Roast Bad v Geelong, R18

Remove this Banner Ad

What was glaringly obvious was how much bigger and stronger Geelong's players are. They have almost no one smaller than 188/90, which translates to dominance in the air. They also bullied us at ground level with only Cheney and Matt Crouch being able to hold their ground in contests.

We match up very poorly on them with absolutely no match up for Menzel, Guthrie or Motlop, while Enright, Bews and Taylor blanket our forwards.

We are not capable of beating Geelong. Anywhere.

that's actually a ridiculous attitude. We got beaten by Norf twice in 98 before coming back from 24 points down at half-time. Other teams have belted them, we can too. Just up to Pyke and the coaches to adjust how we go about it.

Sando took us to within 5 points of a very strong Hawks team in 2012 by coming up with a bold plan to go 1 on 1 and isolate the Jawks backmen and use the centre corridor. Pyke is a lot better coach than Sando.

The whole narrow ground thing falls down when you factor in them having done exactly the same to us at Adelaide Oval.

It's a weak excuse that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The fact is they worked us out last time and just repeated the dose. Even to the extent of selecting Bews to do a job in round 8, dropped in R 9, then only selected again Sat night.

P...ss poor coaching and I'm sick of the excuses. Of course Pyke has earned massive brownie points and has done a great job, but f...me - blaming the ground size?????

I'm not sure about that. At AO they just smoked us everywhere except kicking between the 2 big ones. If I recall correctly, it was our ability to score easily when we actually got the ball, combined with their poor goal kicking that kept us in it on the scoreboard.

Amazing that when the game was gone Smithy went for a bomb straight down the guts from the kick in, and we went forward in a flash for a goal to Dougie. Need to do that earlier!

Yep. What I took from those goals was how quick movement (corridor at that) got us coming into our 50 before Geelong could wall back and get added defenders in place. No obvious Change to our ball movement though was frustrating. We are just so deficient with ball carriers/runners.

I was at the Cattery last year. Was the only Crows supporter in the entire stand. When Sloaney kicked a goal I cheered and the entire stand went dead silent and looked at me....THE ENTIRE STAND. The girl next to me was barracking for Danger even though he was playing for us, so she was actually barracking for us too. Not real bright down there.
Where did you sit? I don't know what it looked like on TV, I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but there were plenty of Crows' supporters there.

I was sitting in the Gary Ablett Terrace, not too far from the city end goals where Adelaide's cheer squad was stationed. There were plenty around, trust me.

As for the girl next to you... well, I guess her cheers were vindicated. Most cheered when he had the shot for goal. It was kind of weird though, I must admit.

Yep. What I took from those goals was how quick movement (corridor at that) got us coming into our 50 before Geelong could wall back and get added defenders in place. No obvious Change to our ball movement though was frustrating. We are just so deficient with ball carriers/runners.

Vader been on it for a little while. He's been uncomfortable with our inside/outside mix, which is why he had Lyons permanently on the edge of selection just awaiting the oversupply of insiders to be addressed and finding himself in the 2's. Reality is that we need the extra insider because we need to cover the lack of output and run of Thommo. It's a difficult situation we find ourselves in. Getting more run and minimising the loss to our inside output requires Thommo to be removed. I'm not sure this can be done, so we need to wait for another player to ultimately play worse than Thommo. Either way, we are facing a less than ideal scenario

To feenix67 & NikkiNoo ......ok i sense a bit of rucci-ism going on for the Crowcast .......i post this at 7.12pm last night ....suddenly it's on the Crowcast, just like Rucci's articles ......Mmmm?
So first you say I sound like rucci, then you accused me of being like rucci...

We can't be friends

Steven Motlop, Geelong Cats, has been charged with wrestling Matt Crouch, Adelaide Crows, during the fourth quarter of the Round 18 match between the Geelong Cats and the Adelaide Crows, played at Simond Stadium on Saturday July 23, 2016.

In summary, his $1500 sanction can be reduced to a $1000 sanction with an early guilty plea.

A first offence for wrestling was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Matt Crouch, Adelaide Crows, has been charged with wrestling Steven Motlop, Geelong Cats, during the fourth quarter of the Round 18 match between the Adelaide Crows and the Geelong Cats, played at Simond Stadium on Saturday July 23, 2016.

In summary, his $1500 sanction can be reduced to a $1000 sanction with an early guilty plea.

A first offence for wrestling was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Read more at http://www.zerohanger.com/round-18-mrp-results-2-6211/#oCpTiVzC4y0hRIzT.99

I actually thought this was a very different game to round 9.

That time they belted us around the contest and then were able to pin us in our defense, for the first half at least. We found ourselves 2 goals down at half time (more accurately, 12 behinds...) and after that I thought we really got on top of the game and moved the footy quite well. We then dropped our collective head when Seed missed that shot and they ran away from us late.

This time around, very different game. We were able to win the footy in the middle but unable to move it effectively away from congestion. I think this was down to our balance being inside heavy, plus the conditions, plus Geelong's pressure, plus the ground. Very different causes of our problems, even though the two games looked a little alike.

I think we made progress on the contested side of things.
The way their defence sat back and choked us was almost identical. The way we then fed their defence was, once again almost identical.

Without looking my guess would be Enright was in their top 2 or 3 both games.

You can't possibly think it's coincidence that the highest scoring team in the AFL just happens to kick its 2 lowest scores against the same side.

I'm not sure about that. At AO they just smoked us everywhere except kicking between the 2 big ones. If I recall correctly, it was our ability to score easily when we actually got the ball, combined with their poor goal kicking that kept us in it on the scoreboard.
I50 efficiency was 48% on Sat night as opposed to 39% in R8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the Cattery last year. Was the only Crows supporter in the entire stand. When Sloaney kicked a goal I cheered and the entire stand went dead silent and looked at me....THE ENTIRE STAND. The girl next to me was barracking for Danger even though he was playing for us, so she was actually barracking for us too. Not real bright down there.
Have you seen the movie Deliverence?

The whole narrow ground thing falls down when you factor in them having done exactly the same to us at Adelaide Oval.

It's a weak excuse that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The fact is they worked us out last time and just repeated the dose. Even to the extent of selecting Bews to do a job in round 8, dropped in R 9, then only selected again Sat night.

P...ss poor coaching and I'm sick of the excuses. Of course Pyke has earned massive brownie points and has done a great job, but f...me - blaming the ground size?????
Adelaide oval is also a narrow ground. The fact is kardinia is only 7 meters narrower than AO.

Their defensive zones works best on narrow grounds and it's hard to get through without run and carry.

The way their defence sat back and choked us was almost identical. The way we then fed their defence was, once again almost identical.

Without looking my guess would be Enright was in their top 2 or 3 both games.

You can't possibly think it's coincidence that the highest scoring team in the AFL just happens to kick its 2 lowest scores against the same side.
Of course it's not a coincidence. They are very good at restricting our ball movement.

All I'm saying is that we fell down in a different area of the game on Saturday night than we did in May. In May we got slaughtered around the footy and couldn't move it out of defence for half a game.

This time we got our fair share of the footy but couldn't move it away from the stoppage.

I think it was a step forward.

Obviously we need to take a few more steps forward if we are to challenge them in a final.

Of course it's not a coincidence. They are very good at restricting our ball movement.

All I'm saying is that we fell down in a different area of the game on Saturday night than we did in May. In May we got slaughtered around the footy and couldn't move it out of defence for half a game.

This time we got our fair share of the footy but couldn't move it away from the stoppage.

Obviously we need to take a few more steps forward if we are to challenge them in a final.
R18 clearances 39 42 in our favour

R8 42 40 in their favour.

Really not much difference around the stoppages in either game.

For mine the very basic similarity in the 2 games was that we go from being the leagues highest scorers to our worst 2 scores of the year.

Clearly their defensive set up was excellent in r8 and once again they throttled us in r18. Our next lowest score is 25 points more than r8. It's a huge difference. Put simply we can't score against them and it was very disappointing to see the dose repeated.

I tend to agree more with Peter J here.

In both matches we struggled to transition from defense. In both matches we kicked long to their spares in the center. In both matches we didn't run or short pass. In both matches they had a big advantage inside our 50 with multiple spares. In both matches we kicked continuously to their spares inside 50.

Around the contest it was also similar. Clearances were similar but they picked us off on the outside. In both matches they had spares where our hacked kicks from clearances fell. They also had a better setup on the slight outside of stoppages to prevent us from handballing out, while helping them break away. In both matches they shut down the corridor and forced wing play.

The two matches were hugely similar. The only difference is our defensive group was better in the recent match and stopped so many shots on goal. We also were better able to stop their thrusts on our defensive 50 line. Didn't amount to much though because we consistently kicked to their spares under no pressure

Bad: Geelong would be thrilled with the idea of getting us in a final, no matter where it's played
We've only got to beat them once... however since 1998 I have had no faith that we will step up on the biggest stage to do so against a more fancied opponent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back