Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both will win Brownlow medals (though not necessarily MVPs) because of where they play and their prodigious output but I’d take Smith because of his outside game.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It may be a bit unfashionable and I love mocking Carlton, but I have been watching Walsh really closely and I could not be more impressed with him right now. He is a contest to contest terrier with pretty decent skills and I don’t think the Blues would be giving him back for anyone.

Smith has been pushed largely to a wing at the Bulldogs, also a really good player.

But Walsh is looking a rightful number one pick from an amazing draft year. There are great picks all the way down this draft and spilling into the SSP.

Kenny Hunter09

Debutant
May 11, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
It may be a bit unfashionable and I love mocking Carlton, but I have been watching Walsh really closely and I could not be more impressed with him right now. He is a contest to contest terrier with pretty decent skills and I don’t think the Blues would be giving him back for anyone.

Smith has been pushed largely to a wing at the Bulldogs, also a really good player.

But Walsh is looking a rightful number one pick from an amazing draft year. There are great picks all the way down this draft and spilling into the SSP.

Good - actually great post...it's easy to mock or bag the number 1 pick when there are a bunch of guns (potential or confirmed) that were picked following. It's happened in this thread (and last year in the media generally). It's clear to me that anyone that emphatically, without question says that take Smith over Walsh, doesn't watch many (if any) Carlton games.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good - actually great post...it's easy to mock or bag the number 1 pick when there are a bunch of guns (potential or confirmed) that were picked following. It's happened in this thread (and last year in the media generally). It's clear to me that anyone that emphatically, without question says that take Smith over Walsh, doesn't watch many (if any) Carlton games.
Anyone who outright declares one being better than the other either doesn't watch enough footy, or more likely is just fishing for reactions (which they'll no doubt get in this thread).

Despite that, the biggest thing that puts Walsh behind Smith in my eyes is the lack of a sick haircut.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton

the beauty about Walsh is that he was ready made. That is to say, he gave little opportunity for the Club to botch his development as it has done with other draft recruits.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone who outright declares one being better than the other either doesn't watch enough footy, or more likely is just fishing for reactions (which they'll no doubt get in this thread).

Despite that, the biggest thing that puts Walsh behind Smith in my eyes is the lack of a sick haircut.

Hands down, the Abe Simpson quote is so apt

6FA0D76B-D5C3-4ABE-A6E2-2859CF080871.gif

PS I’m a huge fan of the Bailey locks

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Would still prefer Smith personally but I have been impressed with the improvement in Walsh's game this year. Looks much more dynamic and less of an accumulator.

Walsh is just running his opponents ragged and getting to contests before he has the right to, time after time. When he gets there he is really tough to beat. Just looks foolproof to me. I have watched Smith carefully too and also a really good gut runner, but Walsh has him covered in the contest IMO. Not to say Smith has any real weakness at the contest but Walsh is better.

Kenny Hunter09

Debutant
May 11, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh is just running his opponents ragged and getting to contests before he has the right to, time after time. When he gets there he is really tough to beat. Just looks foolproof to me. I have watched Smith carefully too and also a really good gut runner, but Walsh has him covered in the contest IMO. Not to say Smith has any real weakness at the contest but Walsh is better.

I'm not sure what Smith's opposite side of is like, but Walsh has no left. It's the only real knock I can find in his game I can see. That said, more often than not, he's crafty enough to get out of trouble if he's trapped on his left.

Now, as I think about the 'vanilla' comments that were bandied about last year, I giggle. He's as vanilla as an affogato made with Connoisseur Mint Choc Chip ice cream and Ardbeg Caol Ila.

Would still prefer Smith personally but I have been impressed with the improvement in Walsh's game this year. Looks much more dynamic and less of an accumulator.

Walsh is a Selwood type player - a grinder with a footy brain - pleasing to see his kicking has stepped up a notch or two this year but that is probably because he has aclimatised to AFL levels of speed around the contests - but he will come into his own when he adds another 5 or so kilos over the next couple of years ...

Smith is a great player too - but unlike Carlton's thin midfield - Smith has to share the glory with a few other guns.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not sure what Smith's opposite side of is like, but Walsh has no left. It's the only real knock I can find in his game I can see. That said, more often than not, he's crafty enough to get out of trouble if he's trapped on his left.

Now, as I think about the 'vanilla' comments that were bandied about last year, I giggle. He's as vanilla as an affogato made with Connoisseur Mint Choc Chip ice cream and Ardbeg Caol Ila.

It’s one thing that does my absolute head in these days! Top 10 draft picks who are mids that can’t kick on their opposite. They should be kicking opposite foot by TAC level and really working on it.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh literally is your midfield. Smith plays a role in ours. Big big difference. Smiths bigger, quicker, stronger, better disposal, kicks more goals, more aggression. I don’t think there’s many parts of the game Walsh has him covered in to be completely honest
You've just shot yourself in the foot here.

Are you suggesting that Walsh has it easier because he's a 1-man-band in the midfield, whilst Smith's role is harder because he plays on the wing (2nd easiest position on the ground) and has Bont, Macrae, Treloar and co. feeding it to him?

Also angry face + mullet doesn't = more aggression. Walsh is as tough as anyone in the contest this year and never gets caught.

Once again this thread is just full of blokes who saw reports on Walsh during his draft year and haven't watched one iota since.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wouldn't be surprised to see both named in this years AA team, maybe even on opposite wings. Would be an exceptional achievement as 3rd year players. The best 3rd year midfielders I have seen since Selwood.
20210407_091243.jpg

This bloke went alright in his 3rd year. 20 Brownlow votes, All Australian and B&F in a premiership team...

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Dermie was spot on about Bailey Smith

Very often those who cry mental health are the biggest bullies of all

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dermie was spot on about Bailey Smith

Very often those who cry mental health are the biggest bullies of all
Steps over a player and gives a bit of a shove to another after they lose marking contest, as happens numerous times every single game. What a bully, any mental health concerns must now be ignored.

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Steps over a player and gives a bit of a shove to another after they lose marking contest, as happens numerous times every single game. What a bully, any mental health concerns must now be ignored.

Pretty much yes.

You cant be mentally abusive and cry about mental health really

A bit like how I cant be a advocate for the environment while being a tree logger

A clear run in and shove to a player who lost a marking contest and team is getting belted when Smith wasn't even the one who took the mark, that is the epitome of a ******* w***er. Especially when he has a cry about mental health

The stepping over the player didn't seem too bad though

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
A clear run in and shove to a player who lost a marking contest and team is getting belted when Smith wasn't even the one who took the mark, that is the epitome of a ******* w***er. Especially when he has a cry about mental health

The stepping over the player didn't seem too bad though

Its kind of the concept that one feeds the other

A big part of his mental health issues could easily be born from the fact he is a ultra competitive to the point of losing basic self control. If he removed that from his life he would be a happier person anyway

Back