Toast Bailey Dale, signs new contract until 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't believe everyone has missed the elephant in the room here. Credit has been dished out to Toby Mclean and Bonti, which is credited, but the story of the year for mine is the rise of Bailey Dale. The biggest positive for 2017.

The kid had a great 2nd half to the season. He is quick, has good skills, especially kicking and importantly, was one of our best kicks at goal this year.

Well done young fella on re-signing, looking forward to watch this guy's future!

Should be a good offensive winger. Doesnt have great contested skills, but I reckon he is good enough with the ball to make up for that. Still a fair bit of physical development required to elevate his game - will have to become a running machine.

We have plenty ( when in form) mids and link players. I've stated this in a few threads, that Bailey Dale is the perfect Crameri replacement. Mid size, telescopic arms, converts on the run and from set shots, reads the ball very well, and with Boyd and Stringer will be part of a deadly forward trio.

Bailey, Toby and Zaine all improved in their own ways, and equally so, I reckon.

4 automatic in players from one draft is pretty damn good.

Dale is a finisher, something we have sorely lacked this year. Was always going to be a slow developer as he seems to be a naturally skinny type, but can't wait to see what he brings to the table next year.

We have plenty ( when in form) mids and link players. I've stated this in a few threads, that Bailey Dale is the perfect Crameri replacement. Mid size, telescopic arms, converts on the run and from set shots, reads the ball very well, and with Boyd and Stringer will be part of a deadly forward trio.
I don't see the similarity Swoop except that both can score goals and could play high half forward.

Crameri is 190cm and 98kg. Dale is currently 183cm and 80kg.

What Crameri gave us was a huge physical presence and reasonable height combined with mobility in the forward half. Although not a genuine KPF you could play him at CHF at a pinch. He is a reasonable mark and has an enormous tank.

Dale is a stick figure compared to Crameri. Yes, he might fill out a bit but he's never going to be as physically imposing as Crameri and certainly nowhere near as tall. From what I've seen his tank isn't too bad and he can take a good overhead mark but we've yet to see whether he can gut run the length of the field to get on the end of an attacking chain as Crameri can do.

One last difference - Crameri averages almost twice as many goals per game over his career as Dale does. 1.68 to 0.87 (1.06 in 2017). Crameri did that from the very start of his AFL career (admittedly as a mature age rookie) and maintained it until he was rubbed out for having been at Windy Hill during the drugs scandal, while Dale is just building after 3 seasons. And if Dale starts kicking goals regularly opposition sides will start putting more work into him.

Very happy to have Dale but I see them as quite different types. With Dale's size he may need to develop more of an outside midfield role combined with his time in the forward half if we are to get full value from him. If he can average 1.5 goals a game though, I'd be happy for him to stay up forward all the time.

I agree with most of your points. Wasn't so much comparing the players, more so the role. We've seen SFA of Crameri for 2 years, so it's time to rejig You tend to agree with the points I make re Dales ability to perform the role. Keep in mind when comparing goal averages, that Dale has been used predominantly as a winger, whereas Cram was given licence to roam upfield. I have outlined my 2018 forward set up in another thread. I'd appreciate your opinion.

I agree with most of your points. Wasn't so much comparing the players, more so the role. We've seen SFA of Crameri for 2 years, so it's time to rejig You tend to agree with the points I make re Dales ability to perform the role. Keep in mind when comparing goal averages, that Dale has been used predominantly as a winger, whereas Cram was given licence to roam upfield. I have outlined my 2018 forward set up in another thread. I'd appreciate your opinion.
Not quite in agreement on role. Role isn't the same as position.

Crameri was a huge physical presence in the forward half so he could throw his weight around and hold his own in a one-on-one aerial contest and even when it comes to ground. Dale can drift across the pack for a mark and is clever with the loose ball but he can also get brushed aside more easily when it's body on body, so the role is going to be different.

Another difference in role is that Crameri could be part of the flood in defence yet still be the first to break and reach the vacant forward half when we got possession and rebounded. How often have we seen that happen this year with no-one to kick to? Can Dale play that role?

Not quite in agreement on role. Role isn't the same as position.

Crameri was a huge physical presence in the forward half so he could throw his weight around and hold his own in a one-on-one aerial contest and even when it comes to ground. Dale can drift across the pack for a mark and is clever with the loose ball but he can also get brushed aside more easily when it's body on body, so the role is going to be different.

Another difference in role is that Crameri could be part of the flood in defence yet still be the first to break and reach the vacant forward half when we got possession and rebounded. How often have we seen that happen this year with no-one to kick to? Can Dale play that role?

Hey, I heard you the first time. Lol.

Valid points. I'm thinking Boyd and Stringer should be the new age players putting that fear of god physical presence on. The ability of Daleto gut run needs to be in his armour I agree. Another pre season should enhance both his physical and aerobic value. Given the run he had this season, I'll bet he hits the track and gym like a man possessed.

I also have never understood the replacing like for like mentality with list management. Did we win a flag with Cram as a key ? But we won one with Cordy at CHF. Go figure. Sometimes what we hadshould not dictate what we need. Cram was unique in what he offered. Shame we only saw it briefly

I'll bet anyone my life savings Dale is taller than 183cm.

Yeah i was listening to the ABC coverage of our game in Ballarat and they were going on about how we found our next key position forward in Bailey Dale. When someone mentioned that he is only 183cm, they were all staggered...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see the similarity Swoop except that both can score goals and could play high half forward.

Crameri is 190cm and 98kg. Dale is currently 183cm and 80kg.

What Crameri gave us was a huge physical presence and reasonable height combined with mobility in the forward half. Although not a genuine KPF you could play him at CHF at a pinch. He is a reasonable mark and has an enormous tank.

Dale is a stick figure compared to Crameri. Yes, he might fill out a bit but he's never going to be as physically imposing as Crameri and certainly nowhere near as tall. From what I've seen his tank isn't too bad and he can take a good overhead mark but we've yet to see whether he can gut run the length of the field to get on the end of an attacking chain as Crameri can do.

One last difference - Crameri averages almost twice as many goals per game over his career as Dale does. 1.68 to 0.87 (1.06 in 2017). Crameri did that from the very start of his AFL career (admittedly as a mature age rookie) and maintained it until he was rubbed out for having been at Windy Hill during the drugs scandal, while Dale is just building after 3 seasons. And if Dale starts kicking goals regularly opposition sides will start putting more work into him.

Very happy to have Dale but I see them as quite different types. With Dale's size he may need to develop more of an outside midfield role combined with his time in the forward half if we are to get full value from him. If he can average 1.5 goals a game though, I'd be happy for him to stay up forward all the time.
Different player than Crameri

He's a natural forward and an excellent finisher. We need more better users and we've found a beauty here. Still goes missing a little and isn't great defensively but really he's never going to be a high possession or an inside player.

Keen to see what he can do with a fit and functioning Boyd and Stringer. Ideal 3rd or 4th forward as he's a little awkward to match up on.

Thing about AFL heights is that after they get measured at the draft combine, there's no requirement for the clubs to update their player's heights beyond that draft combine measurement. And that given we stop growing when we're about 19-20, that's not their final height. Problem is that some players quite literally grow only half a cm in that final year or two, whilst others can grow up to 5cm - Dale is almost certainly closer to the latter than he is the former, but to what extent, we don't know.

FWIW Dale was listed at 182cm beginning his final U/18 year and was listed at 183cm at the draft combine. We have a tendency not to do this, e.g. Zordy is listed at 191cm when he's almost certainly around the 194cm mark, and Jong is listed at 188cm when he's around the 190cm mar, (I'm 187cm and he towered over me when I stood next to him once).

Thing about AFL heights is that after they get measured at the draft combine, there's no requirement for the clubs to update their player's heights beyond that draft combine measurement. And that given we stop growing when we're about 19-20, that's not their final height. Problem is that some players quite literally grow only half a cm in that final year or two, whilst others can grow up to 5cm - Dale is almost certainly closer to the latter than he is the former, but to what extent, we don't know.

FWIW Dale was listed at 182cm beginning his final U/18 year and was listed at 183cm at the draft combine. We have a tendency not to do this, e.g. Zordy is listed at 191cm when he's almost certainly around the 194cm mark, and Jong is listed at 188cm when he's around the 190cm mar, (I'm 187cm and he towered over me when I stood next to him once).

I'm 182 and Dale stood basically eye to eye with me no more than two months ago

He may be 184 but he is in no way two inches taller than me. I haven't grown a single cm since I was 16 so not everyone continues to grow after that age

Shane Biggs was also there are we were all basically the same height

The club does update the vital stats. Not saying they are always accurate but they definitely change from year to year, except of course the mature blokes who have stopped growing and have a settled playing weight.

Cordy is listed at 193cm BTW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back