Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst Smith isn't directly targeted in a Semi as much as Walsh is directly targeted in a H&A match - the pressure of the game is way, way higher. Smith used his elite running and executed under this pressure. I don't know that the individual pressure that Walsh receives is even a quarter of the perceived pressure that Smith experiences in finals.

Good on you for being reasonable here. Otherwise it’s like arguing with an actual monkey and an actual goat.

and I was accused of being a “fanboi”…. Christ any player in the league would say a crunch final is more pressure than playing on Matt de boer. But footy fans looking for a hill to die on, I guess not

Good on you for being reasonable here. Otherwise it’s like arguing with an actual monkey and an actual goat.

and I was accused of being a “fanboi”…. Christ any player in the league would say a crunch final is more pressure than playing on Matt de boer. But footy fans looking for a hill to die on, I guess not
That depends on what you are discussing, are you discussing the general mental pressure of playing in a big final? Or the actual pressure a player is recieving when they have the ball?

Which situation do you believe Bailey Smith would have a higher chance of performing well under> Being tagged every week? - or playing in final like pressure every week with no tag?

Depending on your answer what do you believe has more of an impact on a players performance> A taggers pressure? Or the overall pressure seen in finals footy which everyone recognises is at minimum more than the regular season average?

Id say in order of his games - 6, 10, 8, 6 (Averages out at about 7.5)

His first game was a non factor

Game vs Brisbane was awesome, best on ground just about and kicked a few clutch goals.

Game vs Port was statistically really good but the entire game was a landslide and as a half forward getting on the end of play when your flogging someone just doesnt really make me think wow this guys a deadset gun... but 4 goals none the less has to be rewarded.

Grand final genuinely barely noticed him and when the tide turned he did absolutely nothing to change the flow of the game.

Smith doesnt have a defensive bone in his body and while his offensive ability is really good, when the dogs all time great level midfield cant assert their dominance he goes completely missing from games. He doesnt do many things on the field that will inspire his team like going in for genuine hard ball like Selwood or Oliver have over their careers or making a run down tackle that saves a goal... he generally just gets the ball at a decent rate and bombs it long which depending on where he recieves it can be within range of him kicking for goal which hes very very good at.

There were numerous times I saw Ed Langdon absolutely torch Smith in the grand final out on the wing which led to a few goals too. Langdon isnt of the same ilk as Smith talent wise but the role he plays for the Dees clearly outshone Smiths one way running on game day.

Once Smith becomes a more accountable player I'll consider him in the 'Elite' category but right now hes too much of a liability defensively. Feel free to disagree, I still think hes a very very good talent... But not in the same realm as Bont or Petracca, Oliver, Wines etc

That's a pretty fair assessment of where his game is at.

That depends on what you are discussing, are you discussing the general mental pressure of playing in a big final? Or the actual pressure a player is recieving when they have the ball?

Which situation do you believe Bailey Smith would have a higher chance of performing well under> Being tagged every week? - or playing in final like pressure every week with no tag?

Depending on your answer what do you believe has more of an impact on a players performance> A taggers pressure? Or the overall pressure seen in finals footy which everyone recognises is at minimum more than the regular season average?
A couple of points:
1. This has gone from 'Sam Walsh once got tagged by Matt de Boer' to 'Sam Walsh gets tagged every week'?!?
2. You're REALLY still trying to argue this?!?

😮😮😮😮😮

A couple of points:
1. This has gone from 'Sam Walsh once got tagged by Matt de Boer' to 'Sam Walsh gets tagged every week'?!?
2. You're REALLY still trying to argue this?!?

😮😮😮😮😮
1. No Walsh doesnt get tagged every week, he gets tagged often but not every week. My point was that being tagged is more detrimental to a players performance than finals pressure which refers back to another posters point that Walsh faces more opposition pressure than Smith does during games.
2. Yes. After 2 years of lockdowns I enjoy arguing with people on Bigfooty rather than taking out my frustrations arguing with my family and friends about politics.

Sam Walsh by a country mile both now and for the future. The kid is an out and out star and one of the most consistent players in the comp already, with elite attributes in basically most facets of the game and all the intangibles you could want. Smith's a very good player but can't help but feel that he doesn't have the best footy iq and doesn't cope that well when the heat is well and truly dialed up to the max.

Smith had 26 touches in the asterix grand final after not being allowed to train.

A fair few games prior too

I think Carlton have actually improved without Walsh in the side. It's allowed Cripps to play his natural game without another ball winner getting in his way.

Bailey Smith seems to be able to play multiple roles that can help the side often playing the "Robin" role in the Batman films with great execution. It's a great strength of his to have multiple strings to his bow not just see ball get ball.

Therefore I believe Bailey Smith is the greater player because he is able to adapt to team needs where Walsh needs to be the main man to his sides detriment.

If Walsh comes back and Carlton goes backwards do you think they'd look at cutting their losses and trading him?

Last edited:
I think Carlton have actually improved without Walsh in the side. It's allowed Cripps to play his natural game without another ball winner getting in his way.

Bailey Smith seems to be able to play multiple roles that can help the side often playing the "Robin" role in the Batman films with great execution. It's a great strength of his to have multiple strings to his bow not just see ball get ball.

Therefore I believe Bailey Smith is the greater player because he is able to adapt to team needs where Walsh needs to be the main man to his sides detriment.

If Walsh comes back and Carlton goes backwards do you think they'd look at cutting their losses and trading him?

Youre about to get ambushed mate..

Last edited:

Also how many instagram followers does Walsh have? Even Carlton fans don't get behind him ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you had me going until the last line there!!

nice.

Trolling aside, you're right that Walsh was misused last year as the #1 mid when it would've been better for team balance to use him more on the wing/outside - emblematic of Teague's coaching. Bring on next week!

This thread could be the reverse of last season where the Bulldogs are rubbish but Bailey Smith plays well so the wheel keeps turning.

Trolling aside, you're right that Walsh was misused last year as the #1 mid when it would've been better for team balance to use him more on the wing/outside - emblematic of Teague's coaching. Bring on next week!
Walsh had an incredible year and transitioned into a star of the competition.

Teague was a rubbish coach, but I don’t think he misused Walsh in the slightest last season. He was always going to become a dominant inside leaning mid. And Cripps was injured.

It’s an interesting scenario now though. Our midfield doesn’t really need another ball winner at the stoppages, and we might opt to play him in a pure outside role to replace someone like LOB.

This thread could be the reverse of last season where the Bulldogs are rubbish but Bailey Smith plays well so the wheel keeps turning.

I don't think we'll be rubbish. The midfields too good to miss the 8 IMO. Doubt we'll be a contender though. Too many holes in the list.

Come on Dude, Joe Dirt isn't fit to tie Sam Walsh's boot laces.

He's a great runner, and a solid outside receiver. That's it.

Come on Dude, Joe Dirt isn't fit to tie Sam Walsh's boot laces.

He's a great runner, and a solid outside receiver. That's it.

Bailey Smith can do it all. Inside mid, outside mid, half forward match winner in finals. The lot.

Walsh? Inside mid that gets in the way of their star onballer.

It's not surprising to see Carltons shift in form since Walsh has been missing. There's no I in team.

Walsh had an incredible year and transitioned into a star of the competition.

Teague was a rubbish coach, but I don’t think he misused Walsh in the slightest last season. He was always going to become a dominant inside leaning mid. And Cripps was injured.

It’s an interesting scenario now though. Our midfield doesn’t really need another ball winner at the stoppages, and we might opt to play him in a pure outside role to replace someone like LOB.

Ideally more outside rotating with Cerra on the wing IMO

Sam Walsh is better but he’s not as good looking and doesn’t have a mullet whilst also playing in a mediocre side for most of his career so doesn’t get as much hype, Similar to Merrett he’s just very vanilla player both in look and play style. Bailey is just the better Marquee player.

Last edited:
Back