Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never met Harley in person - but going off the Melbourne intro video - he seems a very lost young man.

Hope he makes it at Melbourne, but can't see him surviving in the AFL system for long - Melbourne have just turned the corner with respect to standards.

I've never met Harley in person - but going off the Melbourne intro video - he seems a very lost young man.

Hope he makes it at Melbourne, but can't see him surviving in the AFL system for long - Melbourne have just turned the corner with respect to standards.

Yeah, I can’t see a side who just spat out someone who needs kids gloves like Watts be a fit for Balic.

I’m miffed that we put so much work into for nothing but good luck to him.

With sandi in the side statistically Darcy will be poorer, and he didnt even win a nom as a solo ruck this year

Balic's campaign is likely to be boosted by him playing for a Melbourne club too + in a better side

His biggest hurdle will be trying to break into their midfield, I don't see him as best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Professional sport is not for everyone with the talent to make it.

A mate told me when he came to Perth he was in a share house with Harley Bennell. I don’t know how true it is but if it’s true that’s not very smart.

Eh they are adults, Freo aren't exactly going to say nah don't live with him he is a bad influence on one of their own players are they?

He clearly had talent. I think it's easy for outsiders to judge and wonder how he can so easily walk away from a career opportunity many of us would love to have.

I had a relative a number of years ago who was a member of a premier league football academy. He was offered a contract at age 16 (the age most youngsters are cut) but he turned it down and left the game because his heart just wasn't in football. None of our family could understand how he could throw that away. But football didn't make him happy and he doesn't regret his decision at all.

Professional sport isn't for everyone and is a lot more hard and demanding then most people realise. Good on him for choosing to walk away. Hopefully he finds something that does make him happy. If you're heart isn't in something, there should be no stigma attached to deciding to leave it.

I had a relative a number of years ago who was a member of a premier league football academy. He was offered a contract at age 16 (the age most youngsters are cut) but he turned it down and left the game because his heart just wasn't in football. None of our family could understand how he could throw that away. But football didn't make him happy and he doesn't regret his decision at all.
:think: Are we related????

Sad to hear about Balic. He's clearly talented, but having to travel interstate to be injured for extended periods of time is going to play with anyone's mind. Hope he's getting the help he needs

Many think that he dropped down the draft because of his wrist injury, or that he had drug issues. Fact is that after interviewing him, recruiters could hardly wait for him to leave the room so that they could put a big red line through his name.

And before people start crying about another drafting disaster, Freo knew as much as the other teams but there was bugger-all left by the time we got to pick 38. Classic case of low risk, potential high return.

Many think that he dropped down the draft because of his wrist injury, or that he had drug issues. Fact is that after interviewing him, recruiters could hardly wait for him to leave the room so that they could put a big red line through his name.

And before people start crying about another drafting disaster, Freo knew as much as the other teams but there was bugger-all left by the time we got to pick 38. Classic case of low risk, potential high return.

At least we had the confidence to back ourselves in and try to change him. In the end at least he lasted longer with us than them, could of easily requested a trade home at the end of 2016 considering how the club looked at the time also.

Meh about Balic, but why do the reporters have to headline with ‘Former Docker...’
I mean he’s a current Melbourne player. I don’t get why it doesn’t say ‘Melbourne player...’

Just a very small annoyance where anything slightly negative is ‘Freo player...’ or ‘former Freo player...’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back