Rumour Bailey Smith avoids being drafted interstate by way of medical reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Anxiety can be quite specific in certain cases. I dated a girl once who developed it pretty severely but it was mainly limited to anything involving driving. She was fine with most other things in life but couldn't go through a drive-through at Maccas without doing a lap of the block after to make sure she didn't run over a pedestrian on her way out.
Perhaps young Bailey has severe issues with being away from home for too long. Better to stay home in Vic than try and start a career interstate dependent on anti-depressants.

Entirely speculation on my part just then, but as people in here have stated, there could be more going on than we realise.
He went on the two week US academy tour earlier this year with no problems.

Have no issue with draftees saying there preference is to to play in a certain state. Be it for emotional stability or not wanting to play in a s**t town.

Gives the clubs a chance to address his issues or concerns if possible.
These guys are still young, earning good dollars does correlate with a solid emotional security.

For me in makes good sense, it becomes buyer beware. If a club goes against a players wishes and drafts him they do need to be sure they can offer the environment he desires or risk losing him and the esarliest opportunity.

It’s a fact any club can draft a player as it is a fact a player can leave asap. It is just being honest about where he is at.

The gold coast suns are a lot of things but would hardly call the gold coast a s**t town.
Seems like he was happy to play in Geelong :huh:

If his mental health is that fragile he's probably chosen the wrong career.

Especially if he’s reading any of the social media.

My opinion is when you put yourself into a national draft it’s because you’ve already done the pro’s and cons of the impact that it may have in your health. You don’t get to say yes to the draft and then get to dictate the terms and he should of been told that by the AFL when he submitted the certificate.

The afl’s problem is that they constantly live in fear that one day someone may legitimately take them and their Swiss cheese rules and regulations and go to court and see it through to the end.

My opinion is when you put yourself into a national draft it’s because you’ve already done the pro’s and cons of the impact that it may have in your health. You don’t get to say yes to the draft and then get to dictate the terms and he should of been told that by the AFL when he submitted the certificate.

The afl’s problem is that they constantly live in fear that one day someone may legitimately take them and their Swiss cheese rules and regulations and go to court and see it through to the end.

That is the root of the problem I think. The AFL know that if a player does take them to court, and goes all the way, that the draft probably won't come out on top. It is not remotely fair of course since every player knows what they are signing up for when trying to become an AFL player but it is what it is.

This is it. It is the players good will that allows this quite odd system which dictates the employees life.

So quick to judge him and everyone else despite knowing absolutely nothing about his personal circumstances or childhood that has led to this point.

Every second week in Melbourne hey? You do know that freo play in Melbourne 5 times in 2019, so if he plays he might get there 5 times during the season for a weekend - not exactly every second week. I wouldn’t call 10 nights a year a hell of a lot.

So 5 weekends + 2 byes where you can stay for the week over a 7 month period. If you need to see you family every weekend for your mental health then clearly playing sport in a national competition isn't the best fit.

No one is forcing anyone to play AFL. If he only wants to stay in Melbourne then sign up to play VFL not AFL.

Do American kids pull this in the NFL, NBA? Or do they understand that if they sign up to a national competition they may have to play anywhere in the nation.

All these people complaining he got a medical certificate to avoid moving interstate yet I bet all of these posters got on the piss , then went to the doctor the next day to get a certifcate to cover there arse for a solid sleep in at home.
But that’s different??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does anyone actually have any facts here or we all just jumping on the back of a 17 year old kid without actually confirming what he may/may not have done or his reasons why?
A forum on big footy that presents the accurate facts, you say?
th

People seeming to forget one of the most respected guys in football nathan buckleys stunt at Brisbane or cam mcarthy not playing a year in sydney... this is not a new thing and I think clubs would rather know beforehand rather than take a huge risk on their future and have ANOTHER talented player leave only to be left back at square 1 with another draft pick in an endless cylce.

The clubs want to filter our the bs as its best for them and the players want to play at home where its best for themselves also. Interstate supporters acting like its a Vic privellage thing should look at how hard port and adelaide tried to get up to take the SA boys over any VIC players. This is much the same coming from the clubs end. As well as port claiming to anyone who selected the SA boys that they will try and bring them back? Its simply the reality of the league that home will be a factor for players.

Immaturity may not be the only factor also as we have seen Geelongs Kelly wish to go home as a mature age recruit due to his kids! Dogs had Adams say he wishes to go home also as a mature ager (him ending up in bris is another story).

Comparisons to other codes dont factor in the sheer money those players get allows them to move their family with them if they wish.

Lots to consider however I dont blame Smith for wanting to stay in melbourne

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

People seeming to forget one of the most respected guys in football nathan buckleys stunt at Brisbane or cam mcarthy not playing a year in sydney... this is not a new thing and I think clubs would rather know beforehand rather than take a huge risk on their future and have ANOTHER talented player leave only to be left back at square 1 with another draft pick in an endless cylce.

The clubs want to filter our the bs as its best for them and the players want to play at home where its best for themselves also. Interstate supporters acting like its a Vic privellage thing should look at how hard port and adelaide tried to get up to take the SA boys over any VIC players. This is much the same coming from the clubs end. As well as port claiming to anyone who selected the SA boys that they will try and bring them back? Its simply the reality of the league that home will be a factor for players.

Immaturity may not be the only factor also as we have seen Geelongs Kelly wish to go home as a mature age recruit due to his kids! Dogs had Adams say he wishes to go home also as a mature ager (him ending up in bris is another story).

Comparisons to other codes dont factor in the sheer money those players get allows them to move their family with them if they wish.

Lots to consider however I dont blame Smith for wanting to stay in melbourne

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I don’t think anyone blames him for wanting to stay in Melbourne I’m sure 90% of players have a preference to stay in their home state. I agree the clubs will all be asking the question and wanting to know players thoughts on going interstate. The players should tell the club exactly how they feel. Both sides would want honesty.

The thing that people are riled up about is his thinking that he can pull a “medical condition prevents me from living anywhere except Melbourne” stunt.

He can have his preferences all day long, but at the end of the day if he wants to enter a national draft he has to be willing to be drafted anywhere in the nation. If his “medical condition” is significant enough that he has to remain in Melbourne then apply for a job in Melbourne not one where there is about a 50% chance of being sent elsewhere.

As a parent of a gifted athlete i'm not sure i'd be ready to let him leave the state when he was 17, especially with all the s**t footballers are into now days (drug culture).
That's a decision a family can take. There's no rule prohibiting youngsters from deciding not to nominate for the draft, and indeed subsequently nominating at a later stage.

Many occupations recruited statewide or nationally require teenagers to relocate. The military and Police for example. Many also relocate for tertiary study. It's not out of line with community standards, but it isn't compulsory.

They did step in.

They sent a memo to all player managers reminding them that it was a national comp.

They almost stepped in officially over it with an investigation according to Twomey.

The AFL could've got FIGJAM Buckley and Jason McCartney to do the investigation, they have experience with informing clubs prior to a draft that they don't want to be selected apart from their destination club.

Well thats a matter of opinion!:rolleyes:
Yep.
Living on the Gold Coast is very different to what people generally experience on holidays.
Not sure about you but I ’ve lived in both Geelong and the gc and certainly have my preference!

A lot of kids just aren't ready to up and leave the support of family, i know i wouldn't have been ready when i was 17, not sure what the answer is, maybe raising the age limit to 20?

They need to be 18 by the end of the year they're drafted. Smith turns 18 next week or the week after.

Do American kids pull this in the NFL, NBA? Or do they understand that if they sign up to a national competition they may have to play anywhere in the nation.

They've already generally had 2-4 years away at College and they're a bit older. The apron strings have been cut by then.

There are tens of thousands of kids leaving home by 18, going to boarding school, moving interstate for uni, enlisting in the ADF. Playing footy. Most do it quite successfully and become more independent and resilient for the experience.

The AFL needs to look at a longer initial contract. 5-6 years. Swing the hammer on interstate draft dodgers and see this problem go away.

They need to be 18 by the end of the year they're drafted. Smith turns 18 next week or the week after.

They've already generally had 2-4 years away at College and they're a bit older. The apron strings have been cut by then.

There are tens of thousands of kids leaving home by 18, going to boarding school, moving interstate for uni, enlisting in the ADF. Playing footy. Most do it quite successfully and become more independent and resilient for the experience.

The AFL needs to look at a longer initial contract. 5-6 years. Swing the hammer on interstate draft dodgers and see this problem go away.
Not long initial contracts though. Two problems.

1. AFL needs to reward success. Initial contracts are fixed (with some difference for draft position). Even if they weren't fixed you cant predict a players value 5 or 6 years down the track. The contract system would have to be thrown out and start fresh with a lot more flexibility.

2. For all the talk of contracts being meaningless once a club signs one that's it. While there provisions fir cancellation for players breaching them it just doesn't happen. The player could go to the beach permanently and be paid out the duration.

Surely you can see why a kid from metropolitan Melbourne doesn't want to land up playing for the Gold Coast, even putting performance aside?

No, I don’t see it. A kid being paid decent money and relocation costs to become a full-time schoolie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back