Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka (2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Drawn match last night. Bangladesh look the better team here, but not that much better to get result just yet.

Seems like forever since Shakib, Mushfique and Tamim all played together in a Test. Litton Das is starting to come good as their wicketkeeper-batsmen and new guy Joy seems like a genuinely good opener.

Seems like forever since Shakib, Mushfique and Tamim all played together in a Test. Litton Das is starting to come good as their wicketkeeper-batsmen and new guy Joy seems like a genuinely good opener.

Real solid batting & spin

Sri Lankas spinners have been horrific from what I have seen of this series. The pitches have been on the flat side by Bangladesh standards but they've got a combined 2/408 for the series so far against a side who got rolled for under 100 twice by Maharaj and Harmer 6 weeks ago.

Rajitha has atleast shown something since he came in as the concussion sub in the 1st Test. They need him to step up too now that Suranga Lakmal has retired from international cricket to give the young seamers a chance (i.e. to take a county deal worth more money. Can't blame him either).

Heck of a stand from these two. Geez Mushy is an underrated cricketer
What an amazing turnaround, 5/24 to 5/277 at stumps.

I love Test cricket.

Heck of a stand from these two. Geez Mushy is an underrated cricketer

Thought I'd share a post I made on another forum about Mushfiq's somewhat unrepresentative career record. His numbers basically took a significant hit due to debuting years before he was ready. In any other country he probably wouldn't have been near the test team until he was approaching his mid 20s, but we stuck him in the deep end when he was still in Year 10.

Between his debut as a 16 year old at Lords in 2005 and his 21st birthday he played 8 test matches making scores of 19, 3, 2, 9, 9, 80, 11*, 1, 7, 6, 8, 0, 7, 2, 15 and 4. That's 174 runs at an average of 11.6.

During that time he faced the full English battery of Flintoff, Jones, Harmison and Hoggard, followed by a series against Vettori's Kiwis, then two tests against Murali and Vaas's Sri Lankans, and then finally two tests against Steyn, Ntini and Morkel's South Africans. And to be fair, he's rarely faced that sort of quality in the years since.

Mushfiq teenage.png

He started finding his feet after his 21st birthday in 2008, and since then he's made 5038 runs in nearly 15 years of test cricket at an average of 41.29 while also keeping for two thirds of those matches.

Mushfiq Adult.png

Since he handed over the gloves to Liton Das in 2015, he's made 1673 runs in 25 matches at an average of 44.02.

Mushfiq batsman.png

Overall, he's been a fantastic test cricketer for a very long time. It's just a shame he flies under the radar because he plays for Bangladesh.

* numbers defo boosted by his 170 in the ongoing test at Dhaka

Thought I'd share a post I made on another forum about Mushfiq's somewhat unrepresentative career record. His numbers basically took a significant hit due to debuting years before he was ready. In any other country he probably wouldn't have been near the test team until he was approaching his mid 20s, but we stuck him in the deep end when he was still in Year 10.

Between his debut as a 16 year old at Lords in 2005 and his 21st birthday he played 8 test matches making scores of 19, 3, 2, 9, 9, 80, 11*, 1, 7, 6, 8, 0, 7, 2, 15 and 4. That's 174 runs at an average of 11.6.

During that time he faced the full English battery of Flintoff, Jones, Harmison and Hoggard, followed by a series against Vettori's Kiwis, then two tests against Murali and Vaas's Sri Lankans, and then finally two tests against Steyn, Ntini and Morkel's South Africans. And to be fair, he's rarely faced that sort of quality in the years since.

View attachment 1408446

He started finding his feet after his 21st birthday in 2008, and since then he's made 5038 runs in nearly 15 years of test cricket at an average of 41.29 while also keeping for two thirds of those matches.

View attachment 1408447

Since he handed over the gloves to Liton Das in 2015, he's made 1673 runs in 25 matches at an average of 44.02.

View attachment 1408448

Overall, he's been a fantastic test cricketer for a very long time. It's just a shame he flies under the radar because he plays for Bangladesh.

* numbers defo boosted by his 170 in the ongoing test at Dhaka

Totally agree. He and Tamim are the first Bangladeshi batsmen I think who really came to grips with foreign conditions, he obviously has kept for a lot of his career, he has led, and he’s done most of his batting - with lower frequency in recent years of course - with a relatively lopsided scoreboard adding extra pressure to what he does.

He’s a seriously good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back