Opinion Bailey Williams is better than number 1 pick - Andrew Mcgrath

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath is actually one of the few likeable Bombers along with Ridley. He only had a few weeks under his belt coming back from surgery so was always going to underdone. That being said I don't see massive scope for improvement, he'll play 250 games easily but won't worry most teams in the lead up to a game.

McGrath is actually one of the few likeable Bombers along with Ridley. He only had a few weeks under his belt coming back from surgery so was always going to underdone. That being said I don't see massive scope for improvement, he'll play 250 games easily but won't worry most teams in the lead up to a game.

To me McGrath always seemed like he'd be a high floor, lower ceiling type of player like Wines.

Best sidestep in the game.
I know it's been discussed, but can we discuss it again - because his sidestep is dis-gust-ing.

I would genuinely love some technical analysis here from anyone who can share it. I do feel it was helpful for him to have benefited from the tutelage of Bob, Morris, Boyd (sorry, I do know there's more examples, time-limited ) as well as identifying his own strengths and confidence and building them to form his weapons.

Most may think I'm over-doing this, but his step, which he has demonstrated from his debut, is the most simple yet damaging version I've ever seen. We've had some amazing dancers in our time, for me, even thinking back to Harbrow.

Is he using mental prediction of the forwards tackling mentality and their current energy/desperation, mixed with total game awareness in terms of positioning and identifying next option, as well as totally disguising his own movement and even conditioning his opponents from the start of the match?

I don't mean this in a bad way, but Williams to me is a very unassuming and grounded looking/communicating individual. He has genuine quiet confidence. He puts you at disadvantage because with no pea-cocking, you just don't know what's coming, until it's over.

I just love it, and this is just my interpretation. Even PM me if you have an opinion or info on this, if you don't feel you want to voice it here. Anything is good, and I want to learn from it for myself, honestly.

Edit: How great is this Williams/Dale combo? Unbelievable chemistry on the field.

I know it's been discussed, but can we discuss it again - because his sidestep is dis-gust-ing.

I would genuinely love some technical analysis here from anyone who can share it. I do feel it was helpful for him to have benefited from the tutelage of Bob, Morris, Boyd (sorry, I do know there's more examples, time-limited ) as well as identifying his own strengths and confidence and building them to form his weapons.

Most may think I'm over-doing this, but his step, which he has demonstrated from his debut, is the most simple yet damaging version I've ever seen. We've had some amazing dancers in our time, for me, even thinking back to Harbrow.

Is he using mental prediction of the forwards tackling mentality and their current energy/desperation, mixed with total game awareness in terms of positioning and identifying next option, as well as totally disguising his own movement and even conditioning his opponents from the start of the match?

I don't mean this in a bad way, but Williams to me is a very unassuming and grounded looking/communicating individual. He has genuine quiet confidence. He puts you at disadvantage because with no pea-cocking, you just don't know what's coming, until it's over.

I just love it, and this is just my interpretation. Even PM me if you have an opinion or info on this, if you don't feel you want to voice it here. Anything is good, and I want to learn from it for myself, honestly.

Edit: How great is this Williams/Dale combo? Unbelievable chemistry on the field.

Agree with all of this, we’re so lucky to have both Williams & Dale as you mentioned but Daniel & Doc too. They are all genuinely elite at turning defence into offence, a lot is said about our defence but there’s no club that comes close to matching our small/medium group. They’re so dependable, once the balls on the ground I have no worries whatsoever about those guys sorting it out. Then they all have extremely damaging long kicks to kickstart our offence. Plus doc & Williams especially are as good as any one on one. It’s an incredible mix of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all of this, we’re so lucky to have both Williams & Dale as you mentioned but Daniel & Doc too. They are all genuinely elite at turning defence into offence, a lot is said about our defence but there’s no club that comes close to matching our small/medium group. They’re so dependable, once the balls on the ground I have no worries whatsoever about those guys sorting it out. Then they all have extremely damaging long kicks to kickstart our offence. Plus doc & Williams especially are as good as any one on one. It’s an incredible mix of players.

Both Dale and Williams are also really good at keeping their feet in the contest, been so many times that Dale has kept his feet in a tackle or Williams has shimmied past a man.

I don’t get many early opinions on players wrong and I can honestly say I was wrong about Bailey in the early stages in his career. Was slow with decision making, getting caught all the time, I really thought he was VFL quality at best!

Boy how wrong was I! Right now one of my favourite most reliable players in the backline! Strong one on one, great hands, great disposal, elite IQ decision making and one of the first selected in my team! Has been one of the most improved players I’ve ever seen from first 2 seasons to the level he is at today!

100/1 for Norm Smith. Midfield could well cancel each other out and leave it to a frolicking defender off half back to take control of the game. I backed Lakey at 100/1 and it was a thing of beauty watching the last quarter vs Freo.

Reckon this bloke explodes in the GF and I’ll be having small play on him and Bailey Dale 67/1 to take Norm home!

Salem a sniff if the unimaginable happens!

Was archiving some old SANFL U18 matches and came across an incredible performance...

Bailey Williams - SANFL U18 - Glenelg - R14 2015
56 disposals at 80% efficiency
19 contested possessions
37 uncontested possessions
9 clearances
13 marks
224 supercoach/ranking points

Was archiving some old SANFL U18 matches and came across an incredible performance...

19 contested possessions
9 clearances
13 marks

I love Bailey and hope he plays 200 games for us, but I'm still trying to get over his fumbles in the first qtr of the GF....

19 contested possessions
9 clearances
13 marks
Dalrymple has a serious eye for talent.

I love Bailey and hope he plays 200 games for us, but I'm still trying to get over his fumbles in the first qtr of the GF....
He did win a couple of 1 v 2 contests later in the game. But yeah they did hurt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back