thegoldenbear

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2001
In the cyber woods
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The captain of the club is lining up for goal.......he's about 40 out......slight angle but nothing too great....the team is making a huge comeback in the last quarter and a goal wil put them within 6 points.....he's won a brownlow....get heaps of the footy when he plays so this is nothing new....he stabs at it.....and swings it in miserably for a behind.

How many years has Robert Harvey's kicking for goal been an issue? Not that I'm forgetting the one Hammil missed also but it just stumps me nothing has been done to fix it. Stewie got help, Nick Holland got help. after he'd taken the mark, a bloke infront of me who was also a St Kilda supporter (and a realist) turned to me and said "he's gonna pull this across goal. He kicks the ball like a short pass all the time". I laughed at him and told him that it wasn't too far for him so he could kick properly. If you're that guy that told me that I owe you a beer. The kids must drop their heads when they see the leader of the club miss an easy and extremely game turning shot for goal.

First game back or not, hand back the captaincy if the heat is getting to hot in the kitchen.

Sorry goldenbear but after today's performance I can't believe the biggest thing you took out of the game was that.

Now I realise I'll get the usual "Stop accepting mediocrity" spiel but how can you be critical of Banger?

It was his first game since round 2 for goodness sake. He took a while to re-adjust to the tempo of the game but I thought his trademark breaks from the centre of the ground was inspirational. He made a massive difference to the centre of the ground, not just by his own input but in taking the pressure of the likes of Thommo and Lenny who have had to carry the load of late. Yes, the miss in the last quarter was crucial but he got the ball many times and provided great run. If any other player came back into a side and performed like he did they'd be praised, not treated with contempt and have their credentials as captain questioned.

His goal kicking is a weakness. We know that. Perhaps we could sack him and redraft Jason Heatley. Who cares that he didn't get a touch or take a mark in his last two years with us because he sure as hell can kick straight.

Obviously Harvey is a more highly regarded player then Milne, but I know who I would rather have shooting for goal in a pressure situation, or for that matter be more likely a potential matchwinner.

Originally posted by wagstaff
Obviously Harvey is a more highly regarded player then Milne, but I know who I would rather have shooting for goal in a pressure situation, or for that matter be more likely a potential matchwinner.

You cannot be serious.
Ask Andrew Thompson who he'd rather be playing with.
No matter what you say Robert Harvey makes those around him play twice as good.

No coincidence that St Kildas 3 best games this year have involved Harvey beating his opponent.
Even today St Kildas best patch involved Harvey being on fire, after spending the last 10 minutes of the 3rd Q on the bench Harvey turned the Saints around.

In order of match winning importance to the Saints it goes

Harvey Everitt Gehrig......................the rest.

Originally posted by thegoldenbear

First game back or not, hand back the captaincy if the heat is getting to hot in the kitchen.

?

It's amazing how you can justify missing one set shot at goal as a captaincy breaker.

What a load of crap.

How much better did the whole ****ing side play just because he was out there? Did that go through your mind?

Originally posted by sainter
Sorry goldenbear but after today's performance I can't believe the biggest thing you took out of the game was that.

It dosn't get more higher than the captain of the team. Yeah sure the team plays better with him on the ground, but does that entitle him to be immune from criticism? The confidence of team is already shakey enough (Milne excepted - lol). Kicking that goal after being away for a while is exactly what was needed. A set shot from 40 out isn't asking too much from a senior player who practices them at training every week. Let's see how it goes...takes the mark, then walks back to line it up, stands there for a while, runs in (this must be where the tempo of the game comes in to it), and kicks.

I take it back. I am being unreasonable as usual. But I wonder what they're saying on the bulldogs board about their captain?

win to us

Originally posted by BIG POPPA PUMP

Agree with that.

Johnstone and Woewodin, 2 best midfielders in the game yesterday. ;)

aaaagreed!!

i wasn't able to go to the match :( but from what i heard, saw and all the rest, you guys were on the ball the whole time and kept on our tail (and even got infront for a bit :( ).

good effort by all ya players (most of them anyway) and i would say that harvey plays a HUGE roll for you, but at the same time, so does milne

The captain of the club is lining up for goal.......he's about 40 out......slight angle but nothing too great....the team is making a huge comeback in the last quarter and a goal wil put them within 6 points.....he's won a brownlow....get heaps of the footy when he plays so this is nothing new....he stabs at it.....and swings it in miserably for a behind.

How many years has Robert Harvey's kicking for goal been an issue? Not that I'm forgetting the one Hammil missed also but it just stumps me nothing has been done to fix it. Stewie got help, Nick Holland got help. after he'd taken the mark, a bloke infront of me who was also a St Kilda supporter (and a realist) turned to me and said "he's gonna pull this across goal. He kicks the ball like a short pass all the time". I laughed at him and told him that it wasn't too far for him so he could kick properly. If you're that guy that told me that I owe you a beer. The kids must drop their heads when they see the leader of the club miss an easy and extremely game turning shot for goal.

bit harsh goaldenbear, we play much better footy with harvey in the side and i am sure the kids play better with him out there even if he does miss a set shot at goal. you are right to be critical of the team not taking their opportunities in the last quarter because if they had of we would have won the game, as we were finishing the game much stronger than them.

you must be in favour of the new club yearly captaincy rotation policy then. ;)

i must admit when i left the game i was thinking that xavier clarke had played his best game yet for the club and how much time dal santo seems to have when he has the ball and then how well he uses it. reiwoldt continues to take pack marks and is showing signs that he might be better than just a good player and i can't wait for him and kossi to actually play games together.

It dosn't get more higher than the captain of the team. Yeah sure the team plays better with him on the ground, but does that entitle him to be immune from criticism? The confidence of team is already shakey enough (Milne excepted - lol). Kicking that goal after being away for a while is exactly what was needed. A set shot from 40 out isn't asking too much from a senior player who practices them at training every week. Let's see how it goes...takes the mark, then walks back to line it up, stands there for a while, runs in (this must be where the tempo of the game comes in to it), and kicks.

I take it back. I am being unreasonable as usual. But I wonder what they're saying on the bulldogs board about their captain?

Of course I'm not saying that Harvey should be immune from criticism. You questioned whether he should be captain because he missed a shot at goal and isn't the best set shot in the league. That's what I took exception too. I can't believe that you don't recognise him as not only a fantastic midfielder averaging 30+ possessions a game but someone who inspires the rest of his teammates. I haven't seen a player with better evasive skills nor endurance. His dedication to our football club is right up there with anyone to have represented St Kilda and that is saying a lot. Those reasons are part of what makes him great captaincy material and if he can remain injury free will lead our team with distinction.

As I said in the first sentence of my initial reponse I find it hard to believe this is the thing you took from the game. Xavier Clarke showed us some of the skill and ability that we have been promised, Nick Dal Santo plays like a seasoned professional and Stevie Lawrence played his best match for the club.

Sure we lost again but as this season progresses we will continue to see our youngsters improve while getting one or two of our experienced players back each week.

Maybe I'm too positive at times but I read enough negativity about the club in the newspapers and hear it from opposition supporters. It's not all doom and gloom.

Re: Re: Banger's kicking skills

Originally posted by StrengthThroughLoyalty

i must admit when i left the game i was thinking that xavier clarke had played his best game yet for the club and how much time dal santo seems to have when he has the ball and then how well he uses it. reiwoldt continues to take pack marks and is showing signs that he might be better than just a good player and i can't wait for him and kossi to actually play games together.

Xavier Clarke won the rising star nomination this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Banger's kicking skills

Originally posted by samm

they already have!!, look on the main board!!

being a st kilda supporter, i am beginning to feel persecuted :D :D

I did look! That's why I wrote it!

Don't worry- we have every bloody right to be happy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back