Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A clear run in and shove to a player who lost a marking contest and team is getting belted when Smith wasn't even the one who took the mark, that is the epitome of a ******* w***er. Especially when he has a cry about mental health

The stepping over the player didn't seem too bad though
It may have been a little floggish as an act but it has zero to do with his mental health issues.

"Mentally abusive" hahaha

Under no circumstances may he show aggression on field because he has off field issues?

Yes. He needs to live by his words.

Under no circumstances can I walk around knocking down trees if I am a advocate for environmental protection either.

These are pretty basic human concepts here mate. Live by example of your actions, not by the noise from your mouth

Yes. He needs to live by his words.

Under no circumstances can I walk around knocking down trees if I am a advocate for environmental protection either.

These are pretty basic human concepts here mate. Live by example of your actions, not by the noise from your mouth
He pushed a player. That's it.

Its a pattern though as Dermie is saying.

I mean, how do you expect to improve your mental health if you dont make changes to your life? Have you ever met a ultra aggressive person who was happy? I havnt
I'd be more concerned if he was acting like that on the street than any act on field tbh. There may also be more to the story about him shoving Ziebel, who knows.

He pushed a player. That's it.

I think you'd find an example every game Smith plays, he loves getting in the face of his opponents when they make a mistake, it feeds his energy and makes him the player he is, he's good enough to talk the talk and walk the walk so all the power to him.

People may call him out like Dermie but he shouldn't worry about it if he's performing the way he is.

A clear run in and shove to a player who lost a marking contest and team is getting belted when Smith wasn't even the one who took the mark, that is the epitome of a ******* w***er. Especially when he has a cry about mental health
... a minute after Ziebull rubbed Bruce's face in the dirt after a tackle.
We need more players who fly the flag for teammates, not less.

I think you'd find an example every game Smith plays, he loves getting in the face of his opponents when they make a mistake, it feeds his energy and makes him the player he is, he's good enough to talk the talk and walk the walk so all the power to him.

People may call him out like Dermie but he shouldn't worry about it if he's performing the way he is.
There's no issue with commentators calling Smith out for a bit too much aggression if that's their opinion (although as Mofra says, it's probably a good thing for the Bulldogs that he is there to fly the flag). The problem is with Dermie conflating the on-field push and shove with mental health issues off it. They're not the same thing.

There's no issue with commentators calling Smith out for a bit too much aggression if that's their opinion (although as Mofra says, it's probably a good thing for the Bulldogs that he is there to fly the flag). The problem is with Dermie conflating the on-field push and shove with mental health issues off it. They're not the same thing.

He didn't need to go Ziebell that hard when they were already down by 120 points, I'd argue Ziebell was pretty low mentally at that moment, Smith wanted to rub it in. Next time he's in that situation he won't do that again and instead just celebrate the Bruce mark.

And Smith isn't the only one, Guelfi loves doing this for us, he did it to Ross when Parish tackled him late.

You’re up by 130 points ******* humiliate them and let them know about it, I love it. Baz, Naughty, Vandermeer etc all have that killer edge and It’s the difference between the side we are looking like now and the side that was supremely talented but rolled over in prelim after prelim in the past. I hope Baz Takes it to another level.

He didn't need to go Ziebell that hard when they were already down by 120 points, I'd argue Ziebell was pretty low mentally at that moment, Smith wanted to rub it in. Next time he's in that situation he won't do that again and instead just celebrate the Bruce mark.

And Smith isn't the only one, Guelfi loves doing this for us, he did it to Ross when Parish tackled him late.
I can fully see why that would rub people the wrong way, if he wasn't a Bulldogs player I'd probably hate it too. I enjoyed it on the weekend though.

I can fully see why that would rub people the wrong way, if he wasn't a Bulldogs player I'd probably hate it too. I enjoyed it on the weekend though.

Yep. It doesn't really upset me tbh, I can see why it would upset others though. Smith will be on the other end of it one day, that's footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s another example of the media crying out for players to show personality and then potting one of the few blokes who does what they ask.

I’d be disappointed if Smith changes his attitude at all in response to this, I think it’s part of what makes him a special talent.

It’s another example of the media crying out for players to show personality and then potting one of the few blokes who does what they ask.

I’d be disappointed if Smith changes his attitude at all in response to this, I think it’s part of what makes him a special talent.
He's come out in January and said we need more awareness around mental health for players. His actions are completely counterproductive to his message.

I've got no beef with adopting this behaviour, just don't pretend you feel strongly about mental health. It's lame as *.

Doggies have gone from a team that did nothing in that elimination final against gws when bontempelli was getting smashed all day , literally had he’s eyes gouged by Toby Greene to having blokes like smith Libba and josh Bruce with a bit of mongrel who will fly the flag and back up their mates and I couldn’t be more proud of them. Hope smith doesn’t change a thing .

Good on him with a high profile bringing much needed spotlight to mental health.

You’re up by 130 points ******* humiliate them and let them know about it, I love it. Baz, Naughty, Vandermeer etc all have that killer edge and It’s the difference between the side we are looking like now and the side that was supremely talented but rolled over in prelim after prelim in the past. I hope Baz Takes it to another level.

Beat them by 130 if you can, that is fine, but you still don't need to be a dick about it. It is like the smartest kid in the class running up to the kid who really struggles and doing a victory dance over his test results in the struggling kids face.

There is such a thing about being a good loser, and there is also a thing about being a good winner.

Beat them by 130 if you can, that is fine, but you still don't need to be a dick about it. It is like the smartest kid in the class running up to the kid who really struggles and doing a victory dance over his test results in the struggling kids face.

There is such a thing about being a good loser, and there is also a thing about being a good winner.
Geez it’s football mate, if you had a couple of players with the same competitive edge in 2016 you probably wouldn’t have let us run all over the top of you in the last quarter.

Rip their hearts out I say

Steps over a player and gives a bit of a shove to another after they lose marking contest, as happens numerous times every single game. What a bully, any mental health concerns must now be ignored.
That's just the two examples that Dermie gave. There's more than that. Go and rewatch the game against Blues last year, if you can put yourself through it again. He was giving it to Walsh at EVERY single opportunity. Even gave him an elbow to the back of the head at one stage. Walsh just took the hits and went about his business winning the Carlton the game.
Smith's a great player. Just needs to dial down the faux aggression a bit, and Walsh probably needs to dial it up a little.

The stepping over the player didn't seem too bad though
The stepping over seemed like a very measured and deliberate attempt at intimidation and disrespect. Not too bad at first glance, but more than meets the eye.

Id say its more or less Bailey exposed a vulnerability and the media are latching onto it. They do do this because they are trash but the media being trash is a fairly systemic issue.

Baileys best way around the systemic trash is to live a life where his actions follow his words. Once he does that the media trash wont have anything to comment on

Doggies have gone from a team that did nothing in that elimination final against gws when bontempelli was getting smashed all day , literally had he’s eyes gouged by Toby Greene to having blokes like smith Libba and josh Bruce with a bit of mongrel who will fly the flag and back up their mates and I couldn’t be more proud of them. Hope smith doesn’t change a thing .

Good on him with a high profile bringing much needed spotlight to mental health.
Flying the flag is one thing. I don't have a problem with that if you're just standing up for your teammates who might have copped a bit of attention, and that may have been the case with Ziebell (I haven't really seen the whole thing), but it's becoming a bit of a pattern for Smith and seems to be extending beyond flying the flag.

That's just the two examples that Dermie gave. There's more than that. Go and rewatch the game against Blues last year, if you can put yourself through it again. He was giving it to Walsh at EVERY single opportunity. Even gave him an elbow to the back of the head at one stage. Walsh just took the hits and went about his business winning the Carlton the game.
Smith's a great player. Just needs to dial down the faux aggression a bit, and Walsh probably needs to dial it up a little.
That's fine, and I agree. It's one of those things where you don't mind having a player on your own team doing it a bit, but not so much when it's an opposition player.

My previous point stands though that it has nothing at all to do with his mental health issues. Despite what some think he can act like a tough guy on field without having those other problems discredited.

Back