Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ravens, Storm, Dodgers
Funny Look at the Archives!

Was having a look through the archives on this board and found some very funny stuff using hindsight, some specifically involving some of our BigFooty Fantasy League members

this from Lenny_Brisco on the 23rd June 2005

who do you guys think will be this years break out player. ie a player that has a fantastic season coming from nowhere lke drew brees last year

i think kyle boller will be huge this season and lee suggs will prove to be a dominant back

haha, oh, hindsight is great, boller played 9 games for 11 TDs and 12 INTs, a passer rating of 71.8, completing 58.4% of passes

suggs meanwhile was far from a dominant back, playing only 8 games, with no starts, 8 attempts for 15 yards, no TDs, 1 first down, 6 catches for 26 yards

another funny post, we have all had a friendly dig at Mizza in the past, found this one from him on 25th March 2005, relating to a thread "who do people go for?"

St Louis Rams

Lot of people have jumped on the band wagon and have started to support the Pariots.

MARSHAL, MARSHALL, MARSHALL, FAULK

lol, loves how he accuses some people of being bandwagoners, seems to be a pattern that Mizza admires great backs and supports their team, at least our Mizz is a bit older and seems to have finally stuck with a team, but even he would admit that was funny

Mar 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ravens, Storm, Dodgers

CONS_SS

Premiership Player
NFL Board HoF NFL Draft Comp Participant NFL Mock Draft Participant Armchair Endzone Participant
Feb 2, 2006
Other Teams
DALLAS COWBOYS
Re: Funny look at the archives!

yeah for sure keep up the good work Vick :thumbsu:

Baltimore Ravens...

Just quietly... the second longest streak in the NFL at the moment is that of the Baltimore Ravens...

Losing 8 on the trot!

Who would've thought. I certainly didn't - with the near victory over New England and all. Certainly they have been ordinary this year however I didn't realise that their fortunes had fallen this low!

Time for a shake up in what is usually one of the more sound organisations in the NFL? :rolleyes:

Re: Baltimore Ravens...

and to think this is pretty much the same team that 11 months ago was a genuine SB contender :confused::confused:

I've said it once, I'll tell ya twice.. NFL = Not For Long. SB contender one year, washed up and needing an overhaul the next. Not the first team, won't be the last.. Seizing the opportunity when it's knocking... remember that game against NE, the WIN was knocking on that 3rd and long.. they called a 'mystery time out' :eek: ((WHY oh WHY??)) got a sack that didn't count... game was WON, finished, wrapped up, scanned, receipt processed but the Ravens didn't take it... go figure.. :confused:

NFL = Not For Long are these windows of opportunity open.. that's the way it is.. likewise Patriots, the dynasty is probably on it's last leg... nobody knows who will be SHOT/ shooting up in the off-season, injury, more scandal, EGO-eruption... whatever.. it's here for the taking.

I've said it once, I'll tell ya twice.. NFL = Not For Long. SB contender one year, washed up and needing an overhaul the next. Not the first team, won't be the last.. Seizing the opportunity when it's knocking... remember that game against NE, the WIN was knocking on that 3rd and long.. they called a 'mystery time out' :eek: ((WHY oh WHY??)) got a sack that didn't count... game was WON, finished, wrapped up, scanned, receipt processed but the Ravens didn't take it... go figure.. :confused:

NFL = Not For Long are these windows of opportunity open.. that's the way it is.. likewise Patriots, the dynasty is probably on it's last leg... nobody knows who will be SHOT/ shooting up in the off-season, injury, more scandal, EGO-eruption... whatever.. it's here for the taking.

true very true...that patriots just seemed to avoid that Not For Long thing over the past 7 years:cool:....and I'm going to hold you to that "last leg"comment woodson.:p Draft day will be oh so interesting this year....I wonder if BB will rocking back and forth in that chair, wearing a suit, chowing down on peanuts, while directing phone calls from 20 teams at once like last year lol.. although the pony's and your mob are always in it too.

true very true...that patriots just seemed to avoid that Not For Long thing over the past 7 years:cool:....and I'm going to hold you to that "last leg"comment woodson.:p Draft day will be oh so interesting this year....I wonder if BB will rocking back and forth in that chair, wearing a suit, chowing down on peanuts, while directing phone calls from 20 teams at once like last year lol.. although the pony's and your mob are always in it too.

I did say "probably" ;) so that's my legit get out clause. Media do it all the time. YOu will regularly find the word 'may' as the protected legal word as well when propoganda is making news.

Mar 19, 2006
nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon

It's not that surprising that the Ravens have sucked lately. The team the last number of years had a GREAT defense but shocking offense. The defense has always carried this team, once the defense got a few key injuries, like they have had this yr plus some guys getting a bit older it's easy to see why they have struggled a lot this yr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That loss surely means the end for Billick. For a former offensive coach the Ravens O has been pretty crap for most of Billick's 9 yrs in charge. Ridden on the coat tails of some great D players. Bill Cowher will be a great fit, although doubt he'd want to go in the same div as the Steelers.

CONS_SS

Premiership Player
NFL Board HoF NFL Draft Comp Participant NFL Mock Draft Participant Armchair Endzone Participant
Feb 2, 2006
Other Teams
DALLAS COWBOYS

The only problem is Billick still has 3 years on his contract which is supposedly about $5 mill a season

The only problem is Billick still has 3 years on his contract which is supposedly about $5 mill a season

Yeah probably a bit harsh on him. 13-3 last year, narrow playoff loss to Colts and improved O in the 2nd half of the season when Billick took over as O coordinator. Maybe deserved a contract extension, but once again it was the D that got them there.

Expect this franchise to re-stock in FA and get back into the running for the Division next season. Banged up secondary has burned 'em, they have the make-up still. Better QB and a few receivers and they'll be SB contenders before you know it. Just a season of aberration.

Expect this franchise to re-stock in FA and get back into the running for the Division next season. Banged up secondary has burned 'em, they have the make-up still. Better QB and a few receivers and they'll be SB contenders before you know it. Just a season of aberration.

Well McGahee obviously didn't set them alight as they expected... I think they seen him as a fix to all the problems.

I'd say (a) they need an A+ receiver to complement some of the receiving talent they 'appear' to have... (b) they need to have a hard look at the QB corps... do they give Smith an opportunity?!... how about now for the last couple of weeks!!?

secondary still has talent... a lot of injuries this year... they do however need some guys coming up behind the current group of fading stars.

one of the more interesting franchises to follow... as unlike the really bad teams while holes everywhere they still have talent and a good team on paper... however its a declining team (due to age) and they have areas of need also..

Next Man Up

I'm sure some of you already know about this but I came aross this book at the local library and decided to read it. It is called Next Man Up: A year behind the lines in today's NFL written by John Feinstein. Feinstein has written similar books on basketball and golf, but this book goes inside the Baltimore Ravens. Feinstein is given access to the Baltimore Ravens in the year 2004, and by access he is allowed inside just about every nook and cranny of the Ravens organisation and covers the year from the draft, right through to the end of the season.

For those who are interested in the goings on of a NFL club or a purely interested in the NFL, I suggest you read this very intense and well-written book.

Re: Next Man Up

what book cover are we looking at redragger??
5146F4EEGKL._AA240_.jpg
41DG42VMKJL._AA240_.jpg

Mar 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ravens, Storm, Dodgers
Ravens hire Harbaugh as new head coach

http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80614e90&template=with-video&confirm=true

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- All the time he spent in the background as an assistant paid off for John Harbaugh, who welcomed the "opportunity of a career" Saturday upon being introduced as the new head coach of the Baltimore Ravens.

Harbaugh brings 24 years of coaching experience with him, even though he has never been in charge of an offense or a defense. That only intensified the excitement he derived from becoming the third head coach in the 12-year history of the franchise.

"I'm a football coach. I've been a football coach for a long time," Harbaugh said. "I'm proud to be the football coach of the Baltimore Ravens."
Harbaugh had an unspectacular playing career as a defensive back at Miami (Ohio) before starting his coaching career as a running backs/outside linebackers coach at Western Michigan in 1984. He was an assistant at the college level with Pittsburgh, Morehead State, Cincinnati before joining the Philadelphia Eagles as special teams coach in 1998.
Harbaugh was promoted to secondary coach last season, and this month emerged among six candidates to replace Brian Billick as the leader of the Ravens.

"There are ways to prepare to be a head coach. I'm proud of the path I took," Harbaugh said. "You pay attention to detail, you do the best job you can, and good things happen."

With his wife and parents sitting in the front row of an auditorium at the team training complex, the 45-year-old Harbaugh said, "This is the opportunity of a career, and it's a dream of ours we've had for a long time. We can't wait to get started."

He didn't care that the Ravens first offered the job to Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who turned down the bid after receiving a raise from Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and a promotion to assistant head coach.

"As far as being perceived as the second choice ... that's irrelevant to me," Harbaugh said. "I never thought about it in those terms, never would. It doesn't matter. It's an opportunity to go forward. I know they looked at six great coaches here, any one of whom could have done a great job. I feel fortunate to be the one that's going to get the shot."

When he fired Billick on Dec. 31, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said the decision was the result of a "gut feeling." Choosing Harbaugh was no different.

Before becoming owner of the Ravens, Bisciotti took pride in hiring young, untested people for Aerotek, a highly successful staffing company in the aerospace and technology sectors. He used that method in choosing Harbaugh over an experienced head coach like Marty Schottenheimer.

"Do I like a guy that has to earn his resume? Yeah. I kind of made a living on hiring people with thin resumes and it's worked out pretty well for me in the last 25 years," Bisciotti said. "I think that works to John's advantage. I said three weeks ago you have to take chances to be successful. You have to be willing to do things that the masses wouldn't do, or I don't think you will be able to separate yourself from the masses.

"Is it a little bit more of a perceived chance? Yeah, but the time we spent with John Harbaugh gave me a comfort level that we hired the right guy," the owner said. "You go with your instincts, and I have pretty good instincts."

Harbaugh inherits a team that followed a 13-3 season with a 5-11 disappointment in 2007. His first task will be to assemble a staff; Bisciotti said Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who was dismissed with Billick, will be asked back if he doesn't get hired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

Ryan was one of six candidates interviewed for the job in Baltimore. Only Garrett and Harbaugh received a second interview. New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Marty's son, was among those interviewed in early January.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Saturday that Marty Schottenheimer did not wish to be a candidate for the job until Baltimore dismissed his son as an option.

Harbaugh is the product of a football family. His father, Jack, is former head coach at Western Kentucky and his brother, Jim, is head coach at Stanford and a former quarterback with the Ravens. John Harbaugh learned plenty from those two, but also gave thanks to former Eagles head coach Ray Rhodes for hiring him as special teams coach in 1998, and to current Philadelphia coach Andy Reid.

"I wouldn't be sitting here with this chance if it wasn't for Andy Reid," Harbaugh said. "He's been my mentor for nine years now."

Now, it's time to see what the student can do. Harbaugh acknowledged that some might question his credentials, but stressed that as a special teams coach he had to deal with every player on the 53-man roster, which of course is part of the job description for his new post.

"A lot of people don't realize you are handling the entire team every single day," he said. "You're dealing with offensive linemen, defensive backs, wide receivers. They're all a little bit different. You also get to deal with the young guys."

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis isn't a special teams player, and he isn't young. But establishing a rapport with the unquestioned team leader is a must for Harbaugh, and Bisciotti envisions player and coach having a strong relationship.

"I don't know where Ray is right now. He may be in Jamaica, but I guarantee you that the minute he hears this, he's going to start thinking, 'How can I help this coach be a great coach?"' Bisciotti said. "And that's a great place to start off on this team."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
I like the fact we have taken a bit of a risk instead of going for someone like Marty Schottenheimer, a young guy who can bring new ideas. Bisciotti has shown himself to be a great decision maker, along with Newsome, so i am sure this is a positive step forward for the Ravens.

Hopefully now the Falcons go for Spagnuolo and we can bring Rexy back on board as he is IMO one of the best D co-ordinators out there.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Steve McNair retires

from here.

McNair announces retirement to team; press conference scheduled
NFL.com

Doug Pensinger / Getty Images
In 13 NFL seasons, Steve McNair won a league MVP award and led the Tennessee Titans to a Super Bowl.

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair is retiring from the NFL after 13 seasons.

McNair told teammates of his decision during an emotional meeting Thursday morning before the launch of coach John Harbaugh's first minicamp. The team has called a press conference for 1 p.m. ET to formally announce the former league MVP's decision to retire.

In good company

Steve McNair is one of three quarterbacks to pass for more than 30,000 yards and rush for more than 3,500 yards. The other two quarterbacks are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Steve McNair
Years: 1995-2007 Teams:
Houston Oilers/
Tennessee Titans
Passing yards: 31,304
Rushing yards: 3,590

Steve Young
Years: 1985-1999 Teams:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Francisco 49ers
Passing yards: 33,124
Rushing yards: 4,239

Fran Tarkenton
Years: 1961-1978 Teams:
Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants
Passing yards: 47,003
Rushing yards: 3,674

» For more, go to Baltimoreravens.com The 35-year-old McNair led the Ravens to a 13-3 record in 2006, his first season in Baltimore after 11 years in Tennessee. But groin, back and shoulder injuries limited him to six games in 2007. He threw just two touchdown passes while losing seven fumbles and throwing four interceptions as the Ravens struggled to a 5-11 record.

McNair started the 2007 season with hopes of building on his first year in Baltimore, when he played in all 16 games, threw 16 touchdowns passes and led the Ravens to a 13-3 record and a berth in the playoffs.

But he hurt his groin on the second play of the season and never completely recovered. He was replaced by Kyle Boller in the opener at Cincinnati, was held out of Baltimore's second game and returned to play for three straight weeks before being slowed by a back injury.

Ravens coach Brian Billick held McNair out for two weeks before the team's bye on Oct. 28, hoping the rest would enable his ailing body to heal. But the quarterback was ineffective upon his return: He lost two fumbles and threw an interception in a 38-7 defeat at Pittsburgh, then threw for only 128 yards before being replaced in the fourth quarter of a 21-7 loss to Cincinnati.

It turned out to be his last game of the season ... and his career.

In the days leading up to that game, McNair, a four-time Pro Bowler and 2003 NFL co-MVP, reacted defiantly to criticism he had received from the media and fans.

"Look what kind career I've had. I don't let people tell me, outside this organization, I'm not capable of playing or I don't need to be playing," he said. "For what? They ain't never played the position of the quarterback. They never go through the things I go through, mentally or physically. How are you going to tell me I'm not able to play? I know what my body can do. My teammates know what my body can do, and I know what I can do on the field."

After the game against the Bengals, however, McNair conceded that he simply was not playing well.

"Right now, my turnovers have been killing this team," he said. "I don't know what the coaches are going to decide. If they decide to go with Kyle, that's fine. I'll probably agree with them."

McNair's decision to retire almost assures the Ravens will target a quarterback in next weekend's draft. The team is left with only Boller and Troy Smith on the roster.

The Ravens own the eighth overall pick this year, a spot that could position them to select Boston College's Matt Ryan. They also own the seventh pick in the second round, where second-tier quarterbacks like Louisville's Brian Brohm, Joe Flacco of Delaware and Michigan's Chad Henne could still be available.

McNair led Tennessee to the Super Bowl in 1999, where the Titans lost to the St. Louis Rams. He was named co-MVP of the league in 2003, sharing the award with Peyton Manning.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
What does Dspeed have to say about this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-feistyravens&prov=ap&type=lgns

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)—The Baltimore Ravens are doing more than merely fighting for jobs at their first mandatory minicamp under new coach John Harbaugh.
They’re fighting each other, too.
Nearly all 85 players in camp were involved in a squabble Saturday that began when offensive tackle Oniel Cousins and defensive tackle Amon Gordon threw punches after running back Allen Patrick was taken down hard on a burst up the middle. All the players surged toward the middle of the field, and it was nearly two minutes before peace was restored.
“Guys are competing, so tempers flare a little bit,” Harbaugh said.
Later during practice, which was held indoors because of rain, defensive backs Corey Ivy and Frank Walker came to blows during a blocking drill.

“Don’t grab me, man!” Ivy yelled.

After the players were separated, veteran cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle spoke with Walker, who signed as a free agent during the offseason after playing with Green Bay in 2007.
“Chill out, man,” Rolle said. “There’s too much at stake.”
For the first time in a decade, the Ravens are conducting a minicamp without Brian Billick, who was fired in January after a nine-year run. There are jobs at stake and a new offense to learn under Cam Cameron, which has fueled emotions at the three-day camp that started Friday. The players aren’t wearing pads, but there’s plenty of hitting going on—much of it after the whistle.
“Man, it’s intense out there,” tight end Todd Heap said. “Everybody’s trying to learn what’s going on and everybody’s a little bit on edge.”
In a way, that’s how Harbaugh likes it. Seeing two players fight on the practice field is nothing new, but to have the rest of the team join the fray is a sight not often seen on the football field. Yet none of the coaches immediately sought to restore peace, and defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was actually laughing as he stood in the background.
Ryan is one of the few holdovers from the Billick regime. He worked with Harbaugh years ago at the University of Cincinnati, and knows that Baltimore’s new head coach won’t let things get too crazy.
“He’s always in control. When it’s not going his way, he’ll get it going his way,” Ryan said. “That’s part of it right now. I think there are a lot of people that are anxious and uncertain. We want it to be chaos. That’s what John’s talked about. You look at the tempo of our offense, the way we’re setting things up and the different things we’re doing under Cam. It’s just new. It’s more pressure on everybody.”
Pressure is trying to rebound from a 5-11 season, which is exactly what the Ravens are attempting to do. Throw in the uncertainty of playing for a new coach, an undetermined depth chart and the fatigue that comes from practicing twice a day, and just about anything can happen.
“You go 5-11, guess what? You’d better be intense,” defensive end Trevor Pryce said. “It doesn’t matter who the coach is. You have to develop a sense of urgency at 5-11. You have to earn the right to have a calm and relaxing offseason, and you can’t do that at 5-11.”
Pryce, however, can’t condone the fighting. Not while teams like the New England Patriots and New York Giants are using their minicamps to build on successful seasons.
“Go ahead, wrestle each other, pull each other’s facemasks, yeah, great, wonderful, have fun. Now we gotta go play the Patriots. They won 18 straight football games. The Giants won the Super Bowl. Do we really have to prove we’re all men?” Pryce said. “If we can get all this out of the way now, scrapping and being undisciplined and 80 men jumping in a pile together, fine. So now we’ve proved I’m tough, you’re tough, hooray, we’re all tough. Are we a good football team? What’s more important, proving you’re tough or proving we’re a good football team? That’s how I look at it.”
Pryce said he was laughing at his teammates as they piled together in the middle of the field. It wasn’t funny to Cousins and Gordon, but afterward they seemed at peace with each other.
“At the end of the day, we’re teammates,” Cousins said.
“We settled it like men,” Gordon insisted. “No hard feelings.”
Harbaugh liked the show of emotion, but doesn’t expect to see a similar show anytime soon.
“We had a good practice. Our guys are competitive, they like football, it’s going to happen,” he said. “I think as they realize the tempo of the practice is going to stay the same, it will probably happen less and less. They’re a feisty bunch.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back