Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Text book goal kicking technique:

Text book overhead marking technique:

Hits targets in the forward line:

Breaks from the contest and knows when to draw an opponent:

The supercoach posse read stats and hype in the media.

While they're doing that, this is what I see:

Elite endurance, and good speed.

Excellent vision and can execute quickly in traffic:

Gets to the contest and stays in it:

Can kick 50-55 off a step:

Any idea who it is that gathers the ball and handballs to Scott in that first video?

<Scott clips>

Great collection of clips Tef really sums up what I could see anecdotally into hard evidence.

He's the flipside of Brad McKenzie. There was a lot of fapping about Brad's kicking when we got him but there was something that made me uneasy about his game at the time.

Looking back it was the facts he didn't have the ability to find space to collect easy ball, didn't have the nouse and marking to consistently intercept it nor the contested game to win it inside. So his highlights were almost all uncontested static kicking situations that could never translate to AFL.

Conversely I can see how Bailey's highlights might deceive at first glance. His game isn't built off 1 or 2 flashy efforts per game.

Besides the foundation traits you've captured so well the forest for the trees aspect of Bailey people might overlook is that he stays INVOLVED for full games. Apart from Swallow this has been major problem for us over the long term, even Cunnington has gone through periods of feast and famine on his trajectory.

Conversely I can see how Bailey's highlights might deceive at first glance. His game isn't built off 1 or 2 flashy efforts per game.

Yep, he does the "percentages" very, very well.

I'm seriously impressed with his execution and ambidextrous like hand-balling. He does not even think about changing hands, and he sums up his options with amazing speed. A really quick footy mind.

I actually think he will emerge before Tarryn due to his better starting fitness base.

I'm seriously impressed with his execution and ambidextrous like hand-balling. He does not even think about changing hands, and he sums up his options with amazing speed. A really quick footy mind.

I actually think he will emerge before Tarryn due to his better starting fitness base.

Tef - he looks to have a bit of pace too - is that right. By the way that goal kicking - how similar is it to his old man - almost identical the run up and the way he held the footy. Gonna be a great get.

Tef - he looks to have a bit of pace too - is that right.

I'd say his pace is good, but not elite. However, he keeps running at that pace for the entire match.

By the way that goal kicking - how similar is it to his old man - almost identical the run up and the way he held the footy. Gonna be a great get.

His old man was a good player, that tends to get a little overlooked due to Carey and a couple of others at North in his era. Had a very good skill set and was also very gutsy, but I think Bailey is going to be better.

As for the goal kicking, it's absolute text book. Lines up the ball with the goals, doesn't wave it around, head over the footy, good ball drop, good balance and follows through.

I'd say his pace is good, but not elite. However, he keeps running at that pace for the entire match.

His old man was a good player, that tends to get a little overlooked due to Carey and a couple of others at North in his era. Had a very good skill set and was also very gutsy, but I think Bailey is going to be better.

As for the goal kicking, it's absolute text book. Lines up the ball with the goals, doesn't wave it around, head over the footy, good ball drop, good balance and follows through.

Yep Robert was vastly underrated - that final he played against Richmond in 95 was brilliant. Tends to get overshadowed in that game by Carey Scwass and Longmire but his 24 touches and 2 goals were instrumental in winning. If Bailey is anything close to that he will be a beauty.

That's a great set of clips and perfectly illustrates your points. Can't wait to see him play.

The handball is really good isn't it. That clip where he "knows when to draw a player" sums it up perfectly. That one is also good cos you can see how good his situational awareness is. He knows what's going on around him and where his options are but he doesn't commit to a decision until he has to. He's got a cool head too. He times his handball perfectly, waits till the window where the other guy commits but is unable to stop the handball opens, then puts it to his team mates advantage. It's almost textbook and if I was coaching kids again that's the sort of thing I'd be showing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other things about Tef's clips that is nice is Tarryn Thomas. He is involved with at least two plays from those clips - one where he gathers the spilled ball after Bailey tackles a player and another where he handballs to Bailey after breaking clear of the pack. Bailey goes on to put it thru from 45 out at post height. They're already working well together. Imagine them playing together in 4 or 5 years. After serving an apprenticeship under the likes of Higgins, Cunnington and Jacobs.

In a midfield with LDU, Ahern and possibly still Jed and Frog.:eek:

Trent Cotchin is who I see. Very balanced player, doesn't always catch the eye but everything he does is quality. Considering how light his build is some of his contested stuff is very good, surprised he's been pigeonholed as a flanker.

Trent Cotchin is who I see. Very balanced player, doesn't always catch the eye but everything he does is quality. Considering how light his build is some of his contested stuff is very good, surprised he's been pigeonholed as a flanker.
ive made it clear that i think he is too average at everything and doesnt have something that seperates him from others.

a role player but won't be a star of the comp
LOL, 2 sides to every story right.

ive made it clear that i think he is too average at everything and doesnt have something that seperates him from others.

a role player but won't be a star of the comp

You have also made it clear that you possess the football acumen of a lump of wood.

LOL, 2 sides to every story right.

I don't exactly see Cotchin in him either.

Speaking for myself, based on watching live games on tv with Bailey participating, the improvement he showed from 2017 to 2018 was massive. Last year he was a skinny kid who appeared miles off. This year, not knowing if he'd end up nominating us at the time of viewing, he looked like a real footballer who I'd be spewing to miss out on.

Presuming his development curve continues to follow that upward trajectory I reckon we'll be drafting a future gun in this kid.

Tough as teak, knows where to run (footy nouse in spades), and is a natural runner.

I fail to understand why anyone would hold the slightest negative position on what Bailey could projectively become in time based on what we've seen.

The fact the bloke loves the club and will be following in his father's footsteps is a gigantic bonus!

Future leader IMO.

one of many favourite moments from the 96 GF
as I remember we were down and Lockett choked then we got going
possibly after Kingy stomped on one of their blokes heads
R Scott in the middle tackles one guy, tackles another guy and then tackles a third guy
if Junior is made of that stuff will not be dropped once he gets in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back