Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My read of it was that some nobody antagonised a young AFL footballer, got what he deserved (probably less than he deserved) and is now seeking his 15 minutes of fame by pressing charges.
Pretty much how I read it as well.

Dogs have come down very significantly on ill-discipline in the past (Boyd, Cordy and Hunter examples), either they've not got enough information to discipline Smith or they've got what they need and don't see it worthy of any punishment. The statement reads like the latter so I'm not concerned.

Good thing being good at footy isn’t illegal or Sam Walsh would be in prison for life.

Pretty much how I read it as well.

Dogs have come down very significantly on ill-discipline in the past (Boyd, Cordy and Hunter examples), either they've not got enough information to discipline Smith or they've got what they need and don't see it worthy of any punishment. The statement reads like the latter so I'm not concerned.
If it was a serious matter and the guy was concussed or injured or something of the sort then it’d be mainstream news. The media loves to come down hard on footballers.

Sounds exactly like some kid had a few too many drinks, was revving up Bazlenka, probably got in his face and Baz felt threatened or annoyed by some dumb drunk campaigners presence and put him on his bum - as he deserved.

Nothing to see here. Please stop picking on Bailey Smith for dumb s**t. He’s a kid. I put a middle aged man on his ass in a pub in Ireland for slapping my missus on the ass. We all do things we wish we didn’t when we’re on the piss.

If it was a serious matter and the guy was concussed or injured or something of the sort then it’d be mainstream news. The media loves to come down hard on footballers.

Sounds exactly like some kid had a few too many drinks, was revving up Bazlenka, probably got in his face and Baz felt threatened or annoyed by some dumb drunk campaigners presence and put him on his bum - as he deserved.

Nothing to see here. Please stop picking on Bailey Smith for dumb sh*t. He’s a kid. I put a middle aged man on his ass in a pub in Ireland for slapping my missus on the ass. We all do things we wish we didn’t when we’re on the piss.
Very sensible and mature post.

It wouldn’t have been a thing if it was Bailey Smith and I think that’s all that need be said.

Sam Walsh by a country mile both now and for the future. The kid is an out and out star and one of the most consistent players in the comp already, with elite attributes in basically most facets of the game and all the intangibles you could want. Smith's a very good player but can't help but feel that he doesn't have the best footy iq and doesn't cope that well when the heat is well and truly dialed up to the max.

Smith's a very good player but can't help but feel that he doesn't have the best footy iq and doesn't cope that well when the heat is well and truly dialed up to the max.

no issue with your rating of Walsh but I’ll address this. I’m all for history being written by the victor and all but the second part of your Smith comment reeks of a judgement based on a quarter and a half of a grand final where Smith’s team was thumped.

that is ignoring a clutch performance in a one point semi final win, and dominating in a preliminary final, both on hostile turf against more favoured sides. Don’t bullshit the “heat wasn’t turned up there” - particularly in Brisbane. Just because the bulldogs lost the grand final it doesn’t automatically downgrade all their performances leading up to it.

Walsh hasn’t even played in games close to that much pressure yet, whereas at 20 Smith has already proven finals performance.

Walsh hasn’t even played in games close to that much pressure yet, whereas at 20 Smith has already proven finals performance.

If Walsh played those games he'd be one of the first players the opposition targeted. Bailey doesn't have to face that kind of heat. Even in the big pressure games he probably hasn't copped the heat Walsh has in a H&A match.

Sam Walsh by a country mile both now and for the future. The kid is an out and out star and one of the most consistent players in the comp already, with elite attributes in basically most facets of the game and all the intangibles you could want. Smith's a very good player but can't help but feel that he doesn't have the best footy iq and doesn't cope that well when the heat is well and truly dialed up to the max.

Think he's fine with the heat tbh. Agree with fhe footy i.q though. Can be frustrating at times watching him play on and roost it 50m to the opposition. Needs to think it through a little better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. Even in the big pressure games he probably hasn't copped the heat Walsh has in a H&A match.

still the most laughable shitpost in a thread full of shitposting.

You are right though, sure the level of pressure and heat would be more in a round 16 game against freo would probably be more than a crunch semi final.

still the most laughable shitpost in a thread full of shitposting.

You are right though, sure the level of pressure and heat would be more in a round 16 game against freo would probably be more than a crunch semi final.

There's heat in a match and there's heat applied to a player. Smith does not attract more heat from opposition teams. Sorry if that offends you so.

In a thread full of egg-on-face comments about Walsh, that is the most laughable to you? Fanboi oversensitivity.

There's heat in a match and there's heat applied to a player. Smith does not attract more heat from opposition teams. Sorry if that offends you so.

In a thread full of egg-on-face comments about Walsh, that is the most laughable to you? Fanboi oversensitivity.
Whilst Smith isn't directly targeted in a Semi as much as Walsh is directly targeted in a H&A match - the pressure of the game is way, way higher. Smith used his elite running and executed under this pressure. I don't know that the individual pressure that Walsh receives is even a quarter of the perceived pressure that Smith experiences in finals.

This argument comes down to a simple question... What would be worse as a player? - The percieved pressure of a big final, or Matt Deboer hanging onto you like a boa constrictor every minute of a game?

The argument of Smith vs Walsh is dead for the time being but hopefully Bazlenka goes up a level next year so we can have another 6 months of sh*t slinging after every game on of them stars in. This year was pretty much one way traffic outside the 2 good finals Bailey played.

This argument comes down to a simple question... What would be worse as a player? - The percieved pressure of a big final, or Matt Deboer hanging onto you like a boa constrictor every minute of a game?

The argument of Smith vs Walsh is dead for the time being but hopefully Bazlenka goes up a level next year so we can have another 6 months of sh*t slinging after every game on of them stars in. This year was pretty much one way traffic outside the 2 good finals Bailey played.
Understand it's been a while since Carlton played in finals, but the pressure in big finals is actually real, not 'perceived'.

Maybe one day we'll see if Walsh is one of those players who not only stands up in big finals but goes to another level.

Because we know that Smith does.
Yeah Smith really went missing that 2nd half of the grand final. Hopefully Walsh will stand up if the Blues ever stop being a dumpsterfire and make it to the big dance

Smith in particular, or the Doggies in general?

How would you rate Smith's finals series as a whole, out of 10?

I'd give it a 9. Not bad for a 20 year old.
Id say in order of his games - 6, 10, 8, 6 (Averages out at about 7.5)

His first game was a non factor

Game vs Brisbane was awesome, best on ground just about and kicked a few clutch goals.

Game vs Port was statistically really good but the entire game was a landslide and as a half forward getting on the end of play when your flogging someone just doesnt really make me think wow this guys a deadset gun... but 4 goals none the less has to be rewarded.

Grand final genuinely barely noticed him and when the tide turned he did absolutely nothing to change the flow of the game.

Smith doesnt have a defensive bone in his body and while his offensive ability is really good, when the dogs all time great level midfield cant assert their dominance he goes completely missing from games. He doesnt do many things on the field that will inspire his team like going in for genuine hard ball like Selwood or Oliver have over their careers or making a run down tackle that saves a goal... he generally just gets the ball at a decent rate and bombs it long which depending on where he recieves it can be within range of him kicking for goal which hes very very good at.

There were numerous times I saw Ed Langdon absolutely torch Smith in the grand final out on the wing which led to a few goals too. Langdon isnt of the same ilk as Smith talent wise but the role he plays for the Dees clearly outshone Smiths one way running on game day.

Once Smith becomes a more accountable player I'll consider him in the 'Elite' category but right now hes too much of a liability defensively. Feel free to disagree, I still think hes a very very good talent... But not in the same realm as Bont or Petracca, Oliver, Wines etc

Back