Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The stepping over seemed like a very measured and deliberate attempt at intimidation and disrespect. Not too bad at first glance, but more than meets the eye.
possibly but at least he was in the play I guess

The other incident he wasn't in the play and played not part in the mark other than coming in like a smart ass prick

Weird. Every one loved when Voss got in Scott Burns face in the grand final.

Smith is competitive. It's what makes him a gun.

He didn't need to go Ziebell that hard when they were already down by 120 points, I'd argue Ziebell was pretty low mentally at that moment, Smith wanted to rub it in. Next time he's in that situation he won't do that again and instead just celebrate the Bruce mark.

And Smith isn't the only one, Guelfi loves doing this for us, he did it to Ross when Parish tackled him late.
Hooker rubbing the hair of that young North whippersnapper.
Joey did it to Atkins too.
Sicily got into him a couple of years later.

Don't mind it and Smith doesn't need to change his tune.
It's a bit needless at 120pts up. North players probably wanted to get it finished and get home.

Beat them by 130 if you can, that is fine, but you still don't need to be a dick about it. It is like the smartest kid in the class running up to the kid who really struggles and doing a victory dance over his test results in the struggling kids face.

There is such a thing about being a good loser, and there is also a thing about being a good winner.
About 5 minutes earlier, Ziebell drove Bruce's head into the ground and gave him some choice words despite being 130 down. Apparently you aren't allowed to give it the other way and Ziebell must pass the 'good bloke' test :rolleyes:

If Bailey is going around elbowing blokes in the back of the head, or pushing their faces into the ground **cough Toby Greene** then I'll have an issue with it. Premiership teams aren't won by being nice blokes on the field and considering I've found ourselves to be too nice for years, it's refreshing to have some guys in the team playing on the edge.

Last edited:
If Bailey is going around elbowing blokes in the back of the head, or pushing their faces into the ground *cough Toby Greene8 then I'll have an issue with it.

See the previous post about Smith doing just that to Walsh, who just went about his business.

Regardless, if you want to dish it out, you need to be able to take it. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.
To date, he seems pretty happy to be sensitive about moving away from his Mummy and an over-thinker with mental health issues, but doesn't mind handing out a cheap clip to guys when his team is safely on top. Happy to be proven wrong, but early signs are disappointing.

About 5 minutes earlier, Ziebell drove Bruce's head into the ground and gave him some choice words despite being 130 down. Apparently you aren't allowed to give it the other way and Ziebell must pass the 'good bloke' test :rolleyes:

If Bailey is going around elbowing blokes in the back of the head, or pushing their faces into the ground *cough Toby Greene8 then I'll have an issue with it. Premiership teams aren't won by being nice blokes on the field and considering I've found ourselves to be too nice for years, it's refreshing to have some guys in the team playing on the edge.
This. Exactly.

Which is why I was disappointed when the Collingwood players were 'nice' to Treloar in Round 1. And guess who won (or lost) that game?

... a minute after Ziebull rubbed Bruce's face in the dirt after a tackle.
We need more players who fly the flag for teammates, not less.

EXACTLY!! So many here and on the radio are quick to point the finger and judge Smith. Yep, he’s hyper aggressive and loves confrontation, but there’s often another side to the story. Libba and Smith are always the very first to fly the flag. And as it shows, it happens regularly.

Where are same folks having a dig at Ziebull?? Ziebull’s lack of of response to Smiths actions made it pretty clear he knew he was partly to blame.

Last edited:
See the previous post about Smith doing just that to Walsh, who just went about his business.

Regardless, if you want to dish it out, you need to be able to take it. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.
To date, he seems pretty happy to be sensitive about moving away from his Mummy and an over-thinker with mental health issues, but doesn't mind handing out a cheap clip to guys when his team is safely on top. Happy to be proven wrong, but early signs are disappointing.
I don't recall anything he did to Walsh so I can't comment either way.

Since when is someone's life dictated to the two hours on the football field? Smith is more than happy to cop someone come at him on the field exactly how he dishes it up, that doesn't mean he doesn't have his own issues in his own private life away from football that he deals with. Why are the two correlated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Exactly.

Which is why I was disappointed when the Collingwood players were 'nice' to Treloar in Round 1. And guess who won (or lost) that game?
We had the same in the Port game with Raz.
Someone should have run through him. But we don't have anyone (fit) who does that.
Ideally Ambrose is back in time for the Lions game :)

For a lot of players, i imagine they view the game as less tribal and more a job.

He has never shown that he cant handle any attention given to him on field.

Having some mental health issues is completely irrelevant to this and is a tenuous and pathetic link to make.

To compare what happens on the field to someone having anxiety or mental health issues off the field is juvenile and narrow minded.

To use someone’s openness about anxiety and mental health against them is why we have such a high rate of suicide. As a society we may say to man up is to talk about mental health these days but it seems it’s also an opportunity to provide people with ammunition to use against those people (mostly cowards behind a keyboard).

Football is a war of attrition, it gets heated and some people get white line fever. As long as a person doesn’t bring personal stuff into what they say or vilify someone racially or similar then there really is no issue. Shoving someone and letting them know someone just kicked 10 on them is a non issue. It’s been part of the game at every level for 100 years.

Some players act like that some don’t, but to draw a correlation between that and your right to open up about off field issues is ridiculous, dangerous and a step backwards in getting people to open up about their issues

I'm very confused.

Everybody got upset at our team and called us soft when we didn't fly the flag for Bontempelli in the final against GWS in 2019.

We have a player showing aggression and now he needs to stop it.

Or does he need to select when he's aggressive? Like that's a ******* thing.

I don't recall anything he did to Walsh so I can't comment either way.

Since when is someone's life dictated to the two hours on the football field? Smith is more than happy to cop someone come at him on the field exactly how he dishes it up, that doesn't mean he doesn't have his own issues in his own private life away from football that he deals with. Why are the two correlated?
Shocked you even have to think about how the two are related

We had the same in the Port game with Raz.
Someone should have run through him. But we don't have anyone (fit) who does that.
Ideally Ambrose is back in time for the Lions game :)

For a lot of players, i imagine they view the game as less tribal and more a job.
Yep, and noticed that Fantasia definitely gave it back to some of your blokes on occasions.

And guess who won (and lost) that game?

I love the way Libba, Baz, Naughts, & Bruce play. They use words and a bit of push and shove but nothing more. Never eye gouged anyone or kicked & punched people in the face like a certain GWS grub has. It's just what our team needed after the 2019 final. To try and use someones openess about their own mental health struggles against them, well I wouldn't expect any better from someone like dermot brereton.

Shocked you even have to think about how the two are related
So every AFL player dealing with mental health issues now has to be Mr. Nice Guy on the football field? Maybe they should start celebrating opposition goals too so everyone can be nice and happy with each other during those two hours? Get real.

Tenuous would be an understatement linking Smith's mental health and how he acts on a football field. The two have absolutely * all to do with each other. How does Dermott know what Smith said to Ziebell? Looks to me like he's giving him s**t for getting smashed in a game of footy. What does that have to do with mental health that extends outside a football field? I'm sure Ziebell doesn't care. He probably hasn't thought about it for a second after the game ended. It's not the first, and wont be the last time someone would get into him for being beaten.

It has nothing to do with "dishes it out but can't take it". You know what Smith did last year when Cripps was getting into him? He immediately went and kicked a goal and ran back up to Cripps and gave him s**t for it. Because it's footy. He didn't wait until 3am to send a DM to Cripps calling him a failure and that he should quit.

A genuinely s**t call from Dermott. You can not like how he acts on the field all you want, but to make the link with his mental health is pathetic.

Back