Bands who's biggest/most commercial albums were way shitter than their previous stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be easy to answer the "Arctic Monkeys" or "Black Keys", but Brothers and A&M both really appeal to me. Pearl Jam on the hand... well, nothing past Ten interests me at all.

It would be easy to answer the "Arctic Monkeys" or "Black Keys", but Brothers and A&M both really appeal to me. Pearl Jam on the hand... well, nothing past Ten interests me at all.
Don't really see how Arctic Monkeys could fit in here at all?

The Doobie Brothers cleaned up commercially with Minute By Minute, which was deliberately targeted at the middle of the road FM radio audience, but it lacked the musicianship of The Captain & Me, Toulouse Street, What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits, and Stampede. (The rot set in with Takin' It To The Streets.)

Nirvana's best work
50317238d9595b70cb74a9ea078ff64fb2ed62db.jpg

By best you mean most average?

A Night At The Opera is probably Queen's best-known album thanks to Bohemian Rhapsody, but Sheer Heart Attack, News Of The World and Jazz are superior. The Game is Queen's Born In The USA IMO, but many would rate it above ANATO.

They couldn't. Their Debut album is, I assume, their most popular and successful.

As a big fan of the band since their first release (have seen them play every time they've toured Australia), I do wonder if other fans who still think their first album is their best have A) Grown up at all since 2006, and B) Have actually listened to anything after 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'.

I do still like their first album, but IMO:

1. 'Suck It and See' (This album truly made me believe that Alex Turner is today's Ray Davies, and AM are a modern version of The Kinks)
2. 'Humbug'
3. 'AM'
4. 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'
5. 'Whatever People Say I Am...'

NIN Downward Spiral was a great album but it heralded the oncoming onslaught of formulaic electronic noise with a distinct Reznor touch that seemed far removed from Pretty Hate Machine and Broken/Fixed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a big fan of the band since their first release (have seen them play every time they've toured Australia), I do wonder if other fans who still think their first album is their best have A) Grown up at all since 2006, and B) Have actually listened to anything after 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'.

I do still like their first album, but IMO:

1. 'Suck It and See' (This album truly made me believe that Alex Turner is today's Ray Davies, and AM are a modern version of The Kinks)
2. 'Humbug'
3. 'AM'
4. 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'
5. 'Whatever People Say I Am...'

Similar love for the band, having seen them on all tours except their second -- bad timing.

1. Humbug
2. Favourite Worst Nightmare
3. AM
4. Whatever People Say I Am..
5. Suck it and see.

So, in my opinion, the back half of the songs on Suck it and see are as good as any they've ever done.

Reckless Serenade, Piledriver Waltz, Love is a laserquest, Suck it and see, That's where you're wrong.

I'd find myself skipping the first half of the album and just listening to those songs again and again. Perhaps it was their strength. Perhaps a weakness of the earlier tracks.

But prior to Suck it and see, I'd always listen to the each album again, and again and again, persisting with the tracks that I didn't enjoy that much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back