Delisted Bailey Rice

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of romance late in the draft...

image.jpeg

Bailey Rice (10/02/1997 . 184cm, 81kg. Dandenong Stingrays)

Medium defender/midfielder

AFL biography: Medium midfielder/defender with excellent speed and power regularly on display when bursting from the stoppages or defensive 50. Is a versatile player, able to play in various roles within the team. Son of former Carlton premiership player Dean Rice and is eligible for Carlton or St Kilda under the father-son rule. Averaged 22 disposals (75 percent efficiency) and 4.5 rebound 50s in 11 games with the Stingrays and represented Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year.

"At 16 I said he was a rookie at best, and I've got to eat my own words. At 17 he showed more but I still wasn't sure he really wanted it. But he started to believe a bit more, and he's a really good prospect now. I think he's a genuine half-back flanker at the moment, but give it a couple of years and he could play in the midfield with the way he kicks and reads the play. He's stupid brave at times - he wants the ball really badly and he'll go against the flight and do all those things. Within two years he'll knock himself out, he's so courageous it's not funny. He's quite quiet within the group but very well liked. He just lets his footy do the talking. He's got to start ticking a few more boxes off the field, in terms of getting to meetings on time and things like that. He's very laidback, but he wants it and he'll get there."

Mark Wheeler, Dandenong Stingrays talent manager

Will become a strong-bodied mid IMO.

Bailey must be feeling a bit ignored compared to Gresham and White with the lack of activity in this thread.

Bailey must be feeling a bit ignored compared to Gresham and White with the lack of activity in this thread.
He'll get his dues when he loses the 'mo.

Tough love.

At times we were worried we'd have to stretch/consider not taking him with a bid in the early 20's. So to get him with Pick 66 (effectively) is pretty awesome.

Looking forward to seeing him in Saints colours :)
Bailey will be written up as a bargain pick at 66. The reality is he would be well rated in the 20 to 40 group, so it undersells him. Love the tribute to Movember, but mos, like tatts aren't big down at the Saints. Would love see more of Dean around the club. Great role model.

Maybe it's a bit like dancing with your sister. Even if she's hot, just... no... just no.

He'll get his dues when he loses the 'mo.

Tough love.
He has.

CUnLysBUkAAG40q.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean is very happy. Bailey is excited.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the Saints recruiting in that they go after footballers first and any special athletic prowess is a bonus. Great to see Bailey's good mate Whitey get drafted as well. Both boys are in for a rude shock taking the next step into professional sport. At least they will keep one another company at the back of the endurance pack until they build their tanks. Rest assured, they will become good AFL players if they can take that big step to professionalism.

So, I'm back being a Saints supporter again. I'll have to practice my marching steps to be ready for when they come marching in again.

Congrats to Bailey and the other 2 boys. It will be exciting to watch all the young sainters develop over the next few seasons.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the Saints recruiting in that they go after footballers first and any special athletic prowess is a bonus. Great to see Bailey's good mate Whitey get drafted as well. Both boys are in for a rude shock taking the next step into professional sport. At least they will keep one another company at the back of the endurance pack until they build their tanks. Rest assured, they will become good AFL players if they can take that big step to professionalism.

So, I'm back being a Saints supporter again. I'll have to practice my marching steps to be ready for when they come marching in again.

Congrats to Bailey and the other 2 boys. It will be exciting to watch all the young sainters develop over the next few seasons.

Looking forward to the "OldSaintsBro" switch!

That you Dean?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back