Bancroft given a 0 match suspension for blatant ball tampering - LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith should lose captaincy, be recalled, have his CA contract cancelled and banned from representing Australia again, Bancroft suspended.

It's one thing to cheat it's another thing to get caught and entirely separate thing to do it so badly that there is no way they couldn't catch you.
The bright yellow thing was probably a bad choice over the transparent sticky tape.

I agree that he should receive a one-match ban.

Problem is that a ban for ball tampering is quite a feat under current ICC guidelines, even under these circumstances.

Very cheerful, friend. It's a great day for me, a bunch of flogs being exposed for being flogs is always fun.

And thank you for admitting you don't really understand Godwin's Law - it very much does have a point, as asserted by Godwin himself. Seeing as it is not actually a 'truism' or a law at all, what would be the point of referring to it if it had no point?

Like Steve Smith I give you credit for owning up to it though, and I am happy to have helped you.
thinkchildren.jpg

Smith should lose captaincy, be recalled, have his CA contract cancelled and banned from representing Australia again, Bancroft suspended.

It's one thing to cheat it's another thing to get caught and entirely separate thing to do it so badly that there is no way they couldn't catch you.

I would agree with Smith being sacked as captain except for:-

(a) who would replace him? David Warner? He made a fool of himself with that fight in the dressing rooms. Hardly a role model to captain Australia.

(b) Apparently, the leadership group all knew about it, so if they were all involved, and no-one spoke out, then they are all guilty too. Meaning that none of the leadership group is fit to be captain either.

I agree with you, Steve Smith should be punished by losing the captaincy. Problem is, they is no glaring obvious replacement, and we have a leadership vacuum in the Australian cricket team, which I fear will save Steve Smith.

I would agree with Smith being sacked as captain except for:-

(a) who would replace him? David Warner? He made a fool of himself with that fight in the dressing rooms. Hardly a role model to captain Australia.

(b) Apparently, the leadership group all knew about it, so if they were all involved, and no-one spoke out, then they are all guilty too. Meaning that none of the leadership group is fit to be captain either.

I agree with you, Steve Smith should be punished by losing the captaincy. Problem is, they is no glaring obvious replacement, and we have a leadership vacuum in the Australian cricket team, which I fear will save Steve Smith.

In addition to Tim Paine there are two Sheffield Shield Captains in the team.

Very cheerful, friend. It's a great day for me, a bunch of flogs being exposed for being flogs is always fun.

And thank you for admitting you don't really understand Godwin's Law - it very much does have a point, as asserted by Godwin himself. Seeing as it is not actually a 'truism' or a law at all, what would be the point of referring to it if it had no point?

Like Steve Smith I give you credit for owning up to it though, and I am happy to have helped you.
Always gonna be some moron who makes Hitler comparisons. I don't think you see the irony in your first statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain the 'irony' to me. It will be good for a laugh.
And before we get into the whole 'there is Nein reason to suspend him, Herr Smith was suspended and Bancroft was just following Ze orders' routine,
Nazi comparisons.
Seems pretty floggish to me. You can't compare the two. As far as I'm aware, neither Bancroft nor Smith has ever advocated genocide. The only thing you achieved is exposing yourself as a flog, something that you would supposedly enjoy if it were somebody else.

Smith did, but Bancroft didn't receive a ban, just a fine.

Hmm, I thought I heard that Bangers had been done and had accepted his ban in the time between when it came out and Smith admitted he was in on it, but that may have been 'he is expected to'

I feel like theres a difference between scratching the seam with your fingers or using a lolly to make your spit different, compared to actually getting some sandpaper and trying to scuff up the ball

I feel like there's a difference if it's an Australian than if it's Du Plessis, Kohli, Tendulkar, the English team including Trescothic, Philander. I am all for tough punishments but for all players not just Australians.

Last edited:
So weird that the punishments likely to be handed out as so far greater from our internal investigation than what the official body hands out. What other sport is like this?

Would be like an AFL side suspending their own player for 10 weeks after being suspended for one match at the tribunal.

I know right, what a peculiar outcome. Cameron Morally Bankrupt made the decision to impress the older kids, whether he was led astray or not is immaterial, he scrubbed the ball (no pun intended) with something he brought onto the ground illegally so is equally culpable. Rule of thumb fella, if you have to stash sandpaper against your pump nuggets in case the umpires search your pockets, it probably was a bad idea in the first place. The ironic thing is that everyone involved in spot-fixing gets a suspension, while ball tampering is a case-by-case scenario. Seems cricket hates players who try to lose a game illegally more than players who try to win a game illegally.

Well it maybe my moral code by spot fixing to me is way way worse than this. Trying to not win playing for your country for financial gain would be almost the worst thing you can imagine.

This was really stupid but their trying to win. Still isn’t good and they will cop an almighty whack.

Well it maybe my moral code by spot fixing to me is way way worse than this. Trying to not win playing for your country for financial gain would be almost the worst thing you can imagine.

This was really stupid but their trying to win. Still isn’t good and they will cop an almighty whack.

It's not just you, I'm sure the majority of people would agree with this. When you see all the papers describing ""Australia's Shame"and talk of life bans for Smith and Warner, it would be easy to imagine that would be the reaction to the Aussies admitting they had deliberately lost games for monetary reward. There would be no coming back from that. In comparison, trying to gain an unfair advantage in order to win the game actually almost seems mild.

I feel like theres a difference between scratching the seam with your fingers or using a lolly to make your spit different, compared to actually getting some sandpaper and trying to scuff up the ball

I guess one way of looking at it is to look at the outcome.

Let's say I want to change the ball so it will reverse.

To do that, I could use mints, zippers, fingernails or sandpaper. Same diff as long as it works.

That's what makes me laugh at Faf. Apparently ball shining with mints is different to ball tampering, despite them arriving at the same result - better reverse swing. Nah mate, you got caught altering the ball. End of.

It's not just you, I'm sure the majority of people would agree with this. When you see all the papers describing ""Australia's Shame"and talk of life bans for Smith and Warner, it would be easy to imagine that would be the reaction to the Aussies admitting they had deliberately lost games for monetary reward. There would be no coming back from that. In comparison, trying to gain an unfair advantage in order to win the game actually almost seems mild.

Australia is pretty tough on this. If you just bet on the other team, miraculously lose, collect your winnings and then lie about about it, we'll be so mad at you that we'll name you Chairman of Selectors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back