Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

For once wasn't Elam's fault

Looked to me that it was supposed to be a Cover-3 shell, which would put the blame on Weddle as he was the deep safety in the middle of the field
Fair enough. Weddle was cheating towards the other side of the field so ended up completely out of the play. Elam looked really bad on it but if he thought there was deep cover intended to take Hogan, I'll let him off this time.

Harbaugh had an end of season press conference this morning, and it was mostly disappointing to me.

One way to improve would have been to get better coordinators other than the current ones that have shown themselves to be substandard for a long time. A poster on another forum related it to that old quote "the definition of insanity is doing to same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

Or maybe improving the OL coaching given how s**t the run blocking has been by most of the OL

The team might be okay, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Harbs kept his job with another substandard year

Yep. He's basically hitched his wagon to the play-calling of Pees and Morninweg :tearsofjoy:

Harbaugh had an end of season press conference this morning, and it was mostly disappointing to me.

One way to improve would have been to get better coordinators other than the current ones that have shown themselves to be substandard for a long time. A poster on another forum related it to that old quote "the definition of insanity is doing to same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

Or maybe improving the OL coaching given how s**t the run blocking has been by most of the OL

The team might be okay, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Harbs kept his job with another substandard year

Yep. He's basically hitched his wagon to the play-calling of Pees and Morninweg :tearsofjoy:

Really disappointing. On so many occasions this season I felt like we were unprepared and out coached. Losing to the Jets and how we played Vs the Pats really stand out to me.

I thought Rick Dennison would have been a great addition at OC. Flacco had his best year with Dennison as QB coach running Kubiak's WCO.

Looks like we're in for another year of saying we want to run the football more and then not. Stupid penalties stalling drives and games with no more than one TD scored by the O. :(

Hester Picked up by Seattle... :huh:
I think we were third last in QB pressure, so pass rush is a big hole. When a QB has enough time of course our secondary will struggle.
But agree, OC is a must, but * me, thats 6 in less than 6 years if we get another one...

Big changes for us next season. Jefferson signing would be huge if it came through. Hopefully Dixon can improve his pass pro and step up in Juice's 3rd down role. OL a major concern with Centre already needing addressing on top of Wagner leaving.

Maybe. But keeping Wallace would give us 3 speed demons and some good possession TE's. Might be worth keeping but then his salary may prevent that.
I'm holding onto the slim chance we can get Pryor! haha

We are rumoured to be interested in him though...

That's disappointing about Williams but we have a good young DT behind him.
Haven't watched Arizona enough to know much about jefferson but I've only heard good things.

Good young safety.
I personally prefer to spend cap at Safety, rather than almost any other position. You need experience to play the position well. The other option is a high draft pick in a year where there is a outstanding safety available. This year there are 3 and our pick will be too late to get any of them.
This will be a great move.
Note: I played safety and am thoroughly bias!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Woodhead's work. Amazed we're picking him up.

Not sure if it's true but apparently he'll be on 2mil a year which is a lot less than we offered Juice and the transition will be seamless IMO.

This also means we don't have to pressure Dixon to step up right away...providing Woodhead stays healthy of course.

Woodhead is only a Juice replacement in being a reliable receiver out of the backfield. He certainly won't be doing any lead blocking in the run game.

And Wallace > Torrey based on exposed form since 2014. Torrey was horrible in the last year+ that he was with the Ravens and wasn't any better in SF. I'd rather stick with Wallace at this point given how he performed last season and the fact that we can't exactly afford to be losing talent from what is already a dearth of talent at the position

And as for losing Williams and Wagner, we just can't justify matching the salaries they are being offered.

Wagner will now be the highest paid RT by a fair margin (when his talent would dictate that he's only the 5-8th best RT) and Williams getting $8-10m is not worth it given his lack of production against pass in a game where teams pass more than 60% of the time and the fact that Pierce looked pretty good as a NT too

What are everyone's thoughts on resigning Williams and signing Jefferson?

All i know is that no one will be able to run the ball against us next year

Jefferson was the one FA I wanted us to sign.
It's a passing league and we will have the best run defence. Not sure we read the memo....
Anyway, means we can look at a pass rusher rounds 1, CB round 2, pass rusher round 3, RT round 3, MLB round 4, etc. No need to reach for a safety.

I like the signing of Jefferson.

I've seen some Ravens fans concerned that Weddle and Jefferson can't play together because they are both nominally Strong Safeties and the last time we did that it was a disaster because we had Matt Elam playing at FS. I'm confident that Weddle has the play reading ability to make up for him somewhat slowing down physically. I'm also fairly confident that Weddle wouldn't have been recruiting Jefferson to come and play for the Ravens unless he was confident they could play together in this scheme too.

As for BWill - its great to be able to retain an elite talent (which is what he is) but I'm not sure its wise to invest so much money in what is a position of decreasing value

I like the signing of Jefferson.

I've seen some Ravens fans concerned that Weddle and Jefferson can't play together because they are both nominally Strong Safeties and the last time we did that it was a disaster because we had Matt Elam playing at FS. I'm confident that Weddle has the play reading ability to make up for him somewhat slowing down physically. I'm also fairly confident that Weddle wouldn't have been recruiting Jefferson to come and play for the Ravens unless he was confident they could play together in this scheme too.

As for BWill - its great to be able to retain an elite talent (which is what he is) but I'm not sure its wise to invest so much money in what is a position of decreasing value

A SS can work with a SS and not utilise a FS position. This can be done IF they are both disciplined and can cover really well. Both need to have good speed. You then have either going deep on any play and the QB won't know which. It allows for a lot more disguised looks on defence and that will give our pass rushers a bit of extra time.

Teams are becoming really productive running the ball. Many averaging over 4.5 yards/carry. I could see running attacks coming back into vogue again soon.

Earlier this year I wanted us to draft a CB in the first round. There are so many great options this year but pass rusher is a greater need. We can hopefully either move up in the second round OR be lucky and have a CB we like there left for us.
There are also some good possession style receivers in this draft. I could see us drafting one late day two.
RT's can be found Day 3, as well as C. Although we might get a C during FA.

Well the Williams signing was a surprise really, after most media were going with him leaving.
So far I'm happy enough , the defense has gotten a lot better. However we still need a CB either in the first two rounds of the draft of free agency.
But the offense is still full of holes, RT, WR, C even perhaps at RB where I still don't have a lot of faith in the three we now have.

KYLE JUSZCZYK

Not sure one solid play warrants San Francisco’s huge signing of Kyle Juszczyk. To me it really sounds like John Lynch made a HUGE mistake and he might be in over his head, if his first dip in the pool is a harbinger of things to come. Being smart with your money is part of a GM’s job. So far his record isn’t that good.

—Murray G.

We’ll see. How interesting is it that another team actually offered more; I’m told $6 million a year.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/14/demarcus-ware-retire-nfl-broncos-cowboys-peter-king

Jesus Christ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back