Opinion Bailey Williams is better than number 1 pick - Andrew Mcgrath

Remove this Banner Ad

dogsfan

All Australian
May 8, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Versitile type for a 20 year old to impact games this year in the forwardline mid and back is pretty special.

Big call. It’s very good I agree but Bob held his own in the backline with a reasonable step and in the current side Naughton has a surprisingly good step and Lynch showed a bit tonight. Hard to go past the former captain who shall not be named for a step at pace though.
Yes, the player who will remain unnamed is the most evasive Bulldog I have seen. A contest against the great Gary Ablett Jnr in round 17 of 2005 comes to mind... No, the former skipper you mentioned isn't named Wayde, although he did kick a very nice goal in that match.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Glad his awareness has improved and my query about him being one-paced is no longer present.

Bails is doing well.
His awareness was an issue, for sure.

He actually reminds me of Suckling. A very naturally gifted player who just dwells too much with ball in hand.

Strangely enough they both seemed to have ironed that out of their game at exactly the same time. The difference being Williams is at the start of his career. That said, if Williams ends his career with a résumé like Suckers, I’m sure he won’t be too disappointed.

Just to continue the comparison, I’ve noticed that Williams strikes the ball with a very pointed toe, just like Suckling. He doesn’t chop the ball like Suckers, but he does have a wonderfully clean kick. Maybe I’m a weirdo for getting excited about a beautiful kicking technique...but I really love the way both players strike it.

I don’t buy the lack of awareness thing with Williams.

This was just a very calm, composed young player who was totally spent and full of lactic getting caught.

No surprise at all that it’s happening less and less the fitter he gets.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

This was just a very calm, composed young player who was totally spent and full of lactic getting caught.

That’s fair enough. I’m certainly not having a go at the lad, he’s one of my favourite players.
If anything, it speaks volumes that he’s successfully addressed a flaw and made himself a better player.
Maybe you see it differently, but either way I think it’s positive.
One more thing...he’s a bloody sound lad.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians

Spot on fronk.
What I love in a young player is someone who will hang onto the footy and work your way through things.
Of course you will get caught now and then , I'm sure the great Hawk got caught once or twice !
The exact opposite is Jason Tutt , they don't use a deer 's head anymore in the headlights analogy .

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His awareness was an issue, for sure.
He actually reminds me of Suckling. A very naturally gifted player who just dwells too much with ball in hand.
Strangely enough they both seemed to have ironed that out of their game at exactly the same time. The difference being Williams is at the start of his career. That said, if Williams ends his career with a résumé like Suckers, I’m sure he won’t be too disappointed.
Just to continue the comparison, I’ve noticed that Williams strikes the ball with a very pointed toe, just like Suckling. He doesn’t chop the ball like Suckers, but he does have a wonderfully clean kick. Maybe I’m a weirdo for getting excited about a beautiful kicking technique...but I really love the way both players strike it.
I'm with you there, he is a fantastic kick

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Ever since BW injured his foot I've slipped into the midst of a footballing depression the likes of which I haven't felt since the Rohde years.

Today I looked at the price of Raiders tickets heaven help me. Raiders tickets!!!!

The season had been a car crash, but at least I got to see Bailey Williams improving game on game, starting to expand his offensive potential, moving up to the midfield, tackling, getting clearances like the good little complete player he will be. Then he too was taken.

Spotted in a moon boot on a Tuesday, just like that. Gone.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ever since BW injured his foot I've slipped into the midst of a footballing depression the likes of which I haven't felt since the Rohde years.

Today I looked at the price of Raiders tickets heaven help me. Raiders tickets!!!!

The season had been a car crash, but at least I got to see Bailey Williams improving game on game, starting to expand his offensive potential, moving up to the midfield, tackling, getting clearances like the good little complete player he will be. Then he too was taken.

Spotted in a moon boot on a Tuesday, just like that. Gone.

Hear hear!

I miss him too. Any news on his injury progress?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look at his body size, acceleration and skills.. surely his best position is in the midfield.

I put it this way. If you saw a kid with his package of assets leading into this draft, you would all be saying how that’s exactly what we need in the middle to complement our slower mids

Query on his tank bro. I’m not convinced he can cover the ground and still give us what we want offensively.

These guys play similar positions and roles.

Bailey is 6 months older than Mcgrath. He’s 9cm taller and a significantly better contested mark.

They average similar disposal numbers, but Bailey has a better disposal efficiency, and the real kicker, more that double the metres gained.

If you had no idea where these 2 were drafted, I’d be guessing Bailey was the number 1 pick and Mcgrath was the late round smokey.

I’m not knocking Mcgrath. He’s going to be a nice player. But Bailey Williams is going to be a star and id rather have him on the list than the former first pick in the draft.

Discuss.

Bump.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would be top 5 - 8 in the BnF? Love him off the HBF he's a natural. So glad he resigned last year when we all thought he was gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back