Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we could have afforded the $13m per year, let alone the little bit more you'd have to pay to entice a WR to play in the offense as it is currently constructed. I do agree that the Jets got a relatively good deal.

That said, I'm happy TY chose more money for 1 year from the Colts over 3 years at less money from us - he isn't what the offense is missing

In hindsight we should have been more aggressive going after Corey Davis who looks like great value for the Jets.

This situation is getting embarrassing, I'd rather trade for someone or just head to the draft than be seen clamouring over the FA WR dregs.

The Davis deal is good but I don’t think he would have come here for that little.

Watkins still in the market and TY signed in Indy, so that is one less destination.

There are some good but ageing OLBs that are probably going cheap by now.

[
In hindsight we should have been more aggressive going after Corey Davis who looks like great value for the Jets.

This situation is getting embarrassing, I'd rather trade for someone or just head to the draft than be seen clamouring over the FA WR dregs.

When youd rather a 1 year deal with Wentz in an offense that looks to be phasing you out than a 3 year deal with a offense you'd presumably feature in it's absolutely becoming :$

Got to be a little concerning premium or former premium WRs dont want to play for the Ravens — that run heavy offense, and/or Jackson's lack of passing chops.

I don't buy into the "lack of passing chops" argument. Lamar has one of if not the worst WR rooms in the league. He's thrown more TDs and had a better completion % and QBR than Josh Allen the past two seasons and the media and fans are currently gushing over Josh like no tomorrow.

Why would the Ravens pass more when their WRs are so BOG average? Why would the Ravens pass more when their run game is so good. Get better WRs and I'm sure we'd throw more. It's a circular problem.

There's no doubt that there is a perception around the league and with NFL fans as a whole that Lamar cannot pass. Comments made Steve Smith, Dez and current Ravens regarding our scheme problems definitely don't help the issue.

I strongly suspect Davis will crater as well, so getting him in wouldn't really encourage me.

He played well as a second option in a specific style and really only had a decent year in a contract year. All massive red flags for a top of the market FA acquisition.

I strongly suspect Davis will crater as well, so getting him in wouldn't really encourage me.

He played well as a second option in a specific style and really only had a decent year in a contract year. All massive red flags for a top of the market FA acquisition.

Juju was the one I think would actually have produced at a new team out of all the FA receivers.

Watkins appears to be running out of options, so perhaps his cost won’t be high at all.

Juju was the one I think would actually have produced at a new team out of all the FA receivers.

Watkins appears to be running out of options, so perhaps his cost won’t be high at all.
$6m on Watkins I read. We swung and missed at TY too.

As was pointed out by a poster at Football's Future, we actually gave Willie Snead a similar contract in late 2019 for the 2020 season. When you look at the Watkins deal like that, it really illuminates how small an investment it really is.

What is clear is that EDC stuck to what he said about putting a price on every player and not going over it, because neither the contract offered to JuJu or TY was over market value (and in the case of TY was actually a fair bit less money per year than what he took from Indy), and despite what he and Harbs said, I think you would need to convince WRs to play in the offense as it is currently constructed

Last edited:
So what are we thinking we are going to do about OLB? We've got browser back but who is going to play opposite?

Do we kick the tyres on Clowney again? Is Ingram too injury prone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what are we thinking we are going to do about OLB? We've got browser back but who is going to play opposite?

Who's available late in the first round? :/

Ferguson. Although I would like us to take two fast twitch guys in the first two rounds. WR not required early now.

Then DT. After that FS, TE, OT & OG are the holes. basically whoever is highest on the board from those positions.

IF we trade O Brown, I would still use that pick on a fast twitch edge guy. Then get a RT in the second round.

Oweh and Collins probably the other two options (apart from Phillips & Olujari).
I do worry about Phillips health issues and that is the only reason he will fall to late first round.

I am all aboard the Olujari train (which probably means Shittsburg will take him before us).

There doesn't appear to be a consensus on what order the pass rushers should be ranked

Danny posted a reasonable breakdown of the top pass rushers in the draft discussion thread
After watching the DE,DL,EDGE's etc the last few days this is not a great class. Plenty of good players or project players but none that tick all the boxes.
From the guys I watched they all had issues which made them hard to select early.

Jaelan Phillips - #1 HS recruit in 2017. Knows what he's doing, has enough moves to win multiple ways, athletic and good size, ready to impact straight away.
BUT- Has one of the worst injury histories and won't be on some teams boards because of it. Medically retired due to concussion issues before transferring to Miami this offseason and playing the season. before that had ankle surgery and surgery on both wrists.

Kwity Paye- Freak athlete, very strong hands and good technique, lined up everywhere on the line, good against the run
BUT- Only 10.5 sacks in ALOT of playing time over his career at Michigan, is pretty stiff won't see him bending around the corner to get back to the QB.

Gregory Rousseau- Really quick first step, Great athletic profile, Production in his 1 year was huge, can't run past him on the edge, plenty of growth as he's only started playing DE (was safety and wr in HS), moved all over the front.
BUT- Lack of experience, Basically only won with an outside step doesn't really have another move.

Carlos Basham- Strong power game, good 2019 production and tape, great bull rush and has some other moves
BUT- 2020 wasn't very impressive tape, gambles on run plays and doesn't occupy his designation, stiff

Azeez Ojulari- Explosive off the edge, runs right by alot of the tackles he played, good bend, doesnt get pushed off balance when using his speed, doesn't give up on a rush.
BUT- only one move, maybe too small/not strong enough to play on the edge, not great dropping into coverage for a quicker guy

Others
Joe Tryon- Didn't really get the first round hype he looked fine
Ronnie Perkins- Will be great value, strong physical dude, will be productive player in the right scheme
Jayson Oweh- Great athlete but 0 sacks, not even close either
Rashard Weaver- Meh
Odeyingbo- Massive DE, good film but did ACL otherwise would've been way higher
Quincy Roche- Consistently productive! not the best athlete but great technician

The list goes on and on of guys with some really impressive traits and parts of their game but with some glaring issues. Personally I would lean towards taking the punt on Rousseau to develop some moves and learn the position and maybe be a great player in year 3-4. if Phillips didn't have the injuries i'd say he'd be the best ready to go prospect.

I am all aboard the Olujari train (which probably means Shittsburg will take him before us).
Given how little Ngakoue was used, I'm not sure Ojulari is what we're looking for

Phillips (health issues), Rousseau (1 year wonder), Perkins (character questions), Ossai (instincts), Weaver (athleticism) & Tryon (technique, consistency) are probably more in the desired mould but all have their issues. Quincy Roche seems like a very Ravens-y sort of EDGE, but he's more of a 3rd round prospect

Last edited:
Given where our holes are in our squad I'm confident filling those positions in the later round.

Regardless of signing Watkins and Zietler, I think WR or OL should be the position we target in the first round.

Sammy Watkins averaged 15.28 PPR points per game in two seasons with the Bills under offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who is now Baltimore's offensive coordinator.

Watkins on Friday signed with Baltimore on a one-year deal worth $5 million. He'll once again work with Roman, who was Buffalo's offensive coordinator in 2015 and 2016. That Bills offense was similarly run heavy: Watkins led the team with a meager 96 targets in 2015. He made the most of the limited opportunity, notching nine touchdowns and scoring the eighth most fantasy points per game among wideouts. Watkins over his 21 games in Roman's offense averaged 7.1 targets per game, which works out to 112 targets over a 16-game season. Watkins replicating these numbers five years later -- he's still somehow only 27 -- seems unlikely, but his history and understanding of Roman's system could play an outsized factor in his role with the Ravens. If ESPN's Jamison Hensley is correct in projecting Watkins as a reliable underneath option for Lamar Jackson, he's not going to see the high-value, downfield targets he saw in Buffalo, where he averaged 17.5 yards per catch. More recently, Watkins averaged 11.4 yards per reception in Kansas City.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
Mar 27, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

Ravens head coach Jim Haurbaugh said the team would "try and get" wide receivers in the 2021 NFL Draft.
The draft is the team's last chance to bolster its receiver group after largely striking out in free agency, coming away with an unreliable Sammy Watkins. Baltimore has the 27th pick in the draft. "We'll find certain wide receivers in the draft that fit us. We know who they are," Harbaugh said in a Monday presser. "We've had the meetings. And we'll try and get them." Ravens director of player personnel Joe Horitz on Monday named LSU's Terrace Marshall and Minnesota's Rashod Bateman as two wideouts the team might prioritize in the draft. "Both talented guys who have some versatility. A little different in what they do best, but certainly two guys who we have our eye on," Horitz said. For fantasy purposes, landing in Baltimore's run-first offense wouldn't be ideal for Bateman or Marshall, though both have potential to emerge as the Ravens' No. 1 receiver. NBC Sports Edge's John Daigle projects Bateman going to Green Bay with the 29th pick.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Apr 19, 2021, 12:00 PM ET

Not sure how I feel really about the Zeus trade.

My main thought when reading all the details was that it sucks we had to deal with the Chiefs of all teams.

2 picks in the 1st definitely gives us some flexibility in our options. It will be interesting what our approach will be on the day. Will we go BPA, trade back? Trading up seems really unlikely with our history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back