Recommitted Bailey Smith [signs two year deal to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't he tell certain interstate clubs he wanted to stay in Victoria and was very keen to join The Bulldogs?
Yes, because he wanted to stay in Victoria, and it became clear Carlton and St. Kilda were set on Sam Walsh and Max King.

Obviously not a realistic trade target and seems very happy at the Bulldogs, but he still hasn't recommitted long-term, and there's always been an ever so slight, niggling suspicion among some Bulldogs fans that he wants to play for Hawthorn one day, growing up a die-hard fan.

fd794f68315ea55a7e9d5b65c453542e

He may go to Haw one day .. or he may be rusted on Dog by the time his contract is done...

Not going anywhere. Bleeds red white and blue. Will be a bulldogs premiership player. Every player dreams to play for the club they barracked for, such lazy journalism if someone’s written an article about it.

My response was a direct response to your arrogant post mate. Bailey Smith may one day win a flag with the doggies, but if I were a betting man I would back against that happening. No one likes Hawthorn because we actually win things. Tall poppy syndome has never been more alive in Australia.
It's not tall poppy regarding Hawthorn, people just dont like smug arrogance, your mob will not be winning another flag any year soon.

Not sure why it's taking so long to lock him up...
He is an extremely promising young player with all the talent in the world, holding off can only help his value.

He has a killer year and dominates and proves that he has what it takes to be an elite AFL player he gets more money. If he has a disappointing season he will still get paid on talent. Has everything to gain by holding off with not a lot to lose.

Other possibility is that he is still a die hard Hawks fan and just can't wait to play in the Brown and Gold in 2021 ;)

Odds are 1000000-1 he will leave the Dogs. Bailey Smith will be a Dog for life.
Dogs fans have no reason to worry at all. Zilch. Suspect the manager haggling over the length of the contract, Dogs (I assume) would want a 5 year long term deal, manager of Bailey would obviously want a shorter deal so he will get a sizable bigger pay day as he starts to really enter his prime at 23 etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going anywhere. Bleeds red white and blue. Will be a bulldogs premiership player. Every player dreams to play for the club they barracked for, such lazy journalism if someone’s written an article about it.
Just saw this. I know Bailey personally. He grew up in East Malvern and was a huge Hawthorn supporter. If he ever wanted to leave and join another club, strongest chance is it would be Hawthorn (but I doubt he is going anywhere in the next few years).

Just saw this. I know Bailey personally. He grew up in East Malvern and was a huge Hawthorn supporter. If he ever wanted to leave and join another club, strongest chance is it would be Hawthorn (but I doubt he is going anywhere in the next few years).

unless you’re struggling to get a senior game or are ridiculously under paid- it’s extremely rare going from one Melbourne based club to another. Which I can’t see happening with Smith. He’s going to be a star. The reasoning of childhood club is also ridiculous.

Everyone knows he was a Hawthorn fan. That’s nothing new.

This article might allude to why he still remains unsigned beyond 2020:

“Probably one year (contracts) would be better because you’ve got a shorter time to prove yourself and you’re more hungry to prove yourself. If you had a longer time, you’d think ‘I’ve got next year to show what I can do’.

“The shorter it is, I honestly think the better. Whatever, I don’t mind.”

This article might allude to why he still remains unsigned beyond 2020:

“Probably one year (contracts) would be better because you’ve got a shorter time to prove yourself and you’re more hungry to prove yourself. If you had a longer time, you’d think ‘I’ve got next year to show what I can do’.

“The shorter it is, I honestly think the better. Whatever, I don’t mind.”

Smart to wait. Like Walsh should’ve, they could get ridiculously big offers by the end of this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back