Recommitted Bailey Smith [signed until 2024]

Out of contract at years end and would be due for a pay rise and salary cap at dogs would be starting to be an issue.

smith has also just taken a leave of absence preXmas break so maybe a change of scenery could help be it a different state or even just a different club where he has close mates

regardless one to watch next year

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Out of contract at years end and would be due for a pay rise and salary cap at dogs would be starting to be an issue.

smith has also just taken a leave of absence preXmas break so maybe a change of scenery could help be it a different state or even just a different club where he has close mates

regardless one to watch next year
Of all the possible scenarios, I think a change of state is the least likely

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of all the possible scenarios, I think a change of state is the least likely

Most likely would be another team being able to offer him a huge pay rise. Otherwise I don't think he has compelling reason to leave, he's playing every game in a contending side.

Can't see him leaving the Dogs.

I just hope he gets ahead of what he's dealing with and keeps playing good football first and foremost.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Highly doubt he will leave us when we are contending for a premiership
The only way would be if he got a significantly better $ offer elsewhere and he felt he could also get more opportunity at that club.

I highly doubt it happens and expect him to get more opportunity this year, but he is going to have some ridiculous money thrown at him.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Really don't want to lose him but would be rude of a club like Hawks not to go absolutely balls to the wall hard to get him.
He’d fit in as well there as I would at a Vegan Restaurant.

Dogs are perfect for him. He’s perfect for the Dogs.

300 gamer for the ‘Scray

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only way would be if he got a significantly better $ offer elsewhere and he felt he could also get more opportunity at that club.

I highly doubt it happens and expect him to get more opportunity this year, but he is going to have some ridiculous money thrown at him.
What do you mean by more opportunity? As in a favoured position? He’s literally played every game since being drafted.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
What do you mean by more opportunity? As in a favoured position? He’s literally played every game since being drafted.
Yeah more time in the centre square. He is so good on a wing and half forward so it make sense from the Dogs to use him elsewhere to fit in the other star mids.

Could be the main guy at a lot of teams though. Expect we will see him get more time in the guts this year though and it won’t be an issue

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Ben King re-signs I certainly hope we’d offer most of the Bing money to Smith, if he hasn’t re-signed in the meantime.

I imagine we would have put a lot of time into him in that draft, since he was in the mix for picks around ours.

We could offer him a prime midfield role.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If Ben King re-signs I certainly hope we’d offer most of the Bing money to Smith, if he hasn’t re-signed in the meantime.

I imagine we would have put a lot of time into him in that draft, since he was in the mix for picks around ours.

We could offer him a prime midfield role.
We could offer him to be our 1st 2nd and 3rd best midfielder

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If he leaves he ain’t going to one of the presumed small teams like the Saints. Genuinely seems to have good connections with the club so I don’t think he is going anywhere.

hazza21

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definitely want to keep him but I would guess the best we could offer is around 500k per year. Other clubs could easily double that and promise a more prominent role.

It’s going to be tough to keep him.

I must say until the finals series I thought he was a touch overhyped with a unreliable decision making / foot skills. But the match winning attribute he displayed in finals makes him an elite talent.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
No way that he leaves surely?

Seems pretty invested with the club and feel like he's happy just to play footy while also building his brand off field.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I must say until the finals series I thought he was a touch overhyped with a unreliable decision making / foot skills. But the match winning attribute he displayed in finals makes him an elite talent.
Got better as the year went on and peaked at the perfect time. Finals. Took his game to another level. But yeah at points throughout 2021 he was average, which is to be expected of a young 3rd year player.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Money won't be an issue for Bailey he will make twice as much from sponsorship's. Seems he likes Bevo and how he cares for him can't see him leaving whilst he's there but you never know

Got better as the year went on and peaked at the perfect time. Finals. Took his game to another level. But yeah at points throughout 2021 he was average, which is to be expected of a young 3rd year player.
His role changed later in the season and it suited both Bailey and us.
At age 21 Dale Morris was still playing on mudheaps at VFL level so Smith is well ahead of the normal development path for an AFL player.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His latest deal is with Cotton On menswear, Tim English asked what we were all thinking

1645075195533.png

Really don't want to lose him but would be rude of a club like Hawks not to go absolutely balls to the wall hard to get him.
Was a mad Hawks fan growing up, I read somewhere...maybe these two could join forces again. Neither like to wear shirts.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Wasn't there some rumours going before that draft that he told certain clubs (esp interstate ones) that he wanted to be drafted to The Dogs ?

Can't imagine him leaving the Dogs, but in the 1 in a 1000 chance he does, I do think Hawthorn would be in the box seat/position to secure his services.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
His family are mad Hawthorn, but they have pretty much followed their son to the Doggies. He is a loyal guy and, unless something happens to really upset him at the Dogs, he is highly unlikely to go anywhere. Still, Melbourne clubs would be foolish to not have a go. You just never know....

Back