Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ex-Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome still has a role in the front office.
Newsome has ceded the general manager job to Eric DeCosta, but he is still involved in the evaluation process and even played a role in landing Earl Thomas in free agency. "He’s grinding tape," DeCosta said. "He’s really been a valuable resource for me in terms of discussing players and what do you see. I think he’s really having fun with it." One of the best GMs in NFL history, Newsome should continue to be a valuable voice for DeCosta.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 9, 2019, 2:22 AM

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Screenshot_20190412-090237.png

So who does everyone want and who does everyone think we'll take this Friday/weekend? Doesn't have to be in 1st round. We'll probably trade out anyway.

I like Winovich and Bradbury. AJ Brown or Whiteside would be good in round 2 or 3. I know nothing though.

Kind of feels good to not be so invested this year as I've done barely any research.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Who do I think we take? I have no idea.

There's a reasonably long list of players I'd be happy with, but it'd depend on where we are picking.

One thing I do hope for, is that if there is an elite prospect sitting there when we're on the clock a #22, that we don't do what we did last year and trade down instead. If a guy like Jeffery Simmons or Montez Sweat (assuming the doctors have cleared his heart condition and whatever these new character concerns are aren't actually that bad) are available, we need to pick them

interesting tidbit in the Athletic chat this morning

Michael M.
A lack of aggression in early/mid rounds as left the Ravens high and dry when it comes to receivers like JuJu. Do you foresee a more aggressive approach if there is a run on receivers in the 2nd & 3rd?

Jeff Zrebiec
I do. I wrote a bit about this yesterday in my WR story. They wanted Cooper Kupp two years ago and he was taken 5 picks before them. They wanted Washington last year and he was taken 5 picks before them. DeCosta has said that the Ravens understand better that WRs are usually drafted earlier than where they are necessarily ranked on board, because everybody is trying to develop them. So I could see them being more aggressive. I just feel like DeCosta wants to bury that narrative that Ravens can't draft and develop WRs. So if they have a guy they love in that third-round range, I can see them making sure they get him. But it's not easy to move up. They're not going to mortgage most of their draft for a 2nd/3rd round WR, nor should they.

Interesting move right before the draft. Setting up a contingency plan for if we can't pick a edge we like or trying to throw teams off the scent of us wanting to pick a pass rusher in the 1st?

Back