Oppo Camp Banter with a Hawthorn supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I have no problems with Hawks fans being arrogant on their own board, so they should, that's where they are supposed to be confident. No different to our excitement on this board!!

It does make me lol though that they are getting riled up over the media coverage like it is going to make a difference to the score line. Wait until they see the scenes at the Perth airport, even the sniffer dogs were wearing purple!

Re: The media coverage. Its not about how they are rating us, I actually like that everyone has jumped on the Freo wagon. It is more that as a participant of Grand Final week, as a supporter you like to soak in all of the atmosphere being 1 or 2 teams competing. However on most of the AFL shows this week, 90% of the coverage has been about Freo, whilst very little mention of Hawthorn. On the Couch was a perfect example, the only mention of Hawthorn was our kicking yips, mental weakness, and Clarko coaching West Coast. It just takes away from the week a little. Anyway, we all know it counts for nothing come saturday.

Re: The media coverage. Its not about how they are rating us, I actually like that everyone has jumped on the Freo wagon. It is more that as a participant of Grand Final week, as a supporter you like to soak in all of the atmosphere being 1 or 2 teams competing. However on most of the AFL shows this week, 90% of the coverage has been about Freo, whilst very little mention of Hawthorn. On the Couch was a perfect example, the only mention of Hawthorn was our kicking yips, mental weakness, and Clarko coaching West Coast. It just takes away from the week a little. Anyway, we all know it counts for nothing come saturday.

It's only because the flogs on the media haven't been apying any attention to what Freo have been doing and so we've surprised them. So now we have over the top analysis to catch up to the boot licking of hawthorn they've been doing all year. To be honest I'm getting sick of the excess coverage now and just want to get on with it.

No I have no idea if it was more than one, I am saying that I read the post as it was the 'general tone'. I am avoiding your board, the MB is as far as I get :D

I was just hoping it was inspired by an actual interaction, coz as an impromptu generalization it comes off as a bit rash.

Probably because you guys have been covered as contenders every year since 2008 ad nauseum, and have consistently fallen short, that commentators are weary of promoting you heavily.

Hawthorn's strengths are well known. They've been evident for years, covered, praised. I remember Paul Roos talking you up as premiership favourites in 2011 because you'd helped resolved the ruck issue with Hale. I remember thinking at the time that you still lacked outside run and a half decent key defender.

You've basically covered all your potential weaknesses now, but it is natural to have doubts.

Well, I'm in WA but there has been a fair bit about Hawthorn on AFL360 and AFL Insider. But will agree with you about On the Couch, there was a lot of love for us on that one. Haven't watch any FTA shows, other than what Sirengate has posted here.

Surely the papers/radio over there are all about Hawthorn?? I can understand the interest in Freo though, first time ever, I mean ever......How many grand finals have you seen your team play in?

I was just hoping it was inspired by an actual interaction, coz as an impromptu generalization it comes off as a bit rash.

Well, the person who posted it may have examples. I was only explaining how I read it. I also saw it as a bit of banter.

Anyway, good luck on Saturday.

Well, I'm in WA but there has been a fair bit about Hawthorn on AFL360 and AFL Insider. But will agree with you about On the Couch, there was a lot of love for us on that one. Haven't watch any FTA shows, other than what Sirengate has posted here.

Surely the papers/radio over there are all about Hawthorn?? I can understand the interest in Freo though, first time ever, I mean ever......How many grand finals have you seen your team play in?

Yeah as I have said before, I absolutely understand the reasoning behind it. There is much more of a story in Freo making their first GF. Hawthorn making it, was expected and boring.

But as a fan, you do want to soak in as much as you can. It may be the last one you experience for a while. So you can see why Hawks supporters get a little frustrated. But as I said before, it counts for nothing. Only one set of supporters will be happy come saturday afternoon, regardless of the weeks media build up.

ImageGen.ashx

How can you link to a vibe?

Yeah, I noticed that ... well how could you miss it really. It's the thing about being the new-comer to the party, it's the novelty factor add that to the under-dog tag, the media, most of whom have the attention span of a lobotomised goldfish, just love it. As a Freo fan I'm loving it, but I'm under no illusions. It's fleeting and will do nothing but distract from the main job at hand and frankly I'm not putting too much weight on it.

Bandwagonsers, media etc. aside. Hawks are favourites and rightly so. I guess you can take comfort in that ... until we win the big one on Saturday :p

Don't take it too literally or personally. That would be my suggestion. Most Hawks fans are confident, as they should be really, maybe at times that comes across as arrogant, and some times it flat out is arrogance. But unless this thread was sitting in the Hawks board, I think you can let it slide and take it for what it is.

More than one? One link will do.
I've steered clear of all the banter BS this week as I just wanted to enjoy the week. When I saw the lopsided coverage from the media I jumped on you're board to wish you guys well and sympathise with all the BS from Sheehan and co. Sadly when I checked back in many of the peeps (some that liked my post) where slagging our club saying we are a joke, not a real club and a laughing stock.

Won't be going back on your board. I also won't be painting any broad strokes as I'm sure you won't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back