Recommitted Bailey Smith [signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be real, he's probably earning as much out of footy as in footy at the moment.

He would want to try reduce his party boy/clubbing lifestyle outside of footy if he wants to become the player we all think he can potentially be (a top 5 player in the league for more than a decade)

That is one the thing/knock I worry about Smudger, and I think the Dogs may privately be worried about it too, just quietly

He would want to try reduce his party boy/clubbing lifestyle outside of footy if he wants to become the player we all think he can potentially be (a top 5 player in the league for more than a decade)

That is one the thing/knock I worry about Smudger, and I think the Dogs may privately be worried about it too, just quietly
Sounds like he couldn't train harder. Not fussed on the partying as long as its legal and doesn't disrupt the playing group

Wasn't there some rumours going before that draft that he told certain clubs (esp interstate ones) that he wanted to be drafted to The Dogs ?

Can't imagine him leaving the Dogs, but in the 1 in a 1000 chance he does, I do think Hawthorn would be in the box seat/position to secure his services.
Not sure about hoping he would be drafted by the Dogs specifically, but I think it was said that he requested to stay in Melbourne to interstate clubs

His closest contemporary is Sam Walsh, who when I take off my Bulldogs coloured glasses is the better player of the two and his new contract is reportedly valued at $825k a year and goes through to the end of 2026. I don't see Bailey's dollar value reaching anywhere near that but the length sounds about right.

I can see Saints offering him a large deal for 800k or so. They desperately need a different mix in their midfield and he'd likely be a good fit next to Steele being able to shoulder the defensive work which Smith seems struggle with.

Would he move to the Saints for 800 though? You'd think he would be able to get 600k easy enough for the Dogs, so only 100k/yr after tax. For a guy who seems reasonably aware of his overall brand value, not sure it's the move he would make.

I think it's more likely he signs a 3 year deal on solid money for us, then he can either cash in on some money we should have open up then (Libba retired, Bont/Macrae etc a bit older and taking less dollars) or be a FA and really cash in as an (assumedly) bona fide star of the comp.

Would he move to the Saints for 800 though? You'd think he would be able to get 600k easy enough for the Dogs, so only 100k/yr after tax. For a guy who seems reasonably aware of his overall brand value, not sure it's the move he would make.

I think it's more likely he signs a 3 year deal on solid money for us, then he can either cash in on some money we should have open up then (Libba retired, Bont/Macrae etc a bit older and taking less dollars) or be a FA and really cash in as an (assumedly) bona fide star of the comp.
I think he should stay at the Dogs and think he will... but just think the only club that should be an option for him and would have the ability to make an offer for him is St kilda. He'd be able to get a great role in their midfield to allow him to play to his strengths and have some big minutes on ball

I think he should stay at the Dogs and think he will... but just think the only club that should be an option for him and would have the ability to make an offer for him is St kilda. He'd be able to get a great role in their midfield to allow him to play to his strengths and have some big minutes on ball

He’s interesting, because I really feel like he has two best positions. He’d be heading up the Saints on ball brigade, but he’s very, very good as a high half forward too.

He’s getting enough money off field that I’m not sure an 800k contract with the Saints, vs maybe 650-700k from us, would be enough to sway him. His fan base will like the loyalty I reckon.

Would love him at the Suns for around 600k if he ever wanted to get out of the bubble.

Touk Rowell Anderson Smith would be a very elite 2 way midfield.

Don't think money is an issue wherever he goes, one of the most marketable players on and off the field

Wasn't there some rumours going before that draft that he told certain clubs (esp interstate ones) that he wanted to be drafted to The Dogs ?

Can't imagine him leaving the Dogs, but in the 1 in a 1000 chance he does, I do think Hawthorn would be in the box seat/position to secure his services.
Your thinking of Archie Perkins

Would love him at the Suns for around 600k if he ever wanted to get out of the bubble.

Touk Rowell Anderson Smith would be a very elite 2 way midfield.

Don't think money is an issue wherever he goes, one of the most marketable players on and off the field
He’s worth closers to 800k-1mil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I obviously don't want to go anywhere. I leave it to my manager to talk about and he tells me when it gets serious and when to put pen to paper and I'll say 'Done'. I'm just there to sign. That's the thing. I don't want to go anywhere else," Smith told AFL.com.au this month.

\o/

"I obviou(s)ly don't want to go (a)nywhere. I leave (i)t to my manager to talk about and he tells me whe(n) i(t) gets (s)erious and when to put pen to paper and I'll say 'Done'. I'm just there to sign. That's the thing. I don't want to go anywhere else," Smith told AFL.com.au this month.

:eek::eek:

I can see Saints offering him a large deal for 800k or so. They desperately need a different mix in their midfield and he'd likely be a good fit next to Steele being able to shoulder the defensive work which Smith seems struggle with.
Saints had lots of cash put aside for Ben king apparently, so we are cashed up and is exactly what we need. I would define say we would have a crack but I doubt anything comes of it

Saints should be falling over themselves to lure him over, Steele is great but their midfield doesn't really have another A grade midfielder. Plus they got that King money as well.

Why are Saints fans commenting in here after he just said he was going to stay at the dogs and its not IF he signs but WHEN?

If he was to leave the dogs (big if), I could see it being to an interstate club, where he is out of the Melbourne bubble. Think he’ll be a bulldog for life tho

Why are Saints fans commenting in here after he just said he was going to stay at the dogs and its not IF he signs but WHEN?
I said big if. Was just a speculation post. Never said he was going too mate 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back