BARASSI LiNE

Remove this Banner Ad

Football leads the way on so many issues and for the first time we will see a female officiate as an AFL umpire.

A sport like rugby league is so far behind in all aspects that it is only a matter of time before most of QLD and NSW is gulped up by the Barassi line.

We had some priceless media coverage with the China game and the female umpire while the rugby league is dealing with a cocaine explosion which is dominating all the rugby league coverage.

Sydney people care more about who is on the most drugs than the scores of rugby league games.
This is a good one.

And you are ++++ stirring in it up to your neck Mate!So heres something for you to choke on your beer.

I believe the both the rugby codes have bleak futures both here and abroad due the massive impact that political correctness and the rise of feminism is having on all sports particularly violent ones
Women by and large are not into violent brutal sports and as they are the ones who control what little johnny does and have a massive input to what they play or dont play and will steer the little darlings to play something a lot softer
The other problem we all know but dare not speak of is the dominance of the Islanders at junior and for that matter at senior Rugby/RL levels and this is not about being racist in any its just noting the facts and as the % of non Islander kids drops away so do many good players get lost to other competing sports right across the board.

I think in particular the rise and influence of feminism across all of society will have a detrimental effect on what many would regard as "manly" sports and its a freight train that aint stopping any time soon to take on any passengers.

The AFL have sniffed the winds of change weather rightly or wrongly and are using any chance to show how much they love and need female imput - who would have though the there would be female field umpire at the highest AFL level starting from this weekend and yes she can bounce the ball as good as a man.
I am surprised you would infer or concede that Rugby League is more "manly" then AF.

Rugby League also has less contact versions of the game:-
- touch footy
- Tag

That said, I agree with the general notion that non contact sports are far easier to grow in terms of participation numbers. Oddly enough though, from my own experience these days the juniors in my area are very much not how you have mentioned.

The world city rankings put Sydney in the second level or Alpha plus band. Melbourne is in the 4th level as an Alpha minus city.
Sydney is clearly more of a global city that Melbourne.
I think I follow that ;)
The British international business magazine, The Economist, has the most quoted & respected annual rating of "The World's Most Liveable City". This is based on health, education, amenity, housing quality, public transport, safety, pollution, safety/justice system etc factors. Melb.regularly wins the no.1 rating - I am not aware of Sydney ever winning it.

Syd. certainly has more foreign Head Offices; & the harbour/ harbourside suburbs are certainly more attractive than Melb.s bay/bayside suburbs. My comments related to suburban attractiveness, amenity, & proximity to the CBD.
Melb. has also retained much of its period Victorian architecture & charm (Syd., Brisbane, & Perth demolished most of theirs). The CBD has wide streets, many bars, restaurants, theatres, Vic. market, 'G & Etihad, & many Gardens - survey reasons given by tourists for Melb. being the biggest inbound tourist destination.

As Our Game alludes to above, I am often bemused at how Syd. residents have commented to me on Melb.'s "terrible weather"! Yet Syd. has far more rainfall, storms, high humidity than Melb.! Syd. winters are better, though. I want Syd. to keep its mantle as Aust.'s biggest city -no advantage for Melb. if it overtakes Syd., as some demographers are predicting.

Re "chip on the shoulder", the NRL often follows initiatives implemented by the AFL (the latest being that the NRL wants a Syd.central stadium strategy; & wishes to introduce a national women's comp. c. 2022. Coincidental with the AFLW great success?).
And GR NRL supporters often make comparisons with the AFL's success, its policies, the"threat" -never the reverse (except for NRL SOO).

For "chip on the shoulder"comparisons, the League Unlimited website settles the discussion INCONTROVERTIBLY -LU is very sad, on a range of perspectives.
Papabear, on BF, continues this LU tradition - claiming falsely AFL fans are racist, and literally comparing them to the Ku Klux Klan

Last edited:

The British international business magazine, The Economist, has the most quoted & respected annual rating of "The World's Most Liveable City". This is based on health, education, amenity, housing quality, public transport, safety, pollution, safety/justice system etc factors. Melb.regularly wins the no.1 rating - I am not aware of Sydney ever winning it.

Syd. certainly has more foreign Head Offices; & the harbour/ harbourside suburbs are certainly more attractive than Melb.s bay/bayside suburbs. My comments related to suburban attractiveness, amenity, & proximity to the CBD.
Melb. has also retained much of its period Victorian architecture & charm (Syd., Brisbane, & Perth demolished most of theirs). The CBD has wide streets, many bars, restaurants, theatres, Vic. market, 'G & Etihad, & many Gardens - survey reasons given by tourists for Melb. being the biggest inbound tourist destination.

As Our Game alludes to above, I am often bemused at how Syd. residents have commented to me on Melb.'s "terrible weather"! Yet Syd. has far more rainfall, storms, high humidity than Melb.! Syd. winters are better, though. I want Syd. to keep its mantle as Aust.'s biggest city -no advantage for Melb. if it overtakes Syd., as some demographers are predicting.

Re "chip on the shoulder", the NRL often follows initiatives implemented by the AFL (the latest being that the NRL wants a Syd.central stadium strategy; & wishes to introduce a national women's comp. c. 2022. Coincidental with the AFLW great success?).
And GR NRL supporters often make comparisons with the AFL's success, its policies, the"threat" -never the reverse (except for NRL SOO).

For "chip on the shoulder"comparisons, the League Unlimited website settles the discussion INCONTROVERTIBLY -LU is very sad, on a range of perspectives.
Papabear, on BF, continues this LU tradition - claiming falsely AFL fans are racist, and literally comparing them to the Ku Klux Klan

So far as the AFL is concerned its the its the arrogant Vic centric attitude which most in Qld/NSW, & me! object to most of all.

This is a good one.

Which is the one that caused you to lose your shyt....the other handful you have sieved out just demonstrated how sensitive you are. Two of them just highlighted that league has far less participatory presence in Victoria than Union. So you have found two or three posts in ten page thread that had genuinely negative things to say about Rugby League culture and its hatred of the AFL.

Which is the one that caused you to lose your shyt....the other handful you have sieved out just demonstrated how sensitive you are. Two of them just highlighted that league has far less participatory presence in Victoria than Union. So you have found two or three posts in ten page thread that had genuinely negative things to say about Rugby League culture and its hatred of the AFL.
my shyt remains well and truly found.

I just posted the above, because you guys started posting that this thread was not dumping on rugby league.

Regarding my comment regarding the KKK, I stand by it, just like Adam Goodes likes to call out racism every once in a while so do I. If people are going to post commentary that casts negative inferences on polynesians simply because they are polynesian then that is what is going to happen.

IMO comments such as ... a lot of there juniors are PI's or only PI's play that game. IMO that sort of comment infers negativity on that group of people because they arent white.

And you just inadvertently established that it is not. You are just going out of your way to get offended
eh, state of mind is relative, especially over the internet ;)

Though I do not think it is unreasonable to repost the posts from which I made my opinion, especially as that opinion was being challenged.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting league is bigger than union in Victoria?

As far as AFL in Victoria is concerned, I think we can assume they are the biggest sport.

Is that better?

No, he thought that stating that union is bigger than league in Victoria was an example of "dumping on rugby league"

I fail to see how union v league in melbourne is relevamt to this thread about the barassi line except for people to make negative inferences about league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ru is nad a
I'm sorry, are you suggesting league is bigger than union in Victoria?

As far as AFL in Victoria is concerned, I think we can assume they are the biggest sport.

Is that better?
RU is and has been bigger that RL in Melbourne dew to being played a many Private schools for over 100 years RL has no historical history in Melbourne to speak of.

I fail to see how union v league in melbourne is relevamt to this thread about the barassi line except for people to make negative inferences about league.

It was raised because it is relevant to how much australian football is played north of the line compared to RL south of it.

The world city rankings put Sydney in the second level or Alpha plus band. Melbourne is in the 4th level as an Alpha minus city.
Sydney is clearly more of a global city that Melbourne.
I think I follow that ;)

Please explain the meaning of "global" city are not all cities on this planet "Global"? as in being actually on the surface of a globe that is our little blue planet

All I know is Melbourne is now powering ahead quite nicely and all indices are on the way up and thats a good thing.

Melbourne can never have the harbour views that Sydney has but who cares? You cant see the harbour from a few KMs away and 90% of Sydneysiders dont get a view.Take the harbour away from Sydney and the rest of the place is very ordinary
I have travelled to many cities around the world Sydney is so far behind the likes of London,Paris Moscow, New York,Shanghai,Singapore,Toyko,Seoul,Berlin,Rio and Beijing its not even funny Now they are real Global cities

And while on on RL how about sometime in the future they have some ORIGINAL ideas and not just lazily rip off and copy the trendsetters the AFL.
Even their almighty SSO is a clone from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back