Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

I just got a notification from the official Ravens app saying the team and Harbaugh are working on extending his coaching contract.

The main concern I have is that we will continue to have mediocre play caller as our OC in Morningweg that will really put a lid on the potential the team has with Lamar.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ravens could win out and still miss the playoffs
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 22, 2018, 8:51 AM EST

GettyImages-1083711846-e1545486658529.jpg

Getty Images

With two games left in the season, the Ravens would currently be a wild card team. Usually, a team in that situation just has to win out to make the playoffs. But that’s not the case for Baltimore.

The Ravens do not control their own destiny and actually need help to get to the playoffs. Even if they win out to finish the season 10-6, there’s a scenario in which the Ravens don’t make the playoffs.

That scenario is if they finish tied with the Texans for the final wild card berth: Although the Ravens are in good shape if the Texans win the AFC South because a 10-6 Baltimore would own a tiebreaker edge over either Indianapolis or Tennessee, Baltimore still has to worry about losing out on a wild card tiebreaker with a 10-6 Houston.

If Baltimore and Houston both finish 10-6, and either Indianapolis or Tennessee wins out, that would leave Baltimore and Houston down to the “strength of victory” tiebreaker. And so many things can change in that tiebreaker between now and the end of the season that there’s no sure way to say who would win that tiebreaker.

So if you’re a Ravens fan, you should obviously be rooting for your team to win out. And you also want the Steelers to lose a game, which would give the Ravens the AFC North title. But if the Steelers and Ravens both win out, then Ravens fans should also root for the Texans to win at least once. That’s the scenario that ensures the Ravens would make the playoffs if they win out.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ravens’ Harbaugh proclamation feels more like an invitation
Posted by Mike Florio on December 22, 2018, 9:32 AM EST

GettyImages-1029927444-e1545488865920.jpg

Getty Images

The good news came in the curious form of a Friday evening bad-news dump. Out of the blue, just before 7:00 p.m. ET, the Ravens let the world know that their coach who is under contract through 2019 is under contract through 2019 and he will remain under contract through 2019.

Through 2019.

The statement was received by most as a definitive indication that John Harbaugh ain’t going anywhere, and that anyone who already had launched a back-channel chase for his services should check themselves, lest they wreck themselves with a tampering allegation.

But the confirmation of Harbaugh’s status nevertheless can be interpreted as an invitation. To make a call. To make an offer. To give the Ravens something of significant value for the coach whose name had emerged already as the most desirable horse in the looming carousel, even though he is under contract.

Through 2019.

“John Harbaugh will continue as our head coach for the 2019 season,” the statement announces, “and he and we are working on an extension to his existing contract, which expires after the 2019 season.”

That’s not celebratory; it’s perfunctory. It’s less proclamation and more admonition to not assume that Harbaugh will be available automatically, or that he’ll be easy to obtain.

It’s also designed to end the discussion and speculation, and in turn potential distraction, arising from Harbaugh’s uncertain status. Tonight against the Chargers, next week against the Browns, and into the postseason (if they make it) it will be repeated over and over again that Harbaugh will be back. Even if, in the end, he isn’t.

So what would another team give up for a coach who is under contract for only one more year? Well, remember when the Raiders got two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and $8 million in cash for Jon Gruden? Like Harbaugh, Gruden was under contract for only one more year.

So here’s what Friday night’s statement really means: (1) Harbaugh won’t be fired, regardless of the outcome of the balance of the season; (2) Harbaugh may or may not sign an extension with the Ravens beyond 2019, the terms of which likely will be determined by the outcome of the season; and (3) call us if you’re interested in perhaps offering him better terms than we will, if you’re also willing to compensate us handsomely for the rights to a coach who is under contract.

Through 2019.

Lamar showed some really nice throws (the TD to Andrews in particular)

It's interesting when a play breaks down - it looks like the coaching staff have told him to tuck and run to avoid negative yardage because they're not confident in his ability to read and throw out of bounds.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
It's interesting when a play breaks down - it looks like the coaching staff have told him to tuck and run to avoid negative yardage because they're not confident in his ability to read and throw out of bounds.
He does still keep his eyes up looking to throw when scrambling at times, but I don't think I've ever seen him throw it OOB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
If GG.exe jumped aboard this week instead of last week he'd even more of a bandwagoner than he already is :p
I actually started jumping when we played the Raiders. But I committed to it pre-Chiefs game. It's more about philosophy, culture, identity, personality. Ravens should've probably always been my team given they are no-nonsense, D-orientated, dark colored, hard-nosed, no frills, no fuss and hoopla, not a fashion marketing brand that the Raiders have degenerated to since they first moved to LA.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
I should've adopted them at their inception once it became clear what types of orgs the two were.

I started liking them once Steve Smith was there. Anywhere my boy goes I will follow.

Never really a fan before that, the whole Ray Lewis thing makes me puke. Just as their uniform numbering does. :p

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I started liking them once Steve Smith was there. Anywhere my boy goes I will follow.

Never really a fan before that, the whole Ray Lewis thing makes me puke. Just as their uniform numbering does. :p
every franchise has their skeletons in closets, players who committed crimes, white collar thievery, scandals, etc.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
every franchise has their skeletons in closets, players who committed crimes, white collar thievery, scandals, etc.

Getting away with murder while snitching on your so called friends isn't an every day skeleton. I guess the fact he was/ still is lauded annoys me. Great player no doubt, but what extent does a franchise value wins over values? While someone like Vick who confessed to his crimes and did the time was hated by many when he returned, had black mark next to his name for a long time and still kind of does. Vick talked openly about what he did wrong, but it feels as though its almost taboo within the media for whatever reason to bring up Ray's "incident".

Anyway, that has nothing to do with the Ravens of today. As I said, always had a massive soft spot for them since Steve Smith went there.

Aug 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Arsenal
I've been a critic of Zadarius Smith, and was arguing that we shouldn't sign him up (as his contract would be overvalued), but my god he balled out tonight. Made a mess of the Chargers' O-line.

Also, drd23 I think it will hurt more signing CJ Mosley up to a mega contract, when we have 2 competent inside linebackers in Peanut and Young.

Do we have any cap hit on Flacco next season? We are going to have some $$$ to play with, which will be nice.

Back today, incredible win. D was incredible (I say it every week, but Marlon Humphrey is a stud). I was super impressed with some of Lamar's throws. And Mark Andrews is an absolute beast!

Go Ravens

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Also, drd23 I think it will hurt more signing CJ Mosley up to a mega contract, when we have 2 competent inside linebackers in Peanut and Young.
Yeah, I feel sorry for whatever team ends up paying him $10m+/year next year and hope it isn't the Ravens

Do we have any cap hit on Flacco next season?
Yep, will cost $16m in dead money to cut/trade him but will still save us $10.5m in cap space, and I think it'd be the right thing to do to allow him to try and continue his career

Aug 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Arsenal
Yeah, I feel sorry for whatever team ends up paying him $10m+/year next year and hope it isn't the Ravens

Yep, will cost $16m in dead money to cut/trade him but will still save us $10.5m in cap space, and I think it'd be the right thing to do to allow him to try and continue his career

Fingers crossed it isn't us.

Would Flacco have any trade value? Would love to get our 2nd rounder back that we traded for Lamar.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Would Flacco have any trade value? Would love to get our 2nd rounder back that we traded for Lamar.
Hard to say. I've never been the biggest fan of Flacco so I'm probably not the best judge to where he is relative to the rest of the league.

I don't think there'll be as many teams looking for transitional QBs like there were last off-season, so I don't think there would be teams fighting for the right to acquire him. That said, guys like Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor were both traded for 3rd last year, so who knows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back