Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

I still harbour the secret ambition to make an obscene amount of money one day, with which Arden Street will be converted to a boutique 25,000 seater stadium with 'vintage inspired' grandstands and a raised, hill-type outer along McCauley Road.

No you are wrong! Ballarat did not abandon North Melbourne FC, North Melbourne FC walked away from Ballarat! The AFL support was always provisional on the redevelopment of the ground. That's it!

There was never any intention from Ballarat City Council or for the North Ballarat FC to be included as the Bulldogs VFL/Reserves team. That has never been on any agenda and the Bulldogs only ever made it clear that they wanted Ballarat as a base to expand westward. The split from North Melbourne FC began as far back as 2010 when the then 'Brumby' ALP State Government promised a $50 million redevelopment of Eureka Stadium into a 15,000 seat ground for North Melbourne to play home games on as illustrated below:

eureka_stadium_render_06__thumb4.jpg

The Brumby government did not get re-elected so the incoming Liberal Government scrapped the idea altogether and at that point North Melbourne FC lost interest and started actively courting Hobart. North cemented their relationship with Tasmania in 2012 and with that the Bulldogs stepped in announcing that they would play AFL games in Ballarat if the ground got redeveloped. The Opposition led by Daniel Andrews re-raised the prospect of redeveloping Eureka Stadium early in 2014 for the Bulldogs to commence playing in 2017 (if they were elected). Of course the ALP did get elected and the rest is history.

If North Melbourne had stuck with Ballarat and not been drawn to Hobart then it would be NMFC playing there in 2017 and yes they would likely be affiliated still with the North Ballarat Roosters.

As a post script: The North Ballarat Roosters have announced this morning that they are to continue with the VFL, that the club is not in debt but just struggling to sustain a VFL squad under their current funding and business plan. They have acknowledged where their weaknesses are and believe that they can come up with a sustainable model. If they don't then they will simply withdraw from VFL and rejoin the Ballarat Football League (which they already have a senior team with).

Yeah it's time for an AFL reserves system

I still harbour the secret ambition to make an obscene amount of money one day, with which Arden Street will be converted to a boutique 25,000 seater stadium with 'vintage inspired' grandstands and a raised, hill-type outer along McCauley Road.

I'm with you mate.

In order to donate the $400m required, I would need $4bn.

Not an impossible task, but pretty ******* close to it.

To make it truly genuine I would insist that there is a gasometer frame erected across from the ground ;)

Yeah I was thinking more about hiring Banksy to do a mural at the back of the main stand.

My idea requires the acquisition of the road at the western end, with a Kop like home end, 20,000 seats and 10,000 standing room, with a distinct away section to keep the riff raff away.

I was actually entertaining the idea of simply not letting Essendon and Collingwood supporters in at all rather than consigning them to the riff raff areas.

Also what would be wrong about the idea of erecting a massive gasometer frame around the ground and using it to hold lights and the scoreboards? Then you can build everything else in the middle.

Restricting revenue and increasing predominatly aesthetic related costs are not part of my make up mate.

No you are wrong! Ballarat did not abandon North Melbourne FC, North Melbourne FC walked away from Ballarat! The AFL support was always provisional on the redevelopment of the ground. That's it!

What you are saying is at odds with the reports in the Courier and comments from Brayshaw at the time.

The Courier said:
THE AFL has revealed the Western Bulldogs have established a new relationship with the City of Ballarat.

This comes after the City of Ballarat ended North Melbourne's long-standing sponsorship this year, upsetting Kangaroos hierarchy.

North Melbourne is seething at the move, claiming it did all the groundwork in Ballarat for six years, only to be told to make way for another club.

North Melbourne communications manager Heath O'Loughlin did not hide his frustration at the Kangaroos being forced out on social media.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/...p-with-city-of-ballarat-north-melbourne-gone/

What you are saying is at odds with the reports in the Courier and comments from Brayshaw at the time.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/...p-with-city-of-ballarat-north-melbourne-gone/

Yeah, there seems to be an effort being made to re-write the history of what went down in relation to us losing Ballarat to the Bulldogs. Don't know if it was the same poster, but not long after the GF some n00b was trying to convince us that we (North) walked away from Ballarat and the Dogs stepped into the breach. (Heroically, of course).

Basically a misinformation campaign. Wonder who's behind it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno who you are, but you certainly have an agenda.

If you are focusing so much on revenue / cash flow, why did you choose to refer to us as "the lowest supported Melbourne based team". Apart from being impossible to prove, it doesn't fit your commentary to acknowledge that we are a long way from the lowest membership in Melbourne, does it?

And memberships bring cash, no? So why conveniently ignore the fact that we are generating more membership cash that at least 3 other Melbourne teams?

Are you trying to subliminally create a groundswell of support for North to bring in pokies? Are you a Bruce Mathieson lackey?

Long winded rot.

The truth is, the club faces a monumental struggle to survive because a number of well documented historical factors. This has been slowly changing for a while now, most recently with our biggest current hurdle, the Etihad deal, about to be renegotiated since the AFL have taken ownership.

Anyone who can't see that the club is moving in the right direction and has been for sometime is kidding themselves.

The fact that you are rewriting history and suggesting that the club pulled out of Ballarat because it couldn't play in Hobart and Ballarat is at odds with.....the truth.

When we are playing 7-9 home games in Hobart each year we will rue the day we let the AFL bork us on the Ballarat front. In my view it was a perfect platform to expand our membership base and draw some good cash from otherwise low-revenue games.

When we are playing in Hobart we will always have the sword of relocation dangling over our heads

When we are playing 7-9 home games in Hobart each year we will rue the day we let the AFL bork us on the Ballarat front. In my view it was a perfect platform to expand our membership base and draw some good cash from otherwise low-revenue games.

When we are playing in Hobart we will always have the sword of relocation dangling over our heads
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

I am glad that NMFC got rid of that aspect. Although curiously the North Ballarat FC have used pokies as a significant source of their revenue since 1992 (even while NMFC were aligned with them) and yet the pokies are not paying the bills for the North Ballarat Roosters either.

Can't even pay the bills with pokies you say?

s**t, maybe playing football in Ballarat isn't the cash cow it's cracked up to be.

The Morgan Gallop poll did a poll three years ago to guage club support. By their calculations NMFC came out with an estimated national support base of 235,000. Even Saint Kilda came in at over 300,000. Those are only estimated statistics which I am quoting.

Whatever. Why did you need to point it out in a post that otherwise focused on revenue?

And no I don't support pokies. Though curiously $24 million of the Collingwood football club's 2015 revenue came from pokies. I don't morally consider pokies as a good source of income for any organisation in that they make those who can least afford it even poorer. I am glad that NMFC got rid of that aspect. Although curiously the North Ballarat FC have used pokies as a significant source of their revenue since 1992 (even while NMFC were aligned with them) and yet the pokies are not paying the bills for the North Ballarat Roosters either.

You know way too much about the Ballarat issue to be just another casual North supporting observer. What's your interest in all of this?

And do you actually support North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back