Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Replace CB with WR and add DL

How about we target Green from Bengals as a FA, as I don’t want another draft pick we need to wait 3 years to be good. He might like to stick it up the Bengals for not keeping him around.

Lots of OLB and DE as FA. Apart from Clowney, not many superstars.

Forgot that Pierce was a FA, so yes and interior lineman would be great. Preferably a rusher and not a run stopper.

I don’t see a great ILB or C on a FA list. These will probably need to be drafted or traded for.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
How about we target Green from Bengals as a FA, as I don’t want another draft pick we need to wait 3 years to be good. He might like to stick it up the Bengals for not keeping him around.
Assuming he passes a medical and we think we can keep him healthy, it would make sense

Lots of OLB and DE as FA. Apart from Clowney, not many superstars.
Ngakoue, assuming he doesn't get franchised, would be my #1 target

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rewatching the game:
Frequently running the most used play from common formations.
Titans targeting specific players tendencies for the few routes that they ran.
Our run defence taking poor angles and not aligned properly prior to snap.

Biggest issue appears to be self-scouting. Didn’t look at how best to prepare for our team and then add wrinkles to make that plan look silly.

We have $33M in cap space and only Judon, Pierce and Smith big names out of contract. Surely some of that money goes to a pass rusher, interior lineman or WR.

You have be a pretty selfless WR to play in the Ravens offense, good at run blocking too. Have to be willing to get your hands dirty. Not saying AJ isn't that guy but it wouldn't suit most of the league's #1's who are all about their catches.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You have be a pretty selfless WR to play in the Ravens offense, good at run blocking too. Have to be willing to get your hands dirty. Not saying AJ isn't that guy but it wouldn't suit most of the league's #1's who are all about their catches.

Teams must stack the box to stop our rushing attack....

So you will get so many 1v1 opportunities, that 1 broken tackle or missed assignment and there is no safety help. How many TD celebrations can you handle? How many each game?

Teams must stack the box to stop our rushing attack....

So you will get so many 1v1 opportunities, that 1 broken tackle or missed assignment and there is no safety help. How many TD celebrations can you handle? How many each game?

If it's that easy you dont even need to bother paying for a top WR, why would you waste your money??

Almost any decent receiver will flourish given as many one on one opportunities as you believe they have.

Decent WR mostly don’t beat good DB. Good to very good WR do.

If youve got a good enough QB they can turn decent into a top 10.

Reckon the Ravens will probably trade for someone like Robert Woods instead of offering a big contract to AJ.

Who was the last WR under Harbaugh to put up big numbers? Boldin?

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Who was the last WR under Harbaugh to put up big numbers? Boldin?
Define "big numbers". Boldin put up 921 yards in the 2012 regular season

Torrey Smith (1128 in 2013), Steve Smith (1065 in 2014) and Mike Wallace (1017 in 2016) all put up 1000 yard seasons after that.

Hell, even Kamar Aitken has a bigger season than Boldin's last if going purely by yardage

Define "big numbers". Boldin put up 921 yards in the 2012 regular season

Torrey Smith (1128 in 2013), Steve Smith (1065 in 2014) and Mike Wallace (1017 in 2016) all put up 1000 yard seasons after that.

Hell, even Kamar Aitken has a bigger season than Boldin's last if going purely by yardage

Big numbers....re top 10 in the league, I would have guessed Boldin would have been top 10 in TDs for one of his years in Baltimore?

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Big numbers....re top 10 in the league, I would have guessed Boldin would have been top 10 in TDs for one of his years in Baltimore?
TDs (on their own) are a terrible metric to judge a receiver by because of how volatile they are season to season

Anyway, the answer is no. The most TDs Anquan snagged in one season in Baltimore was 7 in 2010 - good for equal 21st that year.

He had 4 TDs in the year we won the SB, but had another 4 in the play-offs that year. I think people must think that because he was so dominant in the play-offs leading up to the SB that he was dominant during the regular season too

TDs (on their own) are a terrible metric to judge a receiver by because of how volatile they are season to season

I think people must think that because he was so dominant in the play-offs leading up to the SB that he was dominant during the regular season too

Yea probably

But then what do yards mean when the likes of Kamar Aiken have had more In a season?

It's how the team is built. Boldin played when the Ravens had prime Ray Rice and were run heavy. I remember him being a player who always stepped up when his name was called. Wasn't because of a lack of talent that he didn't put up yards.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
But then what do yards mean when the likes of Kamar Aiken have had more In a season?
That's why context matters. The year Aiken put up 900+ yards, he was basically the only guy on the team capable of catching passes as everyone else got injured. When you're force fed the ball you are more than likely going to put up bulk stats

It's how the team is built. Boldin played when the Ravens had prime Ray Rice and were run heavy. I remember him being a player who always stepped up when his name was called. Wasn't because of a lack of talent that he didn't put up yards.
Who said lack of talent was the reason?

That's why context matters. The year Aiken put up 900+ yards, he was basically the only guy on the team capable of catching passes as everyone else got injured. When you're force fed the ball you are more than likely going to put up bulk stats

Who said lack of talent was the reason?

My original point was, I couldn't see the Ravens throwing money at a WR like Green because under Harbaugh they haven't been know to pay for WRs. They'll use what they draft and go find cheaper options in free agency or trade year by year.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
My original point was, I couldn't see the Ravens throwing money at a WR like Green because under Harbaugh they haven't been know to pay for WRs. They'll use what they draft and go find cheaper options in free agency or trade year by year.
You could just as easily replace Harbaugh in that sentence with Ozzie Newsome (you know, the guy actually responsible for signing players :p)

Eric DeCosta has shown himself to be more aggressive in basically every way possible so far than Ozzie was, so its not out of the realms of possibility that he'd do something else Ozzie didn't and sign a high profile FA at an offensive skill position

You could just as easily replace Harbaugh in that sentence with Ozzie Newsome (you know, the guy actually responsible for signing players :p)

Eric DeCosta has shown himself to be more aggressive in basically every way possible so far than Ozzie was, so its not out of the realms of possibility that he'd do something else Ozzie didn't and sign a high profile FA at an offensive skill position

What has done to be "more agressive" so far? Trade for Peters?

Hold the phone, team in position to contend for superbowl makes trade near the deadline... 😮

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What has done to be "more agressive" so far? Trade for Peters?

Hold the phone, team in position to contend for superbowl makes trade near the deadline... 😮
Aggressive in comparison to Ozzie

-He was the one that pushed to trade up for Lamar
-Signing a big name FA in Earl Thomas (Ozzie tended to just sign middle tier FAs)
-He's actually signed pending free agents instead of letting them all test free agency

Aggressive in comparison to Ozzie

-He was the one that pushed to trade up for Lamar
-Signing a big name FA in Earl Thomas (Ozzie tended to just sign middle tier FAs)
-He's actually signed pending free agents instead of letting them all test free agency

I would expect a GM with his starting QB under a rookie contract to be far more able to spend freely in free agency....Earl basically replaced the salary of Mosely and Weddle who were let walk.

I didn't know he was heavily involved in Ozzie's final draft so there you go, Ive learnt something new.

Ironic if Perriman ends up back here in 2020, he showed good at the Bucs, finally a stud

Note to self: Open the bidding heavily on Perriman in Empire FA then drop him on GGs arse like I did Kenny Young last year.

😉

Back