Current Baden Clay - Is the case strong enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Those victim impact statements, while being read line by line by the media, are still pretty heavy.

The judge gives a life sentence. The prepared comments from the judge indicates he had already made up their mind and he specified particular parts of the evidence that made up his mind. I find that interesting.

There was one part of the victim impact statements that revealed something I must have missed. Allison and mistress would have met at a real estate conference the day after she went missing. The affair was supposed to have ended and he had been stringing along both. There is a motive.

You have amateur court watchers who show up to trials, attend every day, then get interviewed after the verdict. I was floored when somebody started shedding tears then they admitted they didn't know Allison. I find it all a little disrespectful.

I note the police have thanked the media for their involvement. More the appeals early, rather than the circus during the trial.

Those victim impact statements, while being read line by line by the media, are still pretty heavy.

The judge gives a life sentence. The prepared comments from the judge indicates he had already made up their mind and he specified particular parts of the evidence that made up his mind. I find that interesting.

Judges always have to give closing comments like that and have to adopt the view put forward by the jury in delivering their verdict.

Now 60 Minutes is airing a show ... 'Only 60 Minutes has the Full Story'. Mistresses spilling the beans. Someone saying he said 'I'm looking for somebody to kill my wife'.

Was that used in court?

Forget news reports. Sometimes they're biased and sometimes they're not but usually they don't report all the facts. The jury will make the correct decision.

Well you'd bloody hope so.
Guilty verdict delivered.

I think on the balance of probabilities, it is probably right.

On the testing of evidence, it would be interesting to see how that they reached the conclusion.

Baden-Clay when asked said he had nothing to say. That sounds resigned to his fate to me. I feel if I was innocent, I would continue to proclaim it.

Agree but guilt is determined beyond all reasonable doubt. If I had to call personally reckon he did it but the crown case had enough holes to drive a truck through. No way I'd have convicted based on what I've followed. (There may be more the public isn't privy to). Opinions can be wrong and you sure as sh*( don't want a 51% flip of the coin being made.

Reckon there will be an appeal. Some really weird directions to the jury as well as one downloading stuff etc. Slim chance but may get a retrial.

Either way you can only hope the correct decision was made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol his defence team mid way thru tried to downgrade it to unlawful killing. There won't be an appeal

Agree but guilt is determined beyond all reasonable doubt. If I had to call personally reckon he did it but the crown case had enough holes to drive a truck through. No way I'd have convicted based on what I've followed. (There may be more the public isn't privy to). Opinions can be wrong and you sure as sh*( don't want a 51% flip of the coin being made.

Yeah, like the majority of the evidence, the ability to assess the witnesses, and the directions of law.

I can never understand how people think they can determine a verdict based on media reports.

I've been in high-profile matters, and the media coverage often has little resemblance to what I saw in court. There is spin, cherry-picking and simple misreporting.

Juries aren't always right, but I'll take their view over that of people who read stuff in the media any day.

Between this trial, Daniel Morcombe and the unpopular LNP, I wouldn't be surprised there is a move to discuss the death penalty in the near future.

If anything wouldn't the possibility of receiving death penalty in such a debatable case actually work to his favour as the jury would be less inclined to find him guilty knowing that there is a possibility of him receiving the death penalty for it?

If anything wouldn't the possibility of receiving death penalty in such a debatable case actually work to his favour as the jury would be less inclined to find him guilty knowing that there is a possibility of him receiving the death penalty for it?
Well, it could have that effect on some jurors but there are other reasons to oppose the death penalty.

With the way the tail is wagging the dog these days, I can see a government in the near future permitting juries to recommend sentences. Indeed, I can recall a proposal along those lines a few years back.

Reckon there will be an appeal. Some really weird directions to the jury as well as one downloading stuff etc. Slim chance but may get a retrial.

Either way you can only hope the correct decision was made.

As I stated, the jury have all the available evidence whereas you do not.

I had no doubt he done from the first interview hope he cops it.For those that think case was not strong enough research the Murder of Marlene mcdonald by husband John Vincent mcdonald after 25 yrs and no body ever found he was found guilty of murder and is now in jail and rightly so the maggot(I knew the family and also eldest son who suicided very sad)

I had no doubt he done from the first interview hope he cops it.For those that think case was not strong enough research the Murder of Marlene mcdonald by husband John Vincent mcdonald after 25 yrs and no body ever found he was found guilty of murder and is now in jail and rightly so the maggot(I knew the family and also eldest son who suicided very sad)
Not passing comment on the case, but I don't see how researching a murder by someone else in a different case under different circumstances 25 years ago is supposed to give us meaningful information on the Baden-Clay case?

Yeah, like the majority of the evidence, the ability to assess the witnesses, and the directions of law.

I can never understand how people think they can determine a verdict based on media reports.

I've been in high-profile matters, and the media coverage often has little resemblance to what I saw in court. There is spin, cherry-picking and simple misreporting.

Juries aren't always right, but I'll take their view over that of people who read stuff in the media any day.

I never claimed to know more than those in court, nor can anyone in this thread as to my knowledge nobody has sat through the trial. Hence in this case like all others in this thread most opinions are based on media reports and personal research. I merely offered the opinion that once you ignore the hysteria and emotions regarding affairs there appeared to be little direct evidence linking Baden Clay to the crime and the crown summary relied on circumstantial evidence leading to murder, which had alternate explanations.

Too bloody right juries aren't always right. Not sure those falsely convicted in this country would be happy to honestly take this view. I actually think some reforms are needed and while there continues to be colossal fu&8 ups I will always be skeptical and lean on the side of caution.

As I stated, the jury have all the available evidence whereas you do not.

Nor does anyone in this thread. Hence this whole board is based on people offering opinions on a wide range of cases they don't know the entire facts on. Presumably their sources are also third and fourth hand.

I'm hardly calling for the verdict to be changed (especially knowing what wasn't at trial and now the media are having a field day with) but I was surprised he was convicted and think an appeal has a not insignificant hope of getting up.

Queensland has a mandatory life sentence for murder and with the 15 year minimum non parole penalty he actually received the lowest amount possible. No real point dragging it out then I suppose. So any appeal would be based on the conviction.

The scratches on his hands and chest combined with his face scratches changes things for me a bit. Her car where the blood was found only being 6 weeks old adds another layer of probabilities.

Guilty as sin, despite being circumstantial.

Did I read the prosecution called 60 something witnesses and the defence called 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back