The weather reduced our willingness and ability to use the 20-25m 45 degree kick and reduced our ability to run the ball forwardand at the defenders who were sitting back. Hopefully on a wider ground in good September weather we will have some more tools to help deal with Geelong's defence.

Personally I think putting McGovern and JJ who have pace and either getting them to be leading options or, if we managed to get quick movement, have them run back to space would have helped. Geelong's defence are experienced but not fast.

I've recorded the game and was going to watch today. After reading all this I don't think I will. I hope the boys learn from whatever mistakes happened on the night. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. Need to lose to identify where you're deficient. I'd rather a loss in July to recalibrate than a loss in September to get knocked out.
Chin up people.
Delete it.
You never downloaded it.
You lost last week.
It cannot be explained.
Move on.
Beat Essendoom by 135.
Welcome.

The whole narrow ground thing falls down when you factor in them having done exactly the same to us at Adelaide Oval.

It's a weak excuse that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The fact is they worked us out last time and just repeated the dose. Even to the extent of selecting Bews to do a job in round 8, dropped in R 9, then only selected again Sat night.

P...ss poor coaching and I'm sick of the excuses. Of course Pyke has earned massive brownie points and has done a great job, but f...me - blaming the ground size?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People generally refer to places as "dumps" when their experiences are coloured by unpleasant experiences. For a sour Crow suppirter, the term is most probably apt! :cool:

I've been there and compared to AO it is a little dump

What was with all the blind handballs backwards over players heads ......haven't seen that at all this year .....team lost complete composure last night
To feenix67 & NikkiNoo ......ok i sense a bit of rucci-ism going on for the Crowcast .......i post this at 7.12pm last night ....suddenly it's on the Crowcast, just like Rucci's articles ......Mmmm?

The whole narrow ground thing falls down when you factor in them having done exactly the same to us at Adelaide Oval.

The fact is they worked us out last time and just repeated the dose. Even to the extent of selecting Bews to do a job in round 8, dropped in R 9, then only selected again Sat night.

P...ss poor coaching and I'm sick of the excuses. Of course Pyke has earned massive brownie points and has done a great job, but f...me - blaming the ground size?????
Yep sadly we learned nothing. And seemingly going by comments post game learnt nothing from this game either. Its actually pretty disappointing our coaches cant see that we have to setup differently than we have for 8 quarters against them.

I always laugh when people say "a loss we had to have". It's almost as though, if you'd strolled into town and rolled us it'd be some how a bad thing.

Also, unfortunately for any of the interstate teams, if we finish second and they finish third, you may well be playing us at Kardinia Park.

Not that I'll be getting ahead of myself - Swans rolled us at home a few weeks back and Freo came over for an unlikely finals victory in 2013.

And Carlton and Collingwood.....run along douchebag

I actually thought this was a very different game to round 9.

That time they belted us around the contest and then were able to pin us in our defense, for the first half at least. We found ourselves 2 goals down at half time (more accurately, 12 behinds...) and after that I thought we really got on top of the game and moved the footy quite well. We then dropped our collective head when Seed missed that shot and they ran away from us late.

This time around, very different game. We were able to win the footy in the middle but unable to move it effectively away from congestion. I think this was down to our balance being inside heavy, plus the conditions, plus Geelong's pressure, plus the ground. Very different causes of our problems, even though the two games looked a little alike.

I think we made progress on the contested side of things.

Well done to all of the Crows supporters who braved the Kardinia Park blizzard and sat there for two-and-half hours. Last night wasn't your night, but there were literally bus loads of you, all in voice.

I shared a drink with an older fella at the pub pre-game who came over for the weekend. His wife was a Cats' supporter; the exact opposite to me as my wife is a Crows' supporter.

There were quite a few Adelaide supporters in the pub pre-game, some post too. The banter was fun and light-hearted. I hope those of you who did make it over to the cattery had a good time, loss notwithstanding.

I have to say that I was nervous all week about this game and genuinely tipped the Crows to win. Whilst Adelaide struggled with the ground and tricky conditions, I still feel that they were better than when the teams last met in Round 8.

Also, it would have been nice if the weather was a bit nicer when I arrived back in Adelaide. My flight flew straight into a storm whilst on descent, and the air temp was bareky warmer than at the same time yesterday in Geelong.

Good luck for the rest of the season - until next time we meet... should we meet again, that is!

I was at the Cattery last year. Was the only Crows supporter in the entire stand. When Sloaney kicked a goal I cheered and the entire stand went dead silent and looked at me....THE ENTIRE STAND. The girl next to me was barracking for Danger even though he was playing for us, so she was actually barracking for us too. Not real bright down there.

Even they couldn't fail to mention some of the later throws, though. Noone commented on the backwards throw between the legs, however.

Not sure I've ever seen so many throws in a game. Watching Hawks v Cats is like watching a netball game.

I actually thought this was a very different game to round 9.

That time they belted us around the contest and then were able to pin us in our defense, for the first half at least. We found ourselves 2 goals down at half time (more accurately, 12 behinds...) and after that I thought we really got on top of the game and moved the footy quite well. We then dropped our collective head when Seed missed that shot and they ran away from us late.

This time around, very different game. We were able to win the footy in the middle but unable to move it effectively away from congestion. I think this was down to our balance being inside heavy, plus the conditions, plus Geelong's pressure, plus the ground. Very different causes of our problems, even though the two games looked a little alike.

I think we made progress on the contested side of things.

I would dispute that we ever moved the ball well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back