Rumour Bailey Smith mental health

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sad news and I hope he gets the help he needs and is able to come back in a better space.

It's a shame that so many sportspeople/celebs have taken the piss with mental health that people will (even for half a second) question the legitimacy of it.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Id put money on it being substance related.

Thats not a dig, substance addiction is a serious problem and certainly a legitimate mental health issue. hopefully he gets the help he needs.
Not too sure if it is. Even when he was 17 he mentioned to clubs he would struggle being away from Victoria.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Id put money on it being substance related.

Thats not a dig, substance addiction is a serious problem and certainly a legitimate mental health issue. hopefully he gets the help he needs.

Wasn’t the buzz that he didn’t even drink alcohol when he was drafted?

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1-4 year players have been back at the dogs for 3 weeks, he hasn’t been there, or at least seen anyway. So in theory since then he has been recovering, but I saw him on a friends insta story at circus? Nightclub in Melbourne last week or so. That’s pretty disappointing IMO.
Yeah, a bloke suffering from mental health issues should not have fun and lock themselves indoors. That ought to do it.

hazza21

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, a bloke suffering from mental health issues should not have fun and lock themselves indoors. That ought to do it.
Catching up with mates is one thing, but partying eh. Don’t think my workplace would be too thrilled if I was written off sick but am partying until all hours...

Last edited:
Catching up with mates is one thing, but partying eh. Don’t think my workplace would be too thrilled if I was written off sick but am partying until all hours...
Centrelink dont care what you do outside of "work" hours.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Mental health illnesses are a real bitch and can seriously affect quality of life. Wish him all the best.

I hope individuals or clubs aren't using that as a smokescreen to cover for other issues because that would be a real slap in the face to those who have suffered with them.

I think we need to take people on good faith without evidence to the contrary.

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not too sure if it is. Even when he was 17 he mentioned to clubs he would struggle being away from Victoria.

Yet he seems to spend as much time as possible on the Gold Coast, the place he was desperate to avoid…

I’d be pretty annoyed if I was the Dogs, from all the Instagram posts around he’s had an off season worthy of Dane Swan, plus another post mentioning he was seen at a nightclub a week ago.

Imagine your workplace if you tell them you are sick and can’t work, then they see you partying.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I'd rather stay close to mum and dad. Family is life.

That is fine but then don’t sign up for a National competition, accept all the commercial benefits and put caveats on who can draft you. If it is mental or emotional don’t tempt fate, just stay local and play in a state league competition. Demanding both which many seem to do is wanting your cake and eating it too.

In this case he clearly has some mental health issues and that requires empathy and understanding from all…

Back