Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was a player at that time who got delisted because he did something you couldn't really front up to work having done. It wasn't Michie.

purplerunsdeep

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Behavioural issues. Probably drug-related. I'll say no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly what I’ve heard. Freo likely knew about it and kept it under wraps, agreed to support him and move him on and wipe their hands with it.

Still think he will come good and be a bargain for Dees

Little byatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
The whole go home s**t these days is pretty frustrating. I chose to live in London and I have no feelings of wanting to go home, but even if I did, I'd find it hard to go back. AFL players chose to enter the draft knowing they have a good chance of moving interstate. Suck it up. You get paid enough to compensate and work less days a year than most people. AFL players are becoming soft in the mind/realising they can get what they want.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
AFL players are becoming soft in the mind/realising they can get what they want.
The AFL need to introduce trading without the player's consent.

It's BS that players who've played for 5 minutes are dictating where they're traded to.

Play for 6 years and then you can choose (free agent) - before that - you go where we get the best deal.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
The whole go home s**t these days is pretty frustrating. I chose to live in London and I have no feelings of wanting to go home, but even if I did, I'd find it hard to go back. AFL players chose to enter the draft knowing they have a good chance of moving interstate. Suck it up. You get paid enough to compensate and work less days a year than most people. AFL players are becoming soft in the mind/realising they can get what they want.

I have some experience/knowledge in social research. Been fairly interested in the habits of Gen-X/Gen-Y males in Western countries.

In the modern age, Males are far less likely than previous Male generations to move away from their hometowns for extended periods or indeed spend an extended time away from family.

They’re also a lot less adventurous than previous generations in career choices (stable/logical > adventurous/risky) and tend to experience a great deal more uncertainty/lack of confidence in pressure situations.

Nothing specific about Balic, just interesting how Men are evolving and how it’s reflected in things such as professional sport.

Complete contrast to say, my Grandfathers generation who jumped countries with the entire family just because a mate guaranteed him a well-paid gig for half a year.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
^^ Indeed My grandfather (bank manager) took his family all around the country for decades. These days you see dads commuting to regional areas weekdays then spending the weekend back home in Perth. Country towns all the poorer (and less populated) for it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon I could find fun in Albury-Wodonga if I was on $100,000 a year.

The hardest thing about moving interstate is not knowing many people. That becomes very easy when you're surrounded by a group of 50 young guys of a similar background, and when 10-20 of them are essentially two or three years around your age.

Overall I can't really blame the kid and won't pretend to know a thing about him. Lots of players leave and you win some and lose some. A lot of people are carrying on like he's done a Kurt Tippett.

Hopefully there will come a point when it's becoming a joke how many young players are requesting trades and the AFL just decide to enable clubs to have metro and regional zones. It would be interesting to see how they were divided up considering the huge advantage the WA and SA clubs have, but I'm sure you could give marginal areas like the ACT (though the Giants would like that...), Northern Territory, and Tassie to certain Victorian clubs. It would create a great product when you're having clubs concentrate on specific areas and putting their money into it. Some kid growing up in Ballarat knowing the only club he'll likely play for is the Western Bulldogs, in the chance he isn't drafted, he will be a Bulldogs supporter – that'll be a real coup and positive for some smaller clubs too.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Looks like Balic struggled to make mates over here, probably doesn't help that one of the players he was close too went off the rails (Yarran).

Time to move on, hopefully another Luke Ryan like gem with 66

(Log in to remove this ad.)

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Disappointing how it unfolded but s**t happens, hope he does well (but not too well) in Melbourne.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Yarren was an epic mistake. You wonder what kind of attitude he brings to a pro football club. Simpson 1 bad apple as they say. Simpson was a waste of oxygen, sylvia.
Really hope we Arnt talking about Bennell stuffing up in 12-months time.

Mincho

Senior List
Sep 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yarren was an epic mistake. You wonder what kind of attitude he brings to a pro football club. Simpson 1 bad apple as they say. Simpson was a waste of oxygen, sylvia.

Simpson wasn't a bad egg - the rest have been massive failures.

I'm concerned there might be some truth to the Yarran aspersions.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
The AFL need to introduce trading without the player's consent.

It's BS that players who've played for 5 minutes are dictating where they're traded to.

Play for 6 years and then you can choose (free agent) - before that - you go where we get the best deal.
And then a club would trade the next Jake Stringer interstate without his consent and he would lose joint custody of his two kids.
And then you would see an absolute s**t storm.
The closest we could get would be to say that players have a right to choose their state but not the club within the state.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing about Balic is that every club except Geelong had at least one chance to draft him before we did. Some of the Vic clubs had several picks: Bulldogs had 3 and the Bombers had 4.
And yet for all his talent everyone else passed. I know he had his injury. But no-one else wanted to gamble on him in the first 2 rounds.
Even now the Dees are only offering him a year.
The mistake is not that we only got #66 for him. Or that he likes Melbourne more than Perth.
The mistake is that he was a s**t pick in the first place.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
And then a club would trade the next Jake Stringer interstate without his consent and he would lose joint custody of his two kids.
And then you would see an absolute s**t storm.
The closest we could get would be to say that players have a right to choose their state but not the club within the state.
Dont play footy then. Get a job like the rest of us. And yarren was a piece of s**t. I hope he is sharing a bunk with the biggest hairy biker in there. To break into somebody's home and terrorise a woman. What the f were we doing recruiting and evil little coward for ?? Second chances?? The little *er would have been getting second chances since he was 12. To tell you the truth. I wouldn't have been that excited about my 18 year old hanging out with yarren and Bennell.
We have been playing the high risk high reward and we have been burnt.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Many alluded to that back when it surfaced but were castigated by the tribe for speaking s**t.

Many of us also said months ago that we would get two 5ths of * all for Balic and were ridiculed.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club

We dramatically overestimate the chance of success when taking on a player with issues. We need to fix that.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have no hard feelings for Balic. He was respectful and grateful of the club on departing. I think it's pretty clear there is a lot more to this than "home sickness" given Melbourne only offered a one year deal and there were a few clubs very interested because of his talent that then just walked away pretty quickly all at the same time. I think he and Melbourne have an uphill battle for him to make it as an AFL player but I really hope he does turn things around.

I expected he'd come back after his first trip back to Melbourne, smash it and we'd be getting something like a 2nd rounder for him but after he went back again and never came back the writing was on the wall that we'd be getting very little. I don't mind #66, maybe we'll find another Luke Ryan with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back