Bands with an amazing frontman but ordinary other members

Remove this Banner Ad

George Thorogood and The Destroyers

They're more in the category of Main Guy plus Backing Band, rather than a group in their own right. In any case I saw them in January - last live gig before COVID hit - and the Destroyers are all amazing musicians. One or two of them have been with George since the 70s. George himself is probably the least capable musician of the bunch, but he is a good songwriter and flamboyant showman.

For the same reason I wouldn't include Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band or Bob Marley and the Wailers. If anyone has ever assembled more talented backing bands, I'd love to hear of it.

For the same reason I wouldn't include Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band or Bob Marley and the Wailers. If anyone has ever assembled more talented backing bands, I'd love to hear of it.

don't know if more talented but I saw Toots and the Maytals about 10 years ago - far out what a night that was

Toots was wearing a ridiculous all red leather one piece suit -

though to be fair that kinda reggae/dub/ska just has to be tight to be good, nothing overly difficult

Others:

The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon is a great lyricist, and IMO carries the band with his songwriting. The guitarist plays simple leads, bassist isn’t memorable and drummer plays pretty standard pop-punk beats mostly.

Manchester Orchestra - Another band centred around good lyrics and great singing. Think Andy Hull actually plays a bit of lead himself, and trades off guitar lines with the other guitarist. Drummer, bassist, keyboardist are nothing to write home about.

Silverchair - Daniel Johns is far and away the most talented, and mid-way through their career he’d essentially just write an album and call the other members of the band in once the songs were almost finished.

The White Stripes - Obvious nod, but Meg White is a human metronome for Jack White’s virtuosic guitar work.
Gaslight anthem I saw a few years back. They were very boring to watch play. Just stood there. Was still a great concert but not eye catching

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Gaslight anthem I saw a few years back. They were very boring to watch play. Just stood there. Was still a great concert but not eye catching

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I was a bit put off as well when I saw them. Fallon certainly isn’t the most entertaining or charismatic performer, and then songs sounded exactly like they did on record - and not in a good way.

Bands with siblings are always easier to remember IMO.

But your point is well made, the band is/was basically Knopfler and Co.

I was going to nominate Ziggy and the Spiders but Bolder, Ronson and Woodmansey were all fantastic musicians in their own right

Yeah, Mick Ronson was a highly regarded guitarist.

A better example might be one of Bowie's close friends, Iggy Pop. He's worked with some influential musicians in his time (Asheton/Williamson/Steve Jones), but it's pretty much impossible to not be overshadowed by Iggy's larger-than-life persona and stage presence. Makes even Bowie, who was a great frontman in his own right, look positively milquetoast by comparison.

The more I think about this, the more terrible this call becomes. Muse was a live three piece for a long, long time, often with Bellamy playing songs only on piano. Maintaining those chaotic, intense musical dynamics would never have happened if Wolstenholme wasn’t as prolific with his unique and more than competent ability to write and play quite complex bass lines with his signature style and sound.

Yep, putrid call. Chris and Dom are both monsters

Also, Ben Gillies is a tremendous drummer, but Chris is pretty run of the mill

This thread is a little sexist, surely there are some amazing frontwomen who also fronted "ordinary" bands.

I'm going to suggest Siouxsie & The Banshees. Siouxsie Sioux was the obvious star and an amazing presence on stage. For most of the 20 years the Banshees were around she managed to surround herself with some wonderful musicians, but for the last 5-10 years there were some rather bland musicians such as John Carruthers, Jon Klein, Martin McCarrick and Knox Chandler. Still they managed to create a few wonderful albums in that period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To a certain degree, Brian Setzer of The Stray Cats.

Not an amazing frontman, but a good, bluesy guitarist and the only member of that band who was even close to nameworthy. Later appeared on the Simpsons.
Setzer is more than good he's an incredible guitarist complete virtuoso.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back