Ballarat Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed about Peace - dont know about Field - thought he was staying

Now confirmed Field has told club he wants to go back to Avoca. Still it's a long way to next footy season first bounce. Never know what may happen:D

From Saturday's Courier

Redan have appointed Brendan Peace as playing-coach for the 2009 Ballarat Football League season.
Peace returns to the club after two seasons on the North Ballarat Roosters' Victorian Football League list.
Celebrating his 23rd birthday next week, Peace is poised to become the youngest senior football coach in Redan's club history.
But Peace, who replaces Shane Snibson as coach, was not daunted about holding superiority over older, more experienced Lions.
"Coaching is more about what I can bring to the role with my experience and football knowledge," Peace said.
"We have a pretty young list and I've played a lot of footy with the older guys when I was last with Redan, so I know a lot about how they play already."
Work at the Lions' helm began yesterday for the Ballarat & Clarendon College English teacher, who has already started organising his playing list.
Training is scheduled to start in late November.
Peace said he was honoured to return to Redan, bringing valuable skills and tactical experience from the Roosters.
He hopes to emulate the positive style of North Ballarat coach and mentor Gerard FitzGerald, who encouraged Peace to try coaching.
"I'll definitely try and build a similar relationship with the players but I'll try and put my own spin on the role too," Peace said.
The Lions' dual best and fairest winner has a tough assignment ahead.
Redan is hungry for another bout of finals fever, last tasted in the club's back-to-back flags in 2006-07.
Peace said making finals was his primary aim before considering a push for the premiership.
Redan president Darryl Blomeley said the club was ``rapt'' to have Peace back in its fold.
"Brendan's a classic example of one of our players who has taken his football to the next level, then returned when he was ready to share his experience," Blomeley said. "We really promote that pathway and always welcome back our players.''

Also from Saturday Courier

Melton's 2008 coach Simon Payne has announced he will not coach the Ballarat Football League club next season.
Payne, who was clearly frustrated at times this season, just one year after being named BFL coach of the year, let the club know of his decision not to re-apply for his job on Tuesday.
He formally announced the decision to the playing group at this week's presentation dinner in Caroline Springs.
"I just thought I needed a change. It has been a frustrating year for me on and off the field," Payne said.
"The club has been good to me for 10 years, with three premierships: two as a player and one as coach.
"I plan to have some time off at this stage and look at coming back down the track, possibly at another club."
The club called for expressions of interest for all senior, reserves and under-18.5 football and netball coaching positions at the start of September.
Payne said he had considered re-applying for the position but had since decided he needed the break.
Payne said at least part of the reason for his decision was that he had a different view of where the club should go, in terms of on-field development, than other officials at the club.
"Even though we didn't have a great year in terms of wins and losses, we did give a lot of young players a go this year which I think will stand the club in good stead," Payne said.
"But I feel the club should be actively involved in recruiting good experienced players to help that development."
Payne coached the Bloods for two years, taking over from Ron Thomas. Prior to that, Payne was Thomas's assistant when Melton won the 2005 premiership.
Cross town rival Melton South has also advertised for coaches in reserves and under-18.5 football and senior, reserves and under-18.5 netball, applications closing October 24. Troy Scoble will be the Panthers' sole senior coach in 2009.

Ash Baker won Ballarats Best and Fairest last night by a small margin over Adam Sewell, Nige Otto was third I think.
Not sure of votes but they were the winners.

Good luck to big Simon Payne on whatever he chooses to do next in his life, has been a great servant to the Melton Football Club over the years. I thought he did a great job as coach in '07 but struggled to get the troops up this year.

I think it's a tough road ahead for the Bloods in 2009, wont be an easy task for his replacement

Good luck to big Simon Payne on whatever he chooses to do next in his life, has been a great servant to the Melton Football Club over the years. I thought he did a great job as coach in '07 but struggled to get the troops up this year.

I think it's a tough road ahead for the Bloods in 2009, wont be an easy task for his replacement

Robbie Waters?

Whats the go with all the Darley posters? Have they all been banned? The Chief is banned - Are Chumpy, Little Chief and Noddy still able to post?

There are a couple of articles in the Courier today...
Miller pays final price at BFL Tribunal

BY GAVIN MCGRATH
8/10/2008 4:00:00 AM
DARLEY'S post-grand final pain has been amplified by the Devils' skipper Brad Miller being rubbed out for two weeks by the Ballarat Football League tribunal at a hearing last night.Miller was given the penalty after being found guilty of a charge of engaging in rough conduct against Ballarat's Brad Anderson during the club's heart-breaking RegionalOne BFL grand final loss.
The incident that saw both players sent off for 15 minutes of the do-or-die final term.
It was followed by a general melee at three-quarter time involving players and spectators.
The joint The Courier BFL Footballer of the Year will now miss the opening two matches of the 2009 season.
And the Devils will also be without Lachlan Herring for two matches after the tribunal suspended the live-wire forward on a charge of abusive language against umpire Brian Edwards.
Miller had been reported by umpire Edwards at the end of the third quarter of last month's grand final after he grappled with Anderson, who ended up short of breath on the ground.
Edwards said Miller put both hands around Anderson's throat and threw him to the ground in a forceful manner.
Miller argued that he pushed the Ballarat player out of the way.
After viewing video evidence the tribunal said there was enough evidence to sustain the charge.
"The conduct was deemed unreasonable and unnecessary, and maybe caused the melee that followed," the tribunal said.
"(Miller) was penalised by being off the ground for 15-minutes of the grand final and that may have cost Darley some momentum in the match. I think (Miller) has been been penalised enough in regard to that (melee) so the penalty
is two matches for the incident."
Miller said he was surprised by the guilty verdict but insisted the two weeks was less of a penalty than the 15 minutes he was sent off for during the grand final itself.
"There is no doubt (the send off) was worse than two weeks. Fifteen minutes of footy in a grand final is worth more than two weeks," Miller said.
"I won't comment (on the umpire's evidence) because I don't want to get in more trouble."
The Darley champion, who has had two previous tribunal appearances, denied the incident cost the Devils the grand final.
He said the team's woeful kicking at goal and a scoreline of 10 goals 20 behinds was the main culprit.
The penalty could have been more severe if not for the skilful defence presented by Darley player advocate Randall Cape, who argued the contact was less forceful than other incidents during the match, and that Miller had grabbed
Anderson with just one hand, not two.
Earlier Herring pleaded guilty to the abusive language charge in that he called Edwards a "cheat" after the Dahlsens Swans won by five points from an Ash Baker kick after the siren.
"It hurts me that they had to pin the loss on me," Edwards said while giving evidence. "You take that sort of comment to heart."
A remorseful Herring said it was a spur of the moment thing triggered by the heartbreaking nature of the loss.
A striking charge against Darley's David Young was thrown out because the reporting umpire, who was absent from the hearing, failed to provide a statutory declaration with his written evidence.
And a charge of striking against Brad Anderson was also thrown out after the umpire viewed the evidence and admitted a case of mistaken identity.
and
Northey to stay head coach

8/10/2008 4:00:00 AM
PREMIERSHIP winning coach John Northey has re-signed with the Ballarat Football Club for 2009.Northey, who led the Swans to the 2008 BFL flag, will become head coach next year and will be joined by Shaun O'Loughlan who was appointed to the role of senior coach.
Club president Shane Manley said the club would introduce an "elite performance" squad so younger players could be blooded as they rose through the junior ranks.
"It's designed to fast track our junior players toward senior team status in one of the major country football leagues," he said.
"(Northey) will continue to have direct responsibility for the senior team and will control all aspects of their operations and will also continue to act as the mentor to the up and coming senior football coach in Shaun O'Loughlan."
Manley said he was confident O'Loughlan would make a good coach after spending time last season with two AFL clubs to develop his skills.
Northey said he was confident the Dahlsens Swans would have another good season next year.
"We are feeling reasonably good obviously after the (premiership) win we had this year," he said.
"With the players we have retained we should have another good year."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miller 2 weeks for rough contact?

Very stiff for just grabbing a bloke around the throat.

Just another fantastic end of the year from the tribunal.

yeah i can still post. not much to post on at the moment. i have seen the video of the miller incident. 2 weeks wat a joke. it was a free kick at best. an y wasnt he offered weeks after the game?

There were punches thrown, and Miller gets 2 for pushing a bloke. What a disgrace. Even Herring getting 2 weeks for telling the truth and calling the umps cheats.

Yes but would punches have been thrown if Miller hadn't of done that? I've got a feeling the league wanted to penalise him because he was the one that started the whole thing. And the league/umpires should be very thankful that Ballarat won, because they sent off Anderson who's charge then got thrown out. Played with 17 men and now they have admitted that it was wrong, could have cost the Swans the flag. That perhaps could be another reason Miller was found guilty, because had he got off it would mean that he shouldnt have been sent off also and makes the umpires look very very silly. The umpires need to be 200% sure when sending people off, especially in a Grand Final where so much is at stake, unfortunately it looks like they got it all wrong this time.

Yes but would punches have been thrown if Miller hadn't of done that? I've got a feeling the league wanted to penalise him because he was the one that started the whole thing. And the league/umpires should be very thankful that Ballarat won, because they sent off Anderson who's charge then got thrown out. Played with 17 men and now they have admitted that it was wrong, could have cost the Swans the flag. That perhaps could be another reason Miller was found guilty, because had he got off it would mean that he shouldnt have been sent off also and makes the umpires look very very silly. The umpires need to be 200% sure when sending people off, especially in a Grand Final where so much is at stake, unfortunately it looks like they got it all wrong this time.

Would not be the 1st time they have made major mistakes with send offs in a Grand Final. They panic far to easily when it gets heated.

Would not be the 1st time they have made major mistakes with send offs in a Grand Final. They panic far to easily when it gets heated.

because they (some umpires) think they are more important than what they are. Surely herring shouldnt have even been reported. a bit of common sense from the umpire to realise the disappointment the player has just suffered after losing the game. Not condoning it but where is the common sense. Plus the sledging that bloke gives when umpiring is pretty full on but cant cop it back.

The umpires didnt affect the grand final at all though. bad kicking cost the devils.

because they (some umpires) think they are more important than what they are. Surely herring shouldnt have even been reported. a bit of common sense from the umpire to realise the disappointment the player has just suffered after losing the game. Not condoning it but where is the common sense. Plus the sledging that bloke gives when umpiring is pretty full on but cant cop it back.

The umpires didnt affect the grand final at all though. bad kicking cost the devils.

Pic's in Courier dont look to good.
miller 2 hands digging into throat
Herring looks like making contact.......
http://www.thecourier.com.au/slideshowplayer.aspx?id=3788

The push for a "Goldfields League" is gaining momentum. Ballarat and Bendigo to merge to create a super league. Top 5 from each comp in 2009 to be in Div 1 in 2010.

Ballarat
Eaglehawk
Darley
Golden Sqaure
Sunbury
Gisborne
East Point
South Bendigo
Maryborough
Redan

Div 2

Marsh
Castlemaine
Kangaroo Flat
Lake Wendouree
Melton
Kyneton
Nth Ballarat
Melton South
Sebastopool
Strathfieldsaye
Sandhurst

Relegation System - 2 up and 2 down.

Home Finals system

Not as many floggings. The divide between the good and bad is now massive

Who wants to watch these games:

Gisborne - 27.28 - 190
Kyneton - 4.6 - 30

Golden Square - 25.20 - 170
Sandhurst - 2.7 - 19

or

Ballarat - 26.19 - 175
Sebas - 3.3 - 21

East Point - 31.15 - 201
Melton - 7.6 - 48

Supporters and club officials could now see their club be competitive in most matches. Most teams above would like their chances of winning a flag in either Division. Run a book on those 2 Divisions - Good luck!Struggling clubs can be in Div 2 and not get flogged week in and week out. Not need to look to "lesser" leagues to be competitive. Daylesford etc

Gisborne, Darley, Melton South, Melton and Sunbury all ex RDFL. Less travel for these teams. Bendigo V Ballarat teams could build rivilarlies over time due to the level of contests.

Maybe a little more travel for the others - but if the comp is better who cares?

The Ballarat league will get to see Fishers tatts running around again - always good for a laugh.

Ballarat to Bendigo is less than Ballarat to Sunbury and the same as Ballarat to Melton/Melton South.

Block busters!

Eaglehawk V Darley
Gisborne V Sunbury
Golden Sqaure V Ballarat
Redan V South Bendigo

All great games but who will the umps favour now?? Bendigo, Ballarat, East, West or ex RDFL????

The only people trying to hold this up are some of the league administrators as their will not be as many jobs if the 2 leagues merge. Care heaps most of them bludge anyway.

Bring the game back to the supporters - the crowds would increase significantly as the standard of games increase.

Hey chump - I know it is a lot to read but maybe you could give your opinion on this? Or does the pounding in your head start if you have to strain to think for yourself. yeah.

Some results from Redan's presentation night

Redan Football Netball Club Presentation Evening
Football, Netball & Service Awards 2008
Senior Football

Dalton Bayly Trophy for Best & Fairest
Jarrod Edwards

Senior Football Runner Up
Matt Pitt

Emerging Leader
Matt Pitt

Best First Year Player
Isaac Smith

Most Improved
Matt Miller

Goal Kicking
Paul McMahon 25 goals

Most Valuable Player
Jarrod Edwards
As voted by players

Reserves Football
Redan Football Netball Club
Reserves Best & Fairest
Matt McMahon

Runner Up
Carl Morandi

Most Improved
Anthony Kilmartin

Coaches Award
Eammon Gill

Most Consistent
Geoff Smith

Most Potential
Carl Morandi

Best In Finals
Jeromy Johnson

U/18.5 Football
Best & Fairest
Damon Aspland

Runner Up
Dean Matthews

Most Improved
Rob Clements

Most Determined
Carl Rivett

Coaches Award
Riley Noonan

Goal Kicking
Matt McKenzie
23 goals

Ok heres my round up of events. They gave Miller 2 weeks because they had to. He shouldnt have done what he did and to some it may have inexcusable but if they didnt give him 2 weeks then they would have confirmed what all Eastern Block sides already know. Next cab off the rank- Herring!!! Bloody oath he should have got 2 weeks. I am a huge fan but the bottom line is- dont open your mouth and you cant get in trouble. Doesn't matter if you just lost a grand final does it? Gee i just murdered my sister because they cancelled 90210, yeah right... keep it shut no matter how much a few of them cheat. Roger Legrand not included (what a great umpire). Next- what sort of punishment will the reporting umpire be in (in regards to Dave Youngs case) for not showing or sending in a stat dec? Will he be under any scrutiny for reporting and sending a player off for allegedly striking another player that was 70 metres away? will he be informed of the severity of his mistake? will he be suspended like a player would for not showing? will he be hung from the bottle shop at the leagues club and bashed like a piniata (as he should) for being so incompetent? I am not in any way saying that this was why the devils lost the flag but these crettins have to be made responsible for their actions when they are paid money to be professional. Players, spectators and fans at our club have been asked to justify their actions (and rightly so) on the day, so i just think it is fair that umpires be asked to do the same. Maybe some one at the board can ellaborate on the issue or perhaps just clarify my points if i have some of them wrong ( i know you read this guys so clear the air- even if it is under your alias', haha)

Oh and if i reported that an umpire told me to F off and called me a C**k sucker over the fence because i told him that the free kick count was 21 to 4 against- would there be any action taken? i never swore at him or abused him- merely said "give us a go you idiot, the free kick count is 21 to 4" and received that from a BFL umpire... Would that be investigated???

The pic of miller is not good. He has to stop attacking people from behind!

That is not the Miller incident - it was Brad Anderson and not McGregor (as shown in picture) who he was reported for offending.

Big thanks to Brad Andreson for helping Miller out at the tribunal last night - if it wasn't for his testimony he may have got off - thanks again Brad!! That one will be kepy in the memory bank.

That is not the Miller incident - it was Brad Anderson and not McGregor (as shown in picture) who he was reported for offending.

Big thanks to Brad Andreson for helping Miller out at the tribunal last night - if it wasn't for his testimony he may have got off - thanks again Brad!! That one will be kepy in the memory bank.

Sorry my mistake - so this is another incident of Miller attacking someone from behind that he did not get caught for. He is getting good at it now. Practice makes perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back