Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

We gave up a pick 38 and a heck of a lot of time and money developing the guy to get a pick 66.

That is a bad return. He has cost us dearly.

And so what if it was due to "lifestyle issues"? You have a responsibility to the club not to get involved in that. The people who do are not victims, they are perpetrators.

Clubs should be able to sue players who go down this path.

Dont play footy then. Get a job like the rest of us. And yarren was a piece of s**t. I hope he is sharing a bunk with the biggest hairy biker in there. To break into somebody's home and terrorise a woman. What the f were we doing recruiting and evil little coward for ?? Second chances?? The little ****** would have been getting second chances since he was 12. To tell you the truth. I wouldn't have been that excited about my 18 year old hanging out with yarren and Bennell.
We have been playing the high risk high reward and we have been burnt.
I'm sure in a Stringer-like situation a lot of Dads would stop playing footy.
I'm also sure that the press would go to town. The player's parents would be interviewed and criticise the club, Caroline Wilson at The Age would write all kinds of dis-approving articles.
The AFL would be obsessed by the "look" of a PR fiasco and that would be the end of trading players without consent.

To tell you the truth. I wouldn't have been that excited about my 18 year old hanging out with yarren and Bennell.
We have been playing the high risk high reward and we have been burnt.

Absolutely on Yarran. At the time we recruited him I was uneasy about bringing someone in who had such a bad criminal record. When he was at the club he didn't seem to be a bad influence (well at least from a distance). So that was OK. But if I was a parent of an 18 year old kid from interstate, on face value I wouldn't like the idea of him working with a guy like Yarran.

On Bennell. I feel a lot more comfortable. Bennell has done stupid things as opposed to bad things. And you got to remember that a lot of the reported stuff was from when he was younger and an interstate kid himself. Hopefully the "burning" from Bennell has come to an end and he plays some good footy for us.

I remember after one of the time trials, long after everyone went home he was still doing runs himself into midday in 30+ degree heat

Thought he was just committed not going through problems

Yeh, I went to the first trial back at McGillivray oval. Yarran was last by a long way and Balic was second last (again by a long way).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So reading the article he made the point that he didn't have family to share the highs and the lows with. So did the club consider moving a family member over fro an extended period to help Balic get over the Hump? I'm surprised that he(Balic) had no other focus other than AFL when the club prides itself in encouraging their players to have other interests/training/study. So what is going to change with Weller running home also after 3 yrs also when faced with the reality of at least 5 more yrs here in Perth(offered a 4 yr extension after 2018) when we have picks 2 & 5 in 2017 draft and the Victorians are right up there in the talent stakes? Our "rebuild will derail if they both want to run home at the end of 2019/20!!

So reading the article he made the point that he didn't have family to share the highs and the lows with. So did the club consider moving a family member over fro an extended period to help Balic get over the Hump? So what is going to change with Weller running home also after 3 yrs when faced with the reality of at least 5 more yrs here in Perth(offered a 4 yr extension after 2018) when we have picks 2 & 5 in 2017 draft and the Victorians are right up there in the talent stakes? Our "rebuild will derail if they both want to run home at the end of 2019/20!!

The rebuild won't derail - but it will make it harder. All we can ever do is take care of the things within our control - the environment the club creates for the players, the support they get, the direction the club is going in.

We can recruit West Aussies who will never leave, but perhaps that will mean we're a team with no true elite talent. At some point the club would have to back itself in that it can convince players to be the next Pavlich/Mundy ahead of the next Weller/Balic. You play it too safe and we'll just be West Coast - one ageing elite talent and a whole heap of vanilla.

I prefer the club takes best available - which even in the worst case scenario still leaves us with some currency for a trade - than take locals out of fear of what may not ever happen.

The rebuild won't derail - but it will make it harder. All we can ever do is take care of the things within our control - the environment the club creates for the players, the support they get, the direction the club is going in.

We can recruit West Aussies who will never leave, but perhaps that will mean we're a team with no true elite talent. At some point the club would have to back itself in that it can convince players to be the next Pavlich/Mundy ahead of the next Weller/Balic. You play it too safe and we'll just be West Coast - one ageing elite talent and a whole heap of vanilla.

I prefer the club takes best available - which even in the worst case scenario still leaves us with some currency for a trade - than take locals out of fear of what may not ever happen.
Hopefully we can draft a few more boys from SA - Waterhouse, Pavlich, Neale, Sutcliffe have all stayed longer than 3yrs.
It appears the SA Draft Pool is very good in 2018.

Hopefully we can draft a few more boys from SA - Waterhouse, Pavlich, Neale, Sutcliffe have all stayed longer than 3yrs.
It appears the SA Draft Pool is very good in 2018.

Yeah next season WA and SA have decent talent so hopefully all things being equal on talent and 'best available' we get a few local/SA kids

So reading the article he made the point that he didn't have family to share the highs and the lows with. So did the club consider moving a family member over for an extended period to help Balic get over the Hump? I'm surprised that he(Balic) had no other focus other than AFL when the club prides itself in encouraging their players to have other interests/training/study. So what is going to change with Weller running home also after 3 yrs also when faced with the reality of at least 5 more yrs here in Perth(offered a 4 yr extension after 2018) when we have picks 2 & 5 in 2017 draft and the Victorians are right up there in the talent stakes? Our "rebuild will derail if they both want to run home at the end of 2019/20!!
Not panic stations but I agree we need to review the Settling in process. Weller is a shame to lose but presented with an >$800k per year 5-year contract in the place that he grew up is a bit more complicated than go-home factor.

But better to improve this process and lose Balic and make sure everything is cherry ripe for picks 2 and 5, which are very likely to be interstate kids. Prior to Balic and Weller our retention was very good. Only losing Roberton and there were extenuating circumstances at play with a pregnant girlfriend and St Kilda fixated with getting one back after losing Dawson to us.

I still don’t think we have a problem with retention. Balic obviously lacked the life skills to find his own way without his comfort people but most players adapt more easily. The way his parents carried on he seems to have been pretty coddled.

Weller was presented with an opportunity he couldn’t say no to, especially after seeing the year his brother had being dropped out of the side. Footy is a short career.

Some people can survive without much of a support network and some can't. He did mention he had some personal issues to deal with as well.

Having to go through a long period of rehab probably isn't the ideal way to start your time at a club. While all the other new boys found their way into the group through the routine of training, Balic was doing it tough on his own.

In the end we acted in good faith in the best interests of the player. He gets to go home and play footy and we might just snag a smokey with the pick. The praise he gave to Bond and Ross isn't a bad thing and shows that we aren't campaigners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back