Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on trading Harbaugh?

I'd do it, depending on the haul, if we can keep the rest of the brains trust. Martindale as HC maybe, to avoid him moving? Having someone with the balls to go for the win on D instead of playing awful prevent defence (hey Pees!) was delightful. Keep the offensive brains trust in place to help Jackson with continuation.

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
Thoughts on trading Harbaugh?

I'd do it, depending on the haul, if we can keep the rest of the brains trust. Martindale as HC maybe, to avoid him moving? Having someone with the balls to go for the win on D instead of playing awful prevent defence (hey Pees!) was delightful. Keep the offensive brains trust in place to help Jackson with continuation.

Not for mine. Been under 0.500 once in 11 seasons.

It would've been nice to make the playoffs more recently but with the roster I'm not sure we've underachieved and its damn hard to make the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl, in the NFL.

I'd like Harbaugh to be a bit more aggressive in his offensive scheming with Mornhinweg but I think Harbaugh is a great leader in the locker room and that really is a major thing as plenty of other coaches are completely rudderless and hopeless. I think the risk of firing Harbaugh is much higher that this team falls off than keeping Harbaugh and I think it would be wasteful to not let Harbaugh have a full offseason to consider how to frame the team around Jackson.

I look around the league at the coaching carousel and I just don't see the value of change in this scenario, even if it was a trade.

I want Morningweg out. Happy for Harbaugh to stay. Play calling and Redzone calls in particular have been rubbish. Before he came to us he was Geno Smith's QB coach. We can do better.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Joe Flacco: Don’t even go there, Lamar Jackson did a great job

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2019, 5:15 PM EST

ap_19006630132426-1-e1546812931107.jpg

AP

There will be plenty of talk in the days ahead about whether Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson should have been benched in favor of Joe Flacco during today’s loss to the Chargers. But Flacco is refusing to fuel such talk.

When a reporter suggested to Flacco after the game that perhaps he should have gone in to replace Jackson, Flacco quickly shut it down and praised Jackson for his big fourth quarter, which gave the Ravens a chance at a dramatic comeback.

“You can’t even go there, man,” Flacco said. “I thought Lamar did a great job of hanging in there and giving us a chance at the end.”

That’s a classy answer from Flacco, who also acknowledged after the game that he doesn’t have much say in where he’ll end up next season, with the Ravens ready to move on from him and make Jackson their franchise quarterback. Flacco didn’t want to leave Baltimore this way, having been benched for a younger quarterback, but he’s still leaving Baltimore with his status as a good teammate and consummate professional intact.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
John Harbaugh: No one can say what tomorrow will bring, but I plan to stay in Baltimore

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2019, 4:59 PM EST

GettyImages-1090592544-e1546811940206.jpg

Getty Images

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said after his team’s postseason came to an end that he doesn’t think he coached his last game in Baltimore.

Harbaugh was asked after the loss to the Chargers whether that was his last game, and he answered, “I don’t believe so. I don’t believe so.”

But Harbaugh did leave a little bit of wiggle room, saying he doesn’t know for sure what the future might hold.

“There’s a Bible verse that basically says, ‘Make no oath.’ No one can say what tomorrow is going to bring, other than God willing,” Harbaugh said. “We’ll see what God has in store but I have every expectation, every plan to be here as long as the Ravens want me here, and I believe they want me here.”

With the Broncos and Dolphins both interested in making a run at Harbaugh, no one should be shocked if what tomorrow brings is news that Harbaugh is leaving Baltimore. Even if he’s sincere when he says his current expectation is to stay where he is.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
John Harbaugh: Jackson is QB of future, Flacco will “have a market”

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 6, 2019, 4:58 PM EST

ap_19006739132386.jpg

AP

There’s still considerable uncertainty in Baltimore for next season.

But as things stand today, their quarterback situation will look like it did today.

Via Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic, coach John Harbaugh put to bed any simmering controversy, installing Lamar Jackson as the lone quarterback of the future.

Lamar is our quarterback going forward,” Harbaugh said.

That was a popular opinion over the previous seven weeks, and the last seven minutes of Sunday’s loss to the Chargers. But before that, fans were booing and hoping Flacco might replace the rookie. Harbaugh said he considered making the change, but it’s clear he’s staking the franchise to Jackson.

He also seemed to make it clear that the intent would be to trade veteran former starter Joe Flacco.

Joe can still play,” he told reporters. “Joe’s going to have a market, a lot of teams are going to want Joe. . . . . Joe Flacco is a great talent, he’s a better person, he’s the best QB in the history of the Ravens, . . . he’s going to be just fine.”

Creating a trade market for Flacco will only benefit Harbaugh, who also addressed one of the other elephants in the room by saying he wanted to stay in Baltimore and got the impression his bosses wanted that too.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
Joe Flacco: Don’t even go there, Lamar Jackson did a great job

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2019, 5:15 PM EST

ap_19006630132426-1-e1546812931107.jpg

AP

There will be plenty of talk in the days ahead about whether Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson should have been benched in favor of Joe Flacco during today’s loss to the Chargers. But Flacco is refusing to fuel such talk.

When a reporter suggested to Flacco after the game that perhaps he should have gone in to replace Jackson, Flacco quickly shut it down and praised Jackson for his big fourth quarter, which gave the Ravens a chance at a dramatic comeback.

“You can’t even go there, man,” Flacco said. “I thought Lamar did a great job of hanging in there and giving us a chance at the end.”

That’s a classy answer from Flacco, who also acknowledged after the game that he doesn’t have much say in where he’ll end up next season, with the Ravens ready to move on from him and make Jackson their franchise quarterback. Flacco didn’t want to leave Baltimore this way, having been benched for a younger quarterback, but he’s still leaving Baltimore with his status as a good teammate and consummate professional intact.

Great answer by Joe, there will always be room on an NFL roster for someone who is a professional.

If Bradford can get 20 million on his previous contract, Joe just ensured there'll be a market for him when the current deal is up with that classy answer.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just to re-iterate my opinion of the game.....

----------------

Conservative coaching. No adjustments until the last 5 mins.

Our D and ST had shifted momentum back our way, we had a chance to go 7-12 down and then 14-12 up, but ended up 3-12 down with 8 mins left in the 3rd and Chargers a good chance to go up 20-3 which they did, and we had just one Qtr to reel that back in with the same offense that had sputtered for the first three Qtrs.

Harbaugh/Mornhinweg should've had a pulse on the game to realize that down 12-0 they had to do change things up and needed a TD. But even especially so on the drive following the blocked punt that resulted in a missed FG. Really needed to make that 12-10 and it would've been a HUGE shift in our favor...so it needed some aggressive play-calling, which they failed to do, just the usual three runs and go for a FG.

I was wanting Flacco back in simply because the passing game was dead, and you cant reel in a 3 score game running the ball, especially not today given the Chargers had figured out how to stop it -- shoot the gaps and ignore the motions and misdirections, attack the "mesh point". Which is how you slow down the Option.

But even if Flacco was not to be put in, JH/MM had to throw caution to the wind earlier (going 4 wide sets and throwing) than the last 5 mins of the 4th Qtr.

As Tony Romo was right to say....it's the playoffs and you have to leave no bullets in your gun, gotta go all out, try everything, do anything, to win. And....how it's not about one person, but the team, doing the right thing by the team and entire club of staff.

I'm not calling for people to be fired etc. Just I really dislike conservative coaching. Especially playoffs. Harbaugh ought to learn something from this. Never too old to learn.

Jackson obviously had stage fright early, and it showed with the errant passes, not seeing the open TEs across the middle, that INT a good example of that where he went to the more congested quick slant route (moore) which needed to be perfect otherwise that's exactly what would happen. He held on the ball too long in his reads, and too, MM wasn't adjusting to Bradley's defensive plan by calling more quick release pass plays.

A new OC who can develop Jackson better, some OL signings, and Jackson practicing like crazy to improve his pocket awareness and ability to RELY on throwing the ball.....course of action over the off-season.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
They all love the place.....

-------------------------------

Eric Weddle will “ride off into the sunset” if Ravens don’t want him back

“If they want to go in a different direction, I’m not going to go play for another team,” Weddle said, via Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic. “It’s not where I’m at in my career. It’s either play my last year here and that will be it and enjoy it, or this has been it. It’s pretty simple.”

===========

Terrell Suggs will play in 2019, hopes to stay with Ravens

“I would love to be a Raven for life. I’m healthy. I feel like I’ve still got some juice in the tank,” Suggs said, via the team’s website. “It’s up to them. We’ll have to see what happens. It’s a long time between here and March. Hopefully we can work it out, but if not, I’m going to be lining up for somebody next year.”

===========

Robert Griffin III: I’d love to be back as Lamar Jackson’s backup

“I’d love to be back. I feel like I have a good grasp of what this team is trying to do,” Griffin said. “I’d love to help Lamar continue to develop and also be available and ready to play. The question is, Is that going to happen? I don’t know. Are there going to be other opportunities for me around the league? I don’t know. We’ll see what happens but I’d love to be back.”

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
From an article on The Athletic
"Afforded a second look at film of the Ravens in three weeks, Chargers defenders saw that Baltimore’s offense, though complex, seemed to change little week to week. They solved parts of it and picked up clues, like left tackle Ronnie Stanley’s feet. When Stanley set them about even, it was a run, and when he set his left foot further back, it was a pass “almost 100 percent” of the time.
And when the Ravens ran out of the pistol formation, a tight end in the backfield on the same side as the tight end at the line of scrimmage almost always meant one of two running plays: “counter” or “cut belly.” On Sunday, players said it was as if Baltimore changed nothing from the first game."

That's ******* high school level s**t to be able to pick a play based on the stance of an opposition player. And the fact that the Chargers could see on film that we barely changed anything week to week makes it unsurprising that Marty & co didn't/wouldn't make any adjustments once it was clear that the Chargers were dominating us

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I would love to say that it was just a consequence of the offense having to be put together in the middle of the season and that it would be fixed in the off-season, but the pattern of many of John's coordinators not changing obvious deficiencies and John still sticking by them would say otherwise

Aug 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Arsenal
From an article on The Athletic

That's ******* high school level s**t to be able to pick a play based on the stance of an opposition player. And the fact that the Chargers could see on film that we barely changed anything week to week makes it unsurprising that Marty & co didn't/wouldn't make any adjustments once it was clear that the Chargers were dominating us

Disgraceful coaching.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ravens signed RB Tyler Ervin, OG Kofi Amichia, OT Randin Crecelius, CB Robertson Daniel, FB Christopher Ezeala, S Bennett Jackson, LB Alvin Jones and TE Nick Keizer to reserve/future contracts.

Ervin has touched the ball just 19 times since the Texans made him the No. 119 overall selection of the 2016 draft. A 2017 torn patellar tendon certainly did not help. Even in run-heavy Baltimore, he will face long odds of making the 53-man roster.

Source: Howard Balzer on Twitter

Ozzie Newsome Was the Most Important GM of His Generation
The longtime Ravens general manager retires as a trailblazer and the most impactful NFL executive of the past two decades

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/8/18173550/ozzie-newsome-baltimore-ravens-retire

“This game ball goes to a man that loves every single one of us in this room, all right?” Harbaugh said. “Who believes in every single one of us in this room. Who, ultimately, through the draft, free agency, whatever, is responsible for bringing every one of us here. For saying this is who a Raven is and this is what a Raven looks like. Former Cleveland Brown — I know how much this means to him — AFC North champion Ozzie Newsome!”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-ozzie-newsome-0106-story.html

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Eric DeCosta takes over as Ravens G.M. on Friday

Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2019, 4:23 PM EST

cd05oddlnmnhy2mwmjrlzwqzntjhm2viytq1y2vly2yzocznpwi1m2m3n2i4mtzjyzm4nmjhywm0ywvly2jlntk2ytcy-e1515173393610.jpg

AP

Friday will bring a major changing of the guard to the Ravens franchise.

Ozzie Newsome wrapped up his final season as the team’s General Manager with last Sunday’s loss to the Chargers and the team announced on Thursday that the formal transition of power to Eric DeCosta will take place on January 11.

Newsome was named the G.M. in 2002 and has worked for the franchise since they began playing in Baltimore in 1996. Newsome played for the Browns and was in their front office from 1991 until former owner Art Modell moved the team. The team’s announcement includes word that Newsome will remain in a “significant role” with the organization.

DeCosta has also worked for the Ravens since 1996 and he rebuffed several overtures from other teams looking for a G.M. over the years. Now he’ll get his chance to serve in that job without leaving Baltimore.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Greg Roman promoted to Ravens offensive coordinator

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 11, 2019, 9:15 AM EST

GettyImages-71136911-e1547216120931.jpg

Getty Images

With Lamar Jackson in and Joe Flacco on the way out, the Ravens are changing up their offense.

Greg Roman, who spent last season as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach in Baltimore, has been promoted to offensive coordinator. Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic reports that Harbaugh confirmed the move.

Where that leaves last year’s offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, is unclear. Mornhinweg has been told he can remain on the staff in another role, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him leave rather than take a demotion.

Roman should be a good fit for Jackson. Roman was previously the 49ers’ offensive coordinator (working for John Harbaugh’s brother Jim Harbaugh) during Colin Kaepernick’s best seasons. It’s easy to see Jackson having some of the same kinds of success that Kaepernick had with the 49ers.

Harbaugh has reportedly told his entire offensive staff they are welcome to stay, although it’s unclear if all of them will under a reorganized organizational chart.

Getty Images

With Lamar Jackson in and Joe Flacco on the way out, the Ravens are changing up their offense.

Greg Roman, who spent last season as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach in Baltimore, has been promoted to offensive coordinator. Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic reports that Harbaugh confirmed the move.

Where that leaves last year’s offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, is unclear. Mornhinweg has been told he can remain on the staff in another role, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him leave rather than take a demotion.

Roman should be a good fit for Jackson. Roman was previously the 49ers’ offensive coordinator (working for John Harbaugh’s brother Jim Harbaugh) during Colin Kaepernick’s best seasons. It’s easy to see Jackson having some of the same kinds of success that Kaepernick had with the 49ers.

Harbaugh has reportedly told his entire offensive staff they are welcome to stay, although it’s unclear if all of them will under a reorganized organizational chart.
Good!

Having the same success as Kap would be an amazing result.

Getty Images

Was not expecting that

The news gets better!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back