Bandy?

Remove this Banner Ad

dogboy23

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Originally posted by PC28
Why do you think it would be such a bad idea?
Well i dont think he is a good enough ruckman to be able to help out Darcey,his forward skills arnt all that great and i dont think he can play as a backman which makes it even worse if we lose ellis for him because then if we have even 1 injury it will throw our balance out.:confused:

I think he'd be handy. In 1999 I think it was he was really good and if he could return to that form it would be great. he would have to eb a better option then Dooley as a back-up and he has played CHB with some effect. If we don't have to give up much for him I say take it. Freo players have a history of prospering at other clubs. i.e. Kingsley Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P

PC28

I think it would be a good pick up, much along the same lines as Bulldogs54. We need a back up ruckmen. The kids are a couple of years away, as young ruckmen take just a little longer to devolop than say midfielders. I say go for it. Its apparent that Dooley will not be the answer, and to be honest, if we are looking at Bandy, i'd say Dooley's days are numbered...

dogboy23

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Originally posted by Bulldog1954
I think he'd be handy. In 1999 I think it was he was really good and if he could return to that form it would be great. he would have to eb a better option then Dooley as a back-up and he has played CHB with some effect. If we don't have to give up much for him I say take it. Freo players have a history of prospering at other clubs. i.e. Kingsley Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to see Kingsley play forwar4d next season and if we trade Ellis for Bandy this will not be possible.:(

jim440

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2001
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
I agree with Dogboy.

Bandy can't ruck (even with Michael out Freo went with Longmuir instead) and has been a failure up forward.

If we were to play him as a defender, who could he match up on? He's not strong enough to take someone like Ottens, and too slow to take someone smaller.

I'm hoping we get a key defener as well. If not Croft at Full Back, Penny at CHB, Coxy and Kritter maybe. If not Kingsley is good enough to play CHB when the balls down the opponents end and then use his electrifying pace to be a dynamic forward option. Or he can just do what he did against the Lions R2 2000 and run the whole length and kick perhaps the greatest goal ever seen

eagleton10

Debutant
Jul 19, 2001
eagle's nest
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some Doggies fans say that we shouldn't get rid of Ellis because we have a lack of defenders. He is an absolute, 100%, bonafide superdud and just because he is apparently a defender doesn't mean we need him. We need defenders that either have skill or can actually DEFEND.

sigscotty

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
The thing is at Freo you can only be any good on natural ability. That is they simply fail to develop their players. Look at all the guys that have left and been good players at other clubs. I reckon Bandy has enough that Dempsey and co. could make him into a very handy back up for Darcy.

Westy_Boy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2001
Smeltona, Melbourne
No problems with that trade, at all.

Bandy had a pretty good season last year playing as a key defender for most of it. Fell away badly this year though.

But almost every way you look at it, it's a win.

Marking -- Bandy a far better mark than Ellis, and a lot stronger in a contest.

Speed/Endurance/Fitness -- For a big man, Bandy has explosive pace. Ellis doesn't. I would say he would be one fo fittest blokes on Freo's list.

Footy nous -- The downside of the point above is the old "athlete, not a footballer" description. Wrong options, plain dumb decisions etc. Has been showing some signs in recent years that he's improving, but still hasn't stepped up.

Disposal -- Ditto -- not a major win, sometimes shocking, but he can kick it a mile.

Height -- 200cm - 10cm taller than Ellis -- Big bonus, and we'll finally have someone who can take the likes of Ottens etc, wheras in the past we've had to opt for Croft/Penny/Ellis -- always been 4-5" too small for the bigger forawrds.

Flexibility -- Bandy is a good option in the ruck, just to throw it up a little. Wont be damaging, but will be able to hold his own, while Darcy is resting in the forward line. Bandy can also cause a few headaches while up forward himself.

Application -- Has a reputation of being really, really lazy. Hopefully the influence of Wallace, and a chance at playing in the finals for the first time, will change that.

Age -- A few months younger -- No major advantage there.

I'm not saying that Bandy will be a gun that will take the competition by storm :D, but compared to Ellis... it's a win. Very astute trade, IMO. Knowing our luck with trades though, Ellis will somehow find the form of '97, and win Melbourne's B&F :mad: :rolleyes:

K9-54

Club Legend
May 18, 2001
SH
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Originally posted by Westy_Boy
Footy nous -- The downside of the point above is the old "athlete, not a footballer" description. Wrong options, plain dumb decisions etc. Has been showing some signs in recent years that he's improving, but still hasn't stepped up.

Disposal -- Ditto -- not a major win, sometimes shocking, but he can kick it a mile.
Both points noted as potential negatives. But he still beats Ellis on both those counts too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagle_Fan

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2000
Wooshaville
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you'll find him a worthwhile pickup. Amazing athleticism for a guy so tall, well proportioned & better near ground level than others his size. Not real useful as a centre-square ruck, but for around the ground ruck contests is very handy. (Handy Bandy? :p)

Just get a stack of happy & positive thoughts into his head as soon as he gets over there, and try to stay positive if (when) he does do the odd strange thing. He is a confidence player to the extreme, but when his head's right, he can do anything.

Enjoy :)

Eagle_Fan

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2000
Wooshaville
AFL Club
West Coast
Entirely possible, though it's hard to tell now, with every second club linked to any slightly disgruntled or stale player. :p

Personally I think the change in envronment will do DB a world of good too. It's bizarre when players from here move over to Melbourne, they realise there's actually more than just the two WA teams in the comp, and gain a lot of perspective towards their game.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I dont know about Bandy. I wouldnt want him at WC so maybe thats saying something about him....however go for your life and get him :D

K though is right he is a confidence player and is handy in around the ground ruck contests. Can fall away though and do really stupid things during games.

dogboy23

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I admit that Bandy could be handy as a back up to Darcy and that Ellis is not a big loss but my point is if we have say injuries to croft(likely) and Penny, if bandy cannot step up then we will struggle even more in the backline.:(

Captain Sensible

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jan 8, 2001
On the 'Group W' bench.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Good swap for us and the Dees. Ellis will play good footy at Melbourne. He will have taller defenders around him and will be able to just mop up and not be so accountable all the time. Whether or not he has the disposal skills to rebound out of defence is the question.

Bandy at least gives us a target up forward and means that Grant can play in defence.

Does anyone know whether or not we gave up a draft choice as well?

eagleton10

Debutant
Jul 19, 2001
eagle's nest
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I heard that we will gave up our second pick (26 overall). If we only end up giving Ellis then it will be a good trade for us. But if we give up pick 26 we are getting rorted. If Bandy was delisted and put into the draft I doubt whether he would be picked up as early as pick 26.

K9-54

Club Legend
May 18, 2001
SH
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tend to agree. I don't have a big problem with the fact that the trade effectively values Ellis at zero because I would delist him anyway, but I'm not sure that Bandy is worth #26.

The Doctor

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2001
In the number 19 jumper
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I was certainly on the anti-Bandy crusade. I was hoping if we traded Ellis we might get a mid range draft pick becuase I'm all for rebuilding the club with youth.

If this deal has gone thru as a straight swap I could live with that I suppose but if we have given up a draft pick as well.......no I won't go there.

Westy_Boy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2001
Smeltona, Melbourne
Not so much a change of heart on the actual player, Last Call -- I actually said I wouldn't mind Bandy despite him being clumsy -- But for a second round draft pick (which was suggested at the time), I would be very quick to knock it back.

And ironically, that's what we're now offering?!? I hope they know what they're doing (i.e. asking for Leoncelli as well :D).

I'm happy for Bandy to come to us in the trade initially suggested, because compared to Ellis, we're getting good value in return.

But Ellis + a second round pick ? -- No way in the world would I pay that kind of price (possibly another Guido etc) for what essentially is a fringe player.

Like I said on the official forum -- Look at the players that have been swapped for that kind of selection in the draft -- Cameron = 3rd round pick, Murhpy / Rehn = Late first round/ early Second round picks, Harrison = 3rd round pick.

High draft picks should be treated like GOLD in this draft -- not given away like that. If that pick were to be used in a package to snare a bigger name -- no probs .... but not Bandy.

Eagleton10,

Where did ya here about that pick being included?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back