Injury Bailey Smith ACL injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has suffered an ACL injury in a devastating training mishap which will wipe out his 2024 campaign.
Smith suffered the injury during a pre-season training session on Wednesday morning, with scans on his knee quickly confirming what was feared.

“We’re all extremely disappointed for Bailey, and empathise with him greatly,” Bulldogs’ football boss Chris Grant said.

“The entire club will rally around him during this difficult time, as he begins his rehab journey.”

The injury is a huge blow to Smith, who is out of contract beyond 2024.

Wish him a speedy recovery

Very bad timing from a contract point of view. Would have likely gotten a long term multi-million contract offer just last week. Has likely lost millions off that contract with one knee injury.
It’s not 1985. Off top my head Petracca Gawn and many top sportsman have done ACL s and played better afterwards..Happy for him to stay at dogs and to be honest I don’t think it’s it n good taste to discuss now but I’d be disappointed if Giants didn’t ask the question and offer good money and draft picks …if he felt need to get out of Melbourne and saw a role with us.

It’s not 1985. Off top my head Petracca Gawn and many top sportsman have done ACL s and played better afterwards..Happy for him to stay at dogs and to be honest I don’t think it’s it n good taste to discuss now but I’d be disappointed if Giants didn’t ask the question and offer good money and draft picks …if he felt need to get out of Melbourne and saw a role with us.

wtf does "played better afterwards" mean? They did both their ACL's when they were kids.

Who knows how much better they could've been without that injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All that force through the ACL when running, kicking, twisting and turning and many AFL players leg strength doesn't keep up with their upper body strength. Tell me I'm wrong?
I can readily assure you that an AFL player's leg strength is the absolute foundation of their game. That explosive first step and ability to break a tackle is mostly leg strength, core and a player's balance. Not to mention the anaerobic running capacity of an AFL player means that their leg strength is insanely good.

In any case, Bailey Smith is a terrible example. He is incredibly lean and while muscular, isn't bulky at all.

This guy is possibly the most fanatical trainer in the comp, will actually be interesting to see how he approaches rehab, wouldn't be surprised if he gets some games in later in the season

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Goodluck too him.
All not lost.
Alex Rance did his knee rnd 1 2019 and nearly convinced Dimma too play him in the 19 Gf.
Smith has 3mnths head start.

Sucks to see any player go through this. He's still young and will be back even better im sure of it. He can look to Robbie Gray as one example of a player who came back from an ACL and became one of the best in the comp.

On another note, why don't players ever have that LARS operation anymore. I remember 10-15 years ago some players could go through it and be back on the field in a few months? David Rodan was one player I remember having that surgery.

On another note, why don't players ever have that LARS operation anymore. I remember 10-15 years ago some players could go through it and be back on the field in a few months? David Rodan was one player I remember having that surgery.
Cos it wrecks your knees completely a few years later. If you want a quality of life after football you avoid LARS

I was wondering that myself actually. While not always successful there were enough success stories that I am surprised more players don't try it, especially since there has likely been another 15 years of perfecting the technique.

Rance though, unfortunately never played AFL again… So yep good luck to Bailey.

Tross was a fair bit older than Bailey though in football terms. He was also pretty much done and I reckon if he was part of the 2019 flag team he might have hung up the boots anyway.

Bailey still has it all in front of him if he wants it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back