Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

Will he end up passing more or is this the type of style the Ravens will stick with ?
He'll have to end up being more efficient when passing outside the numbers if he's going to be a viable long term NFL QB imo and I think he can do it. His running ability will always be a part of his game though, and it'd be stupid to try to stop him from using it

Eric Weddle to “do something nice” for teammates and coaches with $1M bonus
Posted by Josh Alper on December 30, 2018, 9:40 PM EST
GettyImages-1088247588-e1546224037689.jpg

Getty Images

Ravens safety Eric Weddle didn’t collect on a $1 million bonus in 2017 because the Ravens lost to the Bengals in Week 17 to end the season without a playoff berth, but he got another bite at the apple on Sunday.

Weddle’s contract calls for Weddle to receive the bonus if he makes the initial Pro Bowl roster and the team advances to the playoffs. The latter was in doubt late in Sunday’s game against the Browns, but linebacker C.J. Mosley picked off Baker Mayfield and the Ravens clinched the AFC North title with a 26-24 victory.

After the game, Weddle said that he’s going to spend the bonus on Mosley, the rest of the team’s players and the coaching staff.

“I’ve been thinking about it all week that if it happened, I’m going to do something nice for all my teammates and my coaches because I’m nothing without my team,” Weddle said, via ESPN.com. “As much as it’s for me and my play, my defense helped me get to where I’m at.”

Weddle and the rest of the Ravens will host the Chargers next Sunday in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. It’s not clear when Weddle will be spreading the love to his team.

John Harbaugh: This is the best team I’ve ever been associated with
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 30, 2018, 8:54 PM EST
GettyImages-1088273298-e1546221073801.jpg

Getty Images

The Ravens held on for a last-minute win today that gave them the AFC North title, and afterward coach John Harbaugh credited his team for holding together through a season that didn’t always go according to plan.

Harbaugh said after the game that the 2018 Ravens are the best group of players and coaches he has ever been around, going all the way back to when he was playing Pop Warner football.

“This is the best team I’ve ever been associated with in 34 years of coaching and even back to pee-wee,” Harbaugh said. “Look at this team, this bunch of guys. This is what a real team is. This is what a real team looks like. A bunch of guys who make a team. That’s why we’re where we’re at.”

Where the Ravens are at is the playoffs, where they will take on the Chargers next week. Harbaugh thinks his guys are playing together in a way that will make them a tough opponent for anyone.

the word is the broncos want to try to trade for John Harbaugh. Asking price apparently two 1st rounders.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/John-Harbaugh-Broncos-trade-127058347/
The Ravens front office is well-known around the league as being one of the smartest.

Unlike other teams who extend their HCs and star players BEFORE they do something of merit, the Ravens have generally always dangled the carrot in front of them -- prove you deserve it kind of thing.

It's possible the Broncos are calling us up wanting him, but we're being smart (i figure) telling John we'd like him back, like him long-term, but we're not gonna reward mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lamar Jackson will be NFL’s first 21-year-old postseason starting QB

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 1, 2019, 6:29 AM EST

GettyImages-1088483252-e1546342177761.jpg

Getty Images

On Sunday, Lamar Jackson will start at quarterback for the Ravens in a playoff game against the Chargers. On Monday, Jackson will turn 22 years old.
Jackson will be the first quarterback in NFL history to start a postseason game before turning 22. The previous youngest quarterback to start a postseason game was Bernie Kosar, who was 22 years, 40 days old when he started a playoff game for the Browns against the Dolphins on January 4, 1986.
Although many saw Jackson as a project who would need a long time to learn to be an NFL quarterback (and some, including Hall of Fame personnel man turned ESPN commentator Bill Polian, thought Jackson wasn’t an NFL quarterback at all), he has proven himself to be ready for the challenge of starting as a rookie. He still has work to do as a passer, but the Ravens’ run-first offense with Jackson running the show has given opposing defenses problems.
If Jackson can lead the Ravens to a win over the Chargers, he’ll also be the youngest quarterback to win a postseason game. That distinction currently belongs to Michael Vick, who was 22 years, 192 days old when his Falcons beat the Packers on January 4, 2003.

Well that was rough. O-line was beat up on all day, and Lamar doesn’t have the tools yet to counter what they threw at him today. I’m interested to see how he progresses next year (he made some good throws in the last few minutes, albeit against prevent D, but needs to sort of out the fumbles).

In all fairness Chargers D has some studs and they had a great game plan.

Interested to hear other’s takes?

Stage fright by Lamar
Conservative play-calling on offense too
There were small windows to wrestle the game back, early 3rd Qtr, blocked FG, blocked Punt
Shouldve been 12-7 then 14-12 but instead 12-3
Harbaugh didnt have a pulse on the game because it went to 20-3 straight after
While I'd have started Flacco at the half, if you're going to persist with Lamar we had to get more urgent with our play-calling instead of leaving it to the last 5 mins.
The reason I'd have gone Flacco was because the passing game was non-existent, negative 6 yards until the 4th Qtr, so you needed to just break up what the Chargers were doing against Lamar, they could stack the box and shoot the gaps, we had to just change that up (either Flacco or Lamar passing with 4 wide sets).
The D was lights out again.

- Lamar was not good in the first half,
- The OL was getting beat all day. I look forward to seeing what Ken McKusick has to say about how many missed blocks there were and by whom
- The Chargers D, Melvin Ingram in particular, were lights out for 3 quarters
- The coaching - particularly the inability to adjust the game plan to utilise more short passes - was diabolical
- I was probably in the minority that never thought putting Flacco in was a good idea at any time

It'll be interesting to see what Eric DeCosta does differently, if anything, regarding a number of FAs on the defensive side of the ball and what he does in FA/the draft to fix some of the obvious problems the roster has

- The OL was getting beat all day. I look forward to seeing what Ken McKusick has to say about how many missed blocks there were and by whom
- The coaching - particularly the inability to adjust the game plan to utilise more short passes - was diabolical
- I was probably in the minority that never thought putting Flacco in was a good idea at any time

It'll be interesting to see what Eric DeCosta does differently, if anything, regarding a number of FAs on the defensive side of the ball and what he does in FA/the draft to fix some of the obvious problems the roster has

Flacco would have been murdererd by that pass rush, even though I was hoping they’d put him in at the time, I’m glad they didn’t.

Who do you want us to re-sign and let go? Is it tine to move on both Weddle and Suggs? After today’s performance we need a LG, WR and maybe even a dynamic Running Back on offence imo

That basically summed up what I saw, including not throwing in Joe. If you told me Lamar would have more passing yards than Rivers I'd have predicted a win, but those turnovers were brutal (haven't re-watched them other than the last, which I'd ascribe to the OL more than anything).

Who do you want us to re-sign and let go?
I'd tender all the RFAs/ERFAs, re-sign Suggs and try re-sign at least one of Boyle or Williams on a cheap contract. I wouldn't mind re-signing Urban to a similar deal to the one he got for this year.

I would let CJ Mosley, Za'Darius Smith, John Brown and Buck Allen go
Is it tine to move on both Weddle and Suggs?
I wouldn't because I think we still need their leadership, but I'd want them (especially Suggs) to have a smaller on-field role. I'd seriously look at cutting/trading Tony Jefferson though.

After today’s performance we need a LG, WR and maybe even a dynamic Running Back on offence imo
I'd stick with Hurst and/or Bozeman at LG for next year. Yes, they got beat up today but they've been good there the last month or two after Lewis got injured.

IMO the big needs are C, WR, a pass-rushing 5-tech and a true FS to take over from Weddle (IMO Chuck Clark and De'Shon Elliot could be serviceable SSs but they aren't true centerfielders).

A more dynamic RB could be useful but I'm not sure it'd be worth spending the resources (be that FA money or draft picks) for the improvement. Gus Edwards and Ken Dixon were very effective when the OL was getting beat every play

If you told Ravens fans in Week 10 that they would knock the Steelers out of the playoffs after Lamar Jackson usurped Joe Flacco as the starter and led the team on a 6-1 run that won the NFC North and got John Harbaugh a contract extension, they would have stopped you at “knock the Steelers out of the playoffs” and called this season a success.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...ravens-offseason-exit-interview-lamar-jackson

LOL yep.

If we had to lose, I think the Chargers can give the Pats fits next week. Once the Pats are out I can sit back and enjoy the playoffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back