Delisted Bailey Rice

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamill says -
Bailey Rice 17 kicks, six handballs, five marks, one tackle

‘Bails’ was pretty stiff to be dropped, but it’s not the first time he’s been left out and he’s still developing as a defender. He was really safe with the ball and set us up really well from deep in defence. He always looks to move the ball really quickly for us; his ball use is really good, his contest is elite, and generally, his defence has been pretty solid.

Go Saints

So I feel I should write a slightly unnecessary summary of Bailey up to this point to stamp my position:

I remember watching his old man play when I was a kid and thinking that he was a hard bastard (even though I didn't properly understand what a bastard was yet). The kind of player you're glad is on your side. It seems the football genes are strong as Dean's uncle Colin, so Bailey's great uncle, captained Geelong in 1960.

Dean got delisted by the Saints after an ACL to one knee and an injury to the hour but was given a reprieve by the Bluebaggers in the pre-season draft. In his first game he redid the ACL but Carlton stuck with him, rebuilt his knee, rebuilt his confidence and he was a dominant force in their 95 flag (insert brown paper bag reference here).

Young Bailey played juniors at Beaconsfield, then with the Dandenong Stingrays. There were some initial knocks on his desire but as he matured he got hungrier and gained belief. He started training with the Saints properly about 18 months before being eligible to be drafted and Carlton fans were thrilled at the prospect of nabbing him, telling themselves that the father's premiership history and unceremonious exit from the Saints would surely land them the son. Bailey even grew up supporting them which made him a certainty to be picked up alongside yet another Silvagni.

But in year 12 the Saints pressed hard for the half bank flanker, courted him to the club and had him train with us. Much to their disappointment, Bailey nominated the Saints (thus creating much comedy as Carlton fans suddenly had a lot more question marks about him). Carlton still nominated him as a father-son prospect, meaning if the Saints passed they could pounce.

Draft night 2015 saw Richmond bid pick 49 for Bailey and under the then rules the Saints used pick 66 to match (Carlton would've had to use 54 which would potentially endanger their chances of getting Jack Silvagni).

Feel free to notice I pointed out the bargain he was in post #2 of this thread.

Bailey developed as a half back flanker in the VFL and strong performances saw him rewarded with a round 9 2018 debut against Collingwood. So far he's clocked up 11 games and we hope to see a lot more of him in 2019 and onwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 2
Hamill says

Bailey Rice
11 disposals, 10 kicks, three shots on goal
“Bails was one of our best. He couldn’t have done any more Ricey, he was bloody tough, he was consistent and he had a couple of shots on goal, three in the end. He performed really well, Bailey.”

Bailey Rice
10 disposals, two marks, six tackles
“Another one who’s no-fuss. He’s just a beauty because he’s trusting in the contest, so you drive to the game knowing that he’s one less to worry about – you know what you’re going to get from Ricey. His opportunities open up and his last passage of play, just his goal nous and sense show he’s going really well.”

Bailey Rice
15 disposals, two goals, five marks, six tackles
“I thought Ricey was one of our better players, no doubt about that. His contest work was outstanding and he provided really solid support for us in the air and on the deck. He’s trusted in the contest and he got on the end and kicked a couple, and on the whole he contributed really strongly for us. He didn’t get outmarked but where he could, he showed really good composure when it mattered which was on the deck in contest, so I was rapt with Ricey’s game.”

From In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round eight?

STK-header.png

Get them in: Hard-nosed onballers Luke Dunstan and David Armitage thrived as Sandringham scrapped out a win over Frankston, winning plenty of footy and kicking a goal each. Nathan Brown responded to his demotion well and Brandon White held firm down back. Robbie Young hurt an ankle but played out the game while Bailey Rice kicked a couple of goals. Nick Hind has been in reasonable form.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/in-the-mix-whos-pushing-for-selection-for-round-eight

Bailey Rice
Five disposals, two tackles

“That’s all we ask from him [in competing up forward] with Rowey and now Max. His moments will come, but he’s working harder, he’s getting to the better positions, his contest stuff is very good and he’s trusted. We really like the direction Ricey’s going in.”

Bailey Rice
10 disposals, four tackles, two goals

“Bailey’s work and contest stuff was very good as usual, but for him to hit the scoreboard with two goals was pleasing.”

Hate to say it but i think they will delist him at the end of the season , too many players in front of him now .

Don’t Panic !!

Bailey Rice
Nine disposals, three marks, one goal
“Being a key forward there, it was always going to be difficult considering we didn’t move the ball well and the way they defended. While he didn’t have huge numbers, we thought he contributed solidly. I always like his contest – he’s certainly trusted in there – and his positioning. If we can get the ball moving so it’s a bit more fluid it’ll help Ricey out, but as far as contest and his position as a hybrid forward, I liked some of his stuff.”

Bailey Rice
12 disposals, 10 kicks, five marks

“Ricey will be at times forward, at times back. We think he’s really good with both parts of the ground, we think his decision-making is very good, as is his work by foot, and he doesn’t lose contest. He’s hard to claim the boy because there’s a fair bit of him, but we like him down back and we like him up forward, but we were able to swing him back this week which was good.”

Don’t Panic !!

Bailey Rice
17 disposals, 14 kicks, six marks, eight tackles, one goal
“He had some very good moments in the game, Bailey. He helped set us up at times with entries and he helped defend strongly. I thought his contest work was outstanding, but his ability to set us up and bounce out of our back-half was pleasing.

Bailey Rice
18 disposals, 16 kicks, eight tackles, one goal
“Once again the ‘Ricewall’ down back was solid. We threw him in the midfield for 10 minutes in the third, and he was tough inside. Some of his positioning down back was really good for us and his contest work was really strong in there.”

Bailey Rice
14 disposals, 12 kicks, five tackles
“I thought Bailey was strong – his sort of weather getting down, dirty – and really good in the contest. I really liked Ricey’s game, particularly what he was able to do around contest and positioning. He was able to give us good use too when he could and some of his quick kicks and then ability to defend strongly was really good for us.”

Best mate Bailey Rice has been chomping at the bit for several weeks now, with his grit, bullish presence and toughness at the contest holding him in good stead all season.

Rice has been named as emergency the past six weeks and could find himself back in the red, white and black thanks to his unwavering commitment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back